Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

I like that part. And my 'technical correct' assertion is 100% opposite to yours. What does that say about yours?

I doubt any of us have the full details on what really was, and is, happening in the corridors of power around here. My reflection was on the bigger picture, there is no doubt TRT was removed because of pressure from certain groups that lost big money on Thaksin's politics.

That was surely one aspect, but there was much more. The fear that he was aiming for a life-time appointment was a real one too.

The current government is still not elected by peoples vote

The current government is elected by the peoples vote.

Please show us any proof it isn't.

What I meant was, I was wrong on the two elections, there was only one in 2007 after Thaksin got booted.

So you're technically correct on that issue. My bad.

For the rest of the arguments, I rest my case. If one really believes that everything has been done according to "entirely democratic measures", I guess I am not qualified to play with the self appointed "big boys". :)

And if I understood you correct, the justification for the coup was based on suspicion that Thaksin conspired to make himself life-time president, while sitting in a sauna in Finland? Cool!

By the 'basic laws on the books',

and of the 2007 constitution that the Thai People voted yea on ,

and by the fact that those who voted for Abhisit as PM,

being Elected Ministers of Parliament, by the Thai People in an open election,

Abhisit and the Dems are legally and fully the government of Thailand.

As recognized even by the likes of Hun Sen and the MKyanmar Junta,

as well as legitimate leaders such as Brown, Sarkozy, Obama, Medvedev,

and so many others world wide.

Any other opinion, leaning on post coup sour grapes, is missing the basic point,

almost EVERY Government and Constitution in Thailand's history,

have been Post-Coup institutions. So nothing new or unusual.

Look at Israel, currently run by a MINORITY lead coalition, because the winner

could NOT put or keep a coalition together. It is totally LEGAL,

and the same as Thailands coalition.

The only ones to benefit from the LESS strict 1997 constitution being brought back,

are the people who broke laws in the 2007 one, and lost their seats at the table for 5 years.

And don't confuse Pheu Thai's wild, ranting, gyrations in pretense of a real opposition party,

they are not, haven't even attempted a true policy based Shadow government.

They have one aim, discredit the current government at ALL COSTS,

in the hope of bringing back their leader Thaksin in any way that does it.

So if PTP says the constitution is not correct, in spite of tyhe peoples endorsement

and that the current government isn't legal, in spite of EVERY legal challenge they have made being rebuffed;

You can clearly see that;

their veracity, and grasp of reality, or at least true governance functionality,

is severely impaired at best. At worse a horrendous mendacity of world class proportions,

inverse to their purported goodwill towards the Thai People as a whole.

1. The Israeli government coalition was not militarily enforced

2. The 1997 constitution is more radical than you suggest, fewer democratic checks and balances

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people of Isaan may love him, but unfortunately for Thaksin, the people of Isaan don't matter. Guns and money are against him, he's got nothing but popularity which rarely counts for much in military-dominated politics in SE Asia.

Are you saying he does not have rather powerful friends in Thailand? Don't think you are right. He also has some powerful friends in Asean countries and Brunei

Update:

Thaksin thanks Hun Sen for appointing him as adviser

Fugitive ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday that it is an honour for him that Cambodian government appointed him as an economic adviser for the premier and the government.

"I would like to thank (Cambodia's Prime Minister)'s Hun Sen for appointing me as his economic adviser," Thaksin said in his twitter (Thaksinlive).

King Sihamoni signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-05

I wonder how long it will be before Thaksin is a fugitive from cambodia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index, http://www.rsf.org/Reporters-Without-Borders,4116.html

I'm not trying to prove any point. According to Reporters Without Borders press freedom improved between 2002 - 2004, and since then it is downhill with the exception of 2008.

Again, I did not claim that all indicators improved during Thaksin's reign, but most.

Will add placement to the values, for ref.

2002 - 22,75 - #65

2003 - 19,67 - #82

2004 - 14,00 - #59

2005 - 28,00 - #107 !!

2006 - 33,50 - #122 (Coup was in fall of 2006...)

2007 - 53,50 - #135

2008 - 34,50 - #124

2009 - 44,00 - #130

And you wrote that 'there had been improvements for 5 years in a row' [before Thaksin was ousted] and mentioned 'press freedom'. If this was in error, then please say so.

Oops! :)

Edited by fullcave

Is it a coincidence that whenever people state the views of Thai people they have met, those Thai people invariably seem to have the same opinion as they do?

Unless you can name names, seems to me to be a cheap and easy method of substaniating your own thoughts.

No, I won't name my g/f's parents or relatives, just reporting what they said.

Allegedly reporting what they said.

I am going through the thread and have started deleted posts. Some suggestions are: 1) Stay on topic. 2). Don't flame other posters, either individually or as a group (as in new members).

3). If you want to make predictions about posters and how they will involve, there are several astrological sites that might welcome your expertise. I don't.

The people of Isaan may love him, but unfortunately for Thaksin, the people of Isaan don't matter. Guns and money are against him, he's got nothing but popularity which rarely counts for much in military-dominated politics in SE Asia.

Are you saying he does not have rather powerful friends in Thailand? Don't think you are right. He also has some powerful friends in Asean countries and Brunei

The initial premise is incorrect.The people of Isaan do matter now to the point that in a fair election they will largely determine the outcome.

I'm sure many in Issan will be thrilled that the only populist supporter they ever had in Thai government will now be just over the border from them. Maybe the GTC ("Great Thaksin Comeback) will be via Anlong Veng & Sisaket? :)

BINGO!!!!!!

Everybody with a little bit of grey matter in their brains knows that all the wealthy and/or powerful preparing themselves for a take-over of Thailand shortly (the reason of this is forbidden for writing in this forum).

Maleysia wants to posses the Southern, mainly Moslim provinces.

An ongoing slaughter of Thais in that region should ring bell's to anyody who is not deaf or blind

Burma wants to invade Thailand and take the Northern provinces as Burmese territory.

Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia wants to take Issaan back where it belongs.

Most of the Issaan people have their roots in the Khmer or te Loas culture and feels only Thai because of their borth place.

Most of the people in my wife's village will respond to the question if they feel geing a Thai or Lao with "LAO".

The center of Thailand (Bangkok) which is populated with only a few spoiled "mama-boy's" in a Mercedes or a few sex-tourists is of no interest to anybody. It will sink in the sea and the few spoiled rats with it.

What is easier for Thaksin who still can count on millions of followers to continue his plans "Next door" where the "Red Shirts" leaders can go to meetings with Thaksin easy as peanuts.

Khmer Thais (Issaan) wil love the idea of belongeing to a great counmry with oil fields and great monuments as Angkor Wat.

Is it a coincidence that whenever people state the views of Thai people they have met, those Thai people invariably seem to have the same opinion as they do?

Unless you can name names, seems to me to be a cheap and easy method of substaniating your own thoughts.

No, I won't name my g/f's parents or relatives, just reporting what they said.

Allegedly reporting what they said.

my housekeeper of eight years (named Ai) who hails from near Lampang and has family there, has always been a staunch Thaksin supporter.

even in my own house, one dare not speak bad about him in her presence unless you wanted the silent treatment for days

however that support has noticibly wained over the last 12 months of Thaksin sponsored 'red' activity, that she feels has damaged Thailand.

some of you might call her and her family, the poor, uneducated working class

i find her intelligent, bright and she is very interested in national events

i often see her watching the news rather than the soaps and she gets a newspaper everyday

she speaks some english and along with my rather basic non tonal Thai, we can converse to a degree

yesterday she was spitting feathers about this.

basically, she could not believe that Thaksin could work for Cambodia

theres no real need to elaborate further but i think its safe to say any support she had left for him has gone forever

for me, anyone who has read my previous posts about Thaksin, knows exactly how i feel about him......

Any they are welcome to elect him as soon has he comes back to Thailand and serves his prison sentence.

Oh wait, no they cant.

Section 102. A person under any of the following prohibitions shall have no right to be a candidate in an election of members of the House of Representatives:

(1) being addicted to narcotics;

(2) being bankrupt or having been dishonestly bankrupt;

(3) being disfranchised under section 100 (1), (2) or (4);

(4) having been sentenced by a judgement to imprisonment and being detained by a warrant of the Court;

Oops.

That would restrict Sondhi and hos recently created Democratic Party from being a candidate as well.

I just don't understand why Cambodia it so interested and infatuated with Thaksin. A PM willing so sacrifice his whole country for a friend and personal interests? Oh wait, I understand now.

Maybe it will be like the Honduran president. An ousted PM makes his return through the borders of Poipet.

I am going through the thread and have started deleted posts. Some suggestions are: 1) Stay on topic. 2). Don't flame other posters, either individually or as a group (as in new members).

3). If you want to make predictions about posters and how they will involve, there are several astrological sites that might welcome your expertise. I don't.

mmmmm would that be www.astrologicalarsehole.com . :)

A crook? What did he do other than sell his telecomm company? I am serious. What has been proven about him that he deserves to be hated and imprisoned? :)

Post #168

- Thaksin's efforts to purge Thailand of farangs from Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, the U.S. & Europe.

- Thaksin hate anyone who was White.

- Thaksin that put in this stupid law - surely the most stupid law in place of any country in the world - that alcohol cannot be purchased between the evening hours of 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.?

- censoring on TV a person putting a cigarette to their mouthes.

Does this answer your question?

ROTFLMAO

A review of the recent news updates reveals that a few hours ago, Hun Sen's government had recalled their Ambassador to Thailand.

This interlude is somewhat similar to Thaksin's other dictatorial friend that he was cosying up with earlier this year, the self-appointed Prime Minister of Fiji, Frank Bainimarama, who has just recently deported both Australia's and New Zealand's Ambassadors to his country. It's the Frank and "Frank" Show.

Speaking of Manchester City's "Frank", it was amusing to read the UK's Guardian paper online's article on the issue and its opening paragraph (the coloring is the websites):

During his tenure as Thai prime minister, he was accused of corruption and later convicted of allowing his wife to buy state land at a discount price. In his sole season in charge of Manchester City the club recorded a loss of nearly £30m. But now Thaksin Shinawatra has a new job – as an economic adviser to the Cambodian government.

Start spreadin the news...I'm leaving today...to make a brand new start of it... in old Koh Kong

The Chairman-Frank Shinawatra, Frank Bananarama & ol'glass eye himself Sammy Hun-Sen Davis Jr" Mr Big "Jiewy Bishop" Chavalit (I didn't know he was Jewish, Ed :D )

....The Rat Pack! :D:D

Appearing at Sands, Poipet

Get your tickets early :D:)

I swear you can't make this stuff up :D

Mmmmm.

Well from my Thai families point of view , non of that is really important.

He did however, help the family out of debt from loans ,, freely given out by the previous Goverment,, here in the North East.

Why do you think Thaksin did that? and many more things he did for the poor.

The poor and not always the uneducated of thailand are of the majority, Get the majority of the country on your side= landslide victory. Wonder which clever bastard thought of that before me. Name eludes me begins with T i think. oh yes silly me i named the crook before above.

Thaksin gave the poor a carrot then took a bloody great watermelon in return, Not such a good deal for the poor of thailand was it?.

Wow! Spoken like a true PAD (people who accept dictatorship) supporter. :)

It's surprising you should say that when his country of choice while in excile was one of the whitest... the UK.

Thaksin had so many monetary interests in the uk thats why. Money for thaksin overrides all over concerns.

He also thought the uk would protect him that was his primary concern. How wrong he was.

Edited by cyb

It's surprising you should say that when his country of choice while in excile was one of the whitest... the UK.

Wrong person quoted.

Read the whole post before quoting anybody.

I was wondering when someone would bring up Thaksin's efforts to purge Thailand of farangs from Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, the U.S. & Europe. Thaksin hate anyone who was White. If he were still in power it would be very difficult for any of us to live in Thailand. I'm sure he would invite all the Chinese that had any money to settle here. Was it Thaksin that put in this stupid law - surely the most stupid law in place of any country in the world - that alcohol cannot be purchased between the evening hours of 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.? That and censoring on TV a person putting a cigarette to their mouthes. I was in Pattaya when he was overthrown in 2006. That was one of the happiest days of my life. A man that hates me simply because of my skin color, I have no use for. To those farangs who praise that crook, look back and remember just how much he hated you and wanted you out of Thailand.

and Germany (Allegedly) :)

A crook? What did he do other than sell his telecomm company? I am serious. What has been proven about him that he deserves to be hated and imprisoned? :D

Post #168

- Thaksin's efforts to purge Thailand of farangs from Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, the U.S. & Europe.

- Thaksin that put in this stupid law - surely the most stupid law in place of any country in the world - that alcohol cannot be purchased between the evening hours of 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.?

- censoring on TV a person putting a cigarette to their mouthes.

Does this answer your question?

ROTFLMAO

I dont smoke or drink so I have no problems with any of these. <snip> I see nothing wrong with that. :)

Wrong person quoted.

Coalminer i think you were guilty in not quoting correctly thats why tropo made the mistake as regards post 168.

A newbie i could forgive but a member from 2004? mmmmm

Edited by cyb

Wrong person quoted.

Coalminer i think you were guilty in not quoting correctly thats why tropo made the mistake as regards post 168.

Guilty as carged.

Mea Culpa

But it is difficult to quote a post from 4 pages back in an rcent post.

Wrong person quoted.

Guilty as carged.

Mea Culpa

But it is difficult to quote a post from 4 pages back in an rcent post.

Guilty as charged sentenced to two hours of thaksin propaganda :)

It's amazing to see how many people here actually believes the current government are any less corrupt compared with previous ones. For anyone living here pre-Thaksin, you would know how many things actually improved during his time. Not without faults, but the situation for most Thais improved considerably. To even think that corruption in high places ended with Thaskin's departure is nothing more than pure stupidity.

But then again, we do rely on the Infinite monkey theorem here. :)

Yes, posters her are emotive about Taksin, this unfortunately short circuits any chance of rational or analytical thought for even those that were capable of it. The rah rah nonsense you read here quite frankly is boring and repetitive for the most part. Can only assume most here are recent arrivals.

Completely agree!

Time for a proper constitution and proper elections if you ask me.. May the best man win..!

Thai Foreign Minister urges Cambodia to review decision on Thaksin appointment

BANGKOK, Nov 6 (TNA) - Thailand's Minister of Foreign Affairs Kasit Piromya urged the Cambodian government late Thursday to review its decision to appoint convicted former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as personal advisor to Cambodian Premier Hun Sen and advisor on economy to his government.

Mr Kasit said Phnom Penh must choose between personal interest and relations and the national interests and relations of the two countries.

He also confirmed the news report that Cambodia had recalled its ambassador to Thailand.

The Agence France-Presse (AFP) news agency quoted Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Sok An as saying that "To reciprocate the recall of Thailand's ambassador-designate, the Royal Government of Cambodia decided to recall its ambassador for the time being but regards this only as a temporary measure."

He also told a news conference in Phnom Penh that the Cambodian envoy would be sent back to Bangkok only after Thailand has returned its ambassador-designate to Cambodia.

Thailand recalled its envoy from Phnom Penh in protest against the Mr Thaksin's appointment. It is also reviewing all existing bilateral agreements and cooperation projects with Cambodia, including the ongoing cooperation which the Royal Thai Government has extended to Cambodia.

Meanwhile, Thai envoy to Cambodia Prasas Prasasvinitchai arrived in Bangkok at 9.55pm Thursday without giving any comment to the media. He reportedly requested the airport authority to provide a vehicle to pick him up at the aircraft.

In related developments, Thailand has stepped up security measures at the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok. More personnel are assigned to provide security at the embassy, including 230 police from various stations under the Metropolitan Police Bureau and anti-riot units for rotated posting to the embassy. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/11/06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]