Sony Vaio Keyboard Repair

rainman

I need three keys of my Sony Vaio laptop (purchased in the US) repaired. I tried calling the Service Center in Bangkok, but they told me they either have to order a replacement keyboard from the US (which may take 2-3 weeks) or they will have to try and fix it at the Service Center. In either case, i would have to leave the laptop there for at least a week, which is unacceptable to me. Does anyone know a good shop where i can have someone look at the keyboard? I'm not sure if even has to be replaced completely as all the other keys do work fine.

I don't think you are going to have much luck in getting it repaired. I had a similar problem on my Toshiba laptop a couple of years ago, where I lost Q,A & Z on the left hand side. The only problem was that the Toshiba office didn't have a British Keyboard so had to replace it with an American style one. Cost about 5000 Baht.

The problem here might be that Sony only have the dual English/Thai keyboards, I can't believe that they have no replacement keyboards in stock considering the number of laptops they sell. In which case you can swap your old US "Keys" for the dual language keys. Swapping a keyboard shouldn't take any more than an hour. If the computer is still under warantee then you will have to decide which is more important, access to your computer or the warantee.

It was a week before I returned to Bangkok and could get it fixed and it was a pain typing as I had to keep using the Alt function to type the letter "a".

I would tell them to order the new keyboard from the US, and you will bring the notebook in when it arrives!!

You will probably have to speak to someone more senior to get them to

agree, but in my experience with Sony, on vcr's etc, they are pretty helpful!

In the meantime pop out and buy a USB keyboard at your local computer shop

and use that to get the full keyboard facility.

if its just the keys you want (they have come off and been lost) then take a walk around the back alleys at panthip plaza , there are stalls there that sell individual keys , maybe you can find sony ones.

try the repair shops there , there must be somebody there who can sort you out.

• 15 years later...
On 4/6/2005 at 10:06 AM, astral said:

I would tell them to order the new keyboard from the US, and you will bring the notebook in when it arrives!!

You will probably have to speak to someone more senior to get them to

agree, but in my experience with Sony, on vcr's etc, they are pretty helpful!

In the meantime pop out and buy a USB keyboard at your local computer shop

and use that to get the full keyboard facility.

through adversary to the stars...