Work Permits...

After having worked here for a few years I was quite dismayed that once a work permit is cancelled you only get 7 days to either find a new job or get out of the country. I went back today and paid 1900 baht for another 21 days (7 days a;ready expired). Looks like I'll have to do a visa run to Poipet in 3 weeks.

My school contract had finished on the 31st March. With w.p. receipt in hand I went to Thai Immigration in hopes of extending the visa for at least a month in order to look for work. Most schools do not even begin to think about the coming school year (in re. to Western instructors) until after Songkran. I heard rumors that Immigration will, with a letter from one's embassy, extend the visa for 30 days--perhaps even 60 days! Those rumors were wrong!!

After working here legally for years all I got was a 7 day stamp. I know it's the "law" and I shouldn't expect any special treatment or applause, but after 4 years at the same job I did expect something better, or at least some understanding...

Thanks Thai Immigration!

Makes the 30 day visa run seem somewhat attractive!