Tai Visa Search..

Maigo6

The search facility is really naff, if I type in Widows XP 7, I get a message telling me I cannot type less than a 3 letter word, so in fact, it's impossible for me to use the search engine for that particular search.

Why is it so naff ?

I typed in about another subject only to get the same message, I went to google typed in the same search inquiry added ThaiVisa at the end and found the thread... :)

I think the Search engine here should be looked at....or is it kept bad for a reason, like having to go to google and mentioning ThaiVisa ?

I have no idea, but I have seen many comments over the years about how poor the search facility is on the forum.

I'll throw my hat into the ring and state I think the "Search" feature is possibly even LESS than useless.

Many a long time I've tried it and wondered what I was doing wrong.

I would like to see the +, the &, the * symbols incorporated, to narrow or broaden a search.

As it currently stands, if I search for a "Thai Restaurant in London" for example, the search will show every post that has the word "Thai" (quite a few, I'd warrant) and every post with the word "Restaurant" and...........

Won't stop me enjoying the site, but does frustrate nonetheless.

The search facility is really naff, if I type in Widows XP 7, I get a message telling me I cannot type less than a 3 letter word, so in fact, it's impossible for me to use the search engine for that particular search.

You could search on that phrase by enclosing it in quotes, so paste in "Windows XP 7" and you don't get the error message.

I would like to see the +, the &, the * symbols incorporated, to narrow or broaden a search.

Under Advanced Usage Help:

apple banana Find posts that contain at least one of these words

+apple +juice Find posts with both words

+apple -juice Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'

apple* Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'

"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

Also, top right of the page is Google Custom Search that can be used instead of going direct to the Google site. Limits Google search to within Thaivisa only.

Under Advanced Usage Help:

apple banana Find posts that contain at least one of these words

+apple +juice Find posts with both words

+apple -juice Find posts with 'apple' but not 'juice'

apple* Find posts with 'apple' and/or 'applesauce'

"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

Also, top right of the page is Google Custom Search that can be used instead of going direct to the Google site. Limits Google search to within Thaivisa only.

Thanks for that.

Have to say that, having tried it, my searches were still throwing up way too many irrelevant posts but, when I also selected "Search Titles Only", I did achieve the narrower search results I wanted.

Not perfect, but better than it was before, so thanks again :)