Ttt Maxnet Manipulating Bittorrent Traffic

JR Texas

Is TTT Maxnet manipulating BitTorrent traffic?

My torrent upload/download speed (especially upload) is next to nothing.

I have done everything possible to open ports and get the right configuration, but nothing works.

I think it is TTT Maxnet............

I tried the Glasnost Test by Max Planck Institute.........but it never completes on my system (know idea why).

Has any person done the test and got the results for TTT Maxnet?

If they are "throttling" down and manipulating traffic to limit torrent activity, is there a way around it?

EDIT: I just noticed you have another thread running on howto get your bittorrent port forwarding running.

Better you stick to one thread, that will make it easier for people to get the required background information and understand your problem (and give you useful advise).

From what I read on the other thread it seems you are struggling with your port forwarding setup. I would not jump to conclusions until you are sure that your setup is correct. To me it seems the issue at the moment is not TT&T but the complexity of configuring uTorrent behind a router (which is for sure not a trivial thing, but it can be done even by not-so-experienced users, just hang on!)

welo

Edited by welo

EDIT: I just noticed you have another thread running on howto get your bittorrent port forwarding running.

Better you stick to one thread, that will make it easier for people to get the required background information and understand your problem (and give you useful advise).

From what I read on the other thread it seems you are struggling with your port forwarding setup. I would not jump to conclusions until you are sure that your setup is correct. To me it seems the issue at the moment is not TT&T but the complexity of configuring uTorrent behind a router (which is for sure not a trivial thing, but it can be done even by not-so-experienced users, just hang on!)

welo

I understand..........but I think I have configured it now...........I went here:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html

and checked if the port I mapped was open........it said "yes."

And Bittorent (the program I use) is showing a green check......meaning network connection is working as it should. Odd though.......Bittorent comes with a port checker and sometimes it says the port in question is open and at other times it says it is closed.

The open port tool above (from dyndns) always says "open."

I also configured a static IP address using Simple Static IP (PC Wintech.com). It worked.

And I was able to enter my router and put in the new IP to be associated with the port to be opened. It seems to work.

BUT, when I tried to change my router configuration from dynamic IP to static IP, TTT would not allow that

So, I seem to now have a dynamic IP in my router (Huwawei Smartax MT880) and a static IP in my computer.

I also found a program called OpenDNS and used it to change my DNS (some person said that might help).

I also enabled UPnP..........in both windows, Bittorent, and my router.........seems to be working.

I did a speed test and decided to set my download/upload rate at less that what it was set at previously.

All of this seems to have worked a small bit.........uploading is still 5kb/s or less but seems more stable.........downloading is another story......no problem downloading at a fast speed (especially when there are lots of peers).

Now.........I think something is wrong.........the uploading speed is too slow, lots of peers or few peers.

My guess is that TTT Maxnet is slowing down everything related to uploading torrents.

Any possible way to beat them at this game, provided they are playing it?

on a very very good day with ttt 3mb my max upload is 50kbps. my average upload is usually 10kbps or less. i hope this helps glad you got the green tick.

have fun

Thanks.........your average is higher than what I am seeing and still bad. Which brings me to the essential question: Is TTT Maxnet messing with torrent uploads........slowing everything down to a crawl in the hope that people will stop uploading?

The fact that your upload is so low makes me think it is not my system or configuration..........it is something else and that something else is TRIPLE T MAXNET.

You seems confused about settings.

You cannot set the router for a static IP address, because you did not pay your ISP to give you a static IP address.

The IP address the router acquires from your ISP's network is a WAN IP address - Wide Area Network.

Port forward refers to LAN - Local Area Network which the router creates. It is because of this LAN that you can connect more than one computer or device using only a single WAN IP address that your ISP issues.

Setting a static address in your comp is setting a static LAN IP address, usually in the format of 192.168.x.xx

I think you have set your global upload speed limit in your torrent program too low.

You should set it to 50-60% of what your ISP is giving you.

If you are given 512 kbps upload speed, this will be 64 KB/s (note the difference between kilobytes and kilobits).

Then set the upload speed limit in your torrent program to 36 KB/s.

Edited by trogers

I have done everything possible to open ports and get the right configuration, but nothing works.

I tried the Glasnost Test by Max Planck Institute.........but it never completes on my system (know idea why).

If they are "throttling" down and manipulating traffic to limit torrent activity, is there a way around it?

TEST your configuration by downloading a well-seeded torrent. << You should be able to download at full speed.

Try it and report back your results.

The main point to consider with Maxnet is whether the OP is using Indy or Premier.

With Indy bittorrents are throttled, and the ISP readilly admits this as the service is designed for Thai use only. With Indy I struggled to get anything downloaded in a reasonable time, since switching to Premier I have not experienced any restrictions on traffic.

If the OP is using Indy then it really doesn't matter whether the ports are forwarded or not, unless there is another Thai user in the swarm he/she will get lousy speeds. If the OP is using Premier and it's only bittorrents that are affected, then it's probably down to the way he/she has things configured.

Edited by delboy

TEST your configuration by downloading a well-seeded torrent. << You should be able to download at full speed.

Try it and report back your results.

Thanks..........I did what you said.........within a minute I was downloading at over 150 kb/s (faster than ever before). But, uploading is very low: 0.5 kb/s (I suppose that is to be expected as I have only downloaded 3% of it).

Looks like no problem downloading...........the problem seems to be uploading.

By the way, I should tell you I am having problems uploading TYT (Ten Yard Torrents): http://forums.tenyardtorrents.com/

Downloading a game is fast..........uploading is slow, slow, slow.

One thing seems odd about TYT's set up: DHT, Local Peer Discover, Peer Exchange are not allowed. It is their "rule."

Oh........just hit 200 kb/s..........that never happened before.

Remember the absolute maximum upload is about 50kB/s (512kbps converted to Kilobyte minus protocol overhead).

I have a 2048/512kbps TOT line and with enough torrents and connections I can max out the download to 150kB/s. Upload is between 10-30kB/s.

I guess a lot depends on the connection setting in uTorrent. Standard settings have limits on the number of connections, I guess this might affect the upload speed in your case too.

Checkout this guide

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/op...rrent-speed.htm.

Use the calculator linked there to adjust your settings.

welo

Thanks..........I did what you said.........within a minute I was downloading at over 150 kb/s (faster than ever before). But, uploading is very low: 0.5 kb/s (I suppose that is to be expected as I have only downloaded 3% of it).

It's perfectly 'normal' to experience slow upload speeds with *NIX torrents since they are well-seeded. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Torrents such as games, movies, music -- you are likely to see higher upload rates (most of the time).

It's perfectly 'normal' to experience slow upload speeds with *NIX torrents since they are well-seeded. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Torrents such as games, movies, music -- you are likely to see higher upload rates (most of the time).

Thanks Supernova and Welo and others...............that was intresting. At one point the download hit 300 kb/s (never seen that). I waiting for it to finish and the upload was about 0.1 to 2 kb/s........often disconnecting and reconnecting.

I wonder if something is going on.........10 kb/s I might live with..........but I am seeing much less and often their is a disconnect and reconnect. It is like it might hit 5 kb/s then rapidly goes to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then disconnect and bounces up again.........in some cases just disconnects.

I wonder if their is some adjustment that needs to be done in my firewall. I use PC Tools Firewall Plus. There are many settings for ports and TCP packets, etc. I wonder if I am blocking something I should not be blocking.

Trogers said something about being confused.............YES, I AM CONFUSED. I am not a computer expert by any means. All I can tell you is that when I log on to my router (using Internet Explorer).........I see a spot where I can check fixed or dynamic IP.

It is set for dynamic IP (for the reason you apparently suggested.........I only paid for dynamic IP and not static).

I tried to enter a static IP in the router configuration, but it did not work.

I did manage to enter a static IP in my Local Area Connection. So, I have one static IP in my local area connection and one dynamic IP inside my router.

If I don't have the static IP in my local area connection, the port I want open in Bittorent closes. That is why I set it for "static."

PC Tools Firewall Plus has settings for Port Override and Advanced Rules for several things like Internal Forwarding Rule. Maybe there is something wrong with my settings.

If someone is familiar with the program and can talk me through the settings, I would appreciate it.

I did the speed test and adjusted uploading/downloading speeds accordingly.........made little difference.

The main point to consider with Maxnet is whether the OP is using Indy or Premier.

With Indy bittorrents are throttled, and the ISP readilly admits this as the service is designed for Thai use only. With Indy I struggled to get anything downloaded in a reasonable time, since switching to Premier I have not experienced any restrictions on traffic.

If the OP is using Indy then it really doesn't matter whether the ports are forwarded or not, unless there is another Thai user in the swarm he/she will get lousy speeds. If the OP is using Premier and it's only bittorrents that are affected, then it's probably down to the way he/she has things configured.

I am using MAXNET INDY PLUS TO 3M. Downloading is not my problem..........I just got 300 kb/s (very fast for me). It it uploading that is the problem. In most cases I am not seeing greater than 5 kb/s (normally less) and often it reaches 5 kb/s then rapidly goes to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 and disconnects and the cycle starts again.

Could it be that they are throttling back on uploading too? Or is it perhaps my firewall settings? Probably something to do with outgoing data.

on a very very good day with ttt 3mb my max upload is 50kbps. my average upload is usually 10kbps or less. i hope this helps glad you got the green tick. have fun

I usually get 250 kbps on torrents with a lot of seeders; TT&T Maxnet plus to 3MB. My upload could reach more than 100 kbps.

Check your settings, or try to download a very popular torrent to figure the real capacity of your connection in P2P.

[it it uploading that is the problem. In most cases I am not seeing greater than 5 kb/s (normally less) and often it reaches 5 kb/s then rapidly goes to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 and disconnects and the cycle starts again. Could it be that they are throttling back on uploading too? Or is it perhaps my firewall settings? Probably something to do with outgoing data.

It could be due to very few leechers interested in this file. Check the torrent site where you downloaded the torrent for the number of seeders and leechers.

Edited by Dontdisturb

If you want to make sure that the Firewall is not interfering, just find the option to disable it temporarily. I am not familiar with your software, but I am sure you can disable or exit the program.

If you still experience slow uploads I would rate it a 95% chance that the Firewall does not cause the troubles - eliminate the remaining 5% by completely uninstalling the software (since the system driver that filters the network packets will not be uninstalled upon disabling the software I think).

Maybe I missed it in the discussion, but did you ever run speedtest.net and check your upload speed. This should give you a basic idea about the capabillities of your upload connection to a Bangkok server.

What about just enjoying the good download speeds and observe your torrents over a couple of days. Use torrents from different trackers. If you use a private tracker than maybe there are no users that want to download from you, hence the bad upload speed.

Anybody has a tracker running so JR can test his upload speed with a test torrent? :)

welo

[it it uploading that is the problem. In most cases I am not seeing greater than 5 kb/s (normally less) and often it reaches 5 kb/s then rapidly goes to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 and disconnects and the cycle starts again. Could it be that they are throttling back on uploading too? Or is it perhaps my firewall settings? Probably something to do with outgoing data.

It could be due to very few leechers interested in this file. Check the torrent site where you downloaded the torrent for the number of seeders and leechers.

For the last two posters...........I just did a speed test (reached 300 kb/s download). Very fast for me.

I waited for it to finish then watched the upload..........I did not say it prior to this, but it did hit 20 kb/s for a few seconds, but mostly it was slow.

I asked this earlier and am still curious:

One thing seems odd about TYT's set up: DHT, Local Peer Discover, Peer Exchange are not allowed. It is their "rule." Is this making uploading a problem?

I am asking because I am uploading the Dallas series that has nothing to do with Ten Yard Torrents (TYT) and it is averaging about 28 kb/s (accepts DHT, Local Peer Discover, Peer Exchange)

And the file I downloaded during the speed test started, at one point, uploading around 20 kb/s. It accepts DHT, Local Peer Discover, Peer Exchange.

I suppose the TYT file could be uploading at a very slow rate because of the lack of peers, but even when they show up it looks like there is a connection problem........just watching it..........maybe 5 kb/s then rapidly to 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 then nothing........pause......connect again........5, 4, 3, 2, 1........it is like something is disconnecting or breaking our connection.

This is not happening with the Dallas file I am uploading. But there are loads of peers on that one.

One thing seems odd about TYT's set up: DHT, Local Peer Discover, Peer Exchange are not allowed. It is their "rule." Is this making uploading a problem?

This is because TYT is a private tracker. The flag in the torrent is set to private, and utorrent respects that flag which prevents you from advertising yourself as a peer to people who are not members of TYT. Only people who are registered with TYT can access the tracker and connect to peers. You register your IP with them when you log into their website to find/download torrent. This is how all private trackers work. If any torrent client is known to not respect that flag, the private trackers would prohibit use of that client on their network.

Didn't you state that a bandwidth test reported your line capable of 20KB/s max upstream? If that is the case than your speeds look fine. It's just your lack of understanding on how torrents work that is confusing you.

You will never have a good ratio or upload speed with TYT unless you start downloading the torrent very shortly after it is first posted.

i think you are worrying too much about your upload. i use a private tracker and have no problem with my ratio and enjoy maxing out my connection when downloading. sometimes i can max out my upload on a very new torrent as discussed in previous post. my uploads speeds are very similiar to yours. enjoy the fast download as it sounds like you have everything running as it should.

good luck.

You will never have a good ratio or upload speed with TYT unless you start downloading the torrent very shortly after it is first posted.

I think you just hit the nail on its head. I have to seed a popular game immediately after is is available.............later, nobody is interested (old news).

The other obvious problem is Thailand's horrible internet system.

ONE MORE QUESTION: I just did another speed test (trying to get my settings right). It showed 1108 Kb/s download and 256 Kb/s upload.

I then went to this page where they have a "settings calculator." http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/op...lient-speed.htm

It gave me upload settings, # global connections, etc. I entered it in my Bittorrent program and the uploads seemed to slow down.

I think part of this is due to TTT Maxnet throttling back.........so the speed test is not entirely accurate.

Now, given my speed test, and given TTT Maxnet's interference, does anybody know what settings I should input in my Bittorrent Program to maximize upload speed?

I need:

1) Maximum upload rate

2) Global maximum number of connections

3) Maximum number of connected peers per torrent

4) Number of upload slots

I did check uploading takes priority over downloading.......think that might have helped slightly

These answers assume you are going for max upload speeds - this may slow your downloads a bit.

1) Maximum upload rate

0 (unlimited)

5 - 10 (per torrent - start with 5, raise if it you are not maxing out)

I did check uploading takes priority over downloading.......think that might have helped slightly

I change the settings all the time based on the torrents I have running and if I'm trying to maximize downloading single vs. multiple or uploading.

These answers assume you are going for max upload speeds - this may slow your downloads a bit.

1) Maximum upload rate

0 (unlimited)

5 - 10 (per torrent - start with 5, raise if it you are not maxing out)

I change the settings all the time based on the torrents I have running and if I'm trying to maximize downloading single vs. multiple or uploading.

I am afraid that changed the upload rate to about 0.1 kb/s.......very, very slow (about 10 peers total). I am using TTT Maxnet Indy........I was told they throttle back and mess up torrent downloading/uploading.

I also read that sometimes it is best to lower the upload speed to get the maximum result...............just not sure now.

In addition to the upload speed issue discussed in the previous post, I have never been able to successfully run this test (no problem with my Java plug-in):

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

An error occured while measuring your host (adsl-pool-222.123.251-135.dynamic.tttmaxnet.com - 222.123.251.135):

Our tool was unable to measure your link

* The Java applet timed out. Please check whether you have installed the Java plugin correctly.

* If the plugin is not the problem, there was most likely a problem while connecting to our measurement server. Trying again might fix this problem.

If you can run it and have TTT Maxnet Indy, I would like for you to post the results here. I want to know how much TTT Maxnet Indy is messing with torrent traffic.

I did it.........finally! Here are the results of the test (looks like I was wrong about TTT Maxnet Indy):

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 16 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 120 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 5 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 13 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 11 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 41 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

Warning: Division by zero in /local/var/www/bb/bittorrent-blocking.php on line 948

* Your ISP possibly rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 7 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 0 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 104 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 11 Kbps. You can find details here.

One thing I have been wondering about for a while - I use utorrent on Maxnet Indy 5mb, and there is a continuous random shifting from green tick, to yellow triangle, to red circle - perhaps every 30 minutes or so. None of the changes seems to have much effect on down/up speeds, which follow the usual good in the morning, bad in the evening pattern. Any idea what this might be?

@JR

The result protocol you posted sounds a lot like your international connection is very unstable (surprise!)

There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 16 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 120 Kbps. You can find details here.

Looks like quite a difference between min and max (I assume no matter whether TCP or bittorrent). Since the server for this test is probably located outside of Thailand, this is what is to be expected with Maxnet Indy (and many other broadband offers in Thailand).

I remember you saying that you get 28kB/s upload with other torrents, but not with the private tracker. So it might be that your ISP interfers with bittorrent, but it might as well be just the crap international connection you get with Maxnet Indy.

Did you run speedtest.net against a server outside of Thailand? This will give you a good idea about the quality of the Indy package :)

You could also try to find a tracker in Thailand and test your upload on a popular torrent there.

welo

@JR:

I suggest you take a look this excellent speed guide.

Try changing the listening port to something in the 49152-65535 range. You'll need to setup port forwarding again if you do this.

In Bittorrent Preferences, make sure Protocal Encryption (outgoing) is set to Enabled or Forced.

Also select 'Allow legacy incoming connections'.

Edited by Supernova

@JR:

I suggest you take a look this excellent speed guide.

Try changing the listening port to something in the 49152-65535 range. You'll need to setup port forwarding again if you do this.

In Bittorrent Preferences, make sure Protocal Encryption (outgoing) is set to Enabled or Forced.

Also select 'Allow legacy incoming connections'.

To Supernova and Welo: I opened port 55000. I also switched firewalls (using ZoneAlarm free version) and added an exception for that port. When I check to see if it is open, sometimes it is and at others times it is not (weird).

I also turned off UPnP in my Windows XP........have not yet been able to do it in my router. I think this is a good idea only because I read it was a good idea (but not sure why or what it has to do with torrents).

I enabled legacy incoming connections.........

In my Bittorent Program (version 6.2) I never saw anything about Protocol Encryption........no idea where that is.

I can set uploads to "forced."

The speed test was from Thailand to LA.

Based on it, how should I alter my settings?

I will take a look at the excellent speed guide.

My Bitttorent program has a speed guide.........xx/92k etc. You must select one from the list and it apparently does the rest automatically. But I don't know which one to select.

Right now I selected xx/512k..........good? bad? Looks bad right now..............

In fact, right now..........I can't even get inside my router. It did just rain........maybe the connections are all down.