From Vista To Windows 7 ?

Max2000

Just in the door with Windows 7 home premium. Box come with 2 dvd, 32 and 64 bit.

Have now vista 32 bit preinstalled from factory when new.

Want install windows 7 - 64 bit (have 4gb mem).

Have saved all that need to save, on a usb flash drive.

Then what I do?

Do I need to partition HD?

If need to reformat, how/ what program do I use?

Any previous thread who show "step-by-step" ?

Help appreciated.

I have just built a new M/c Pi7 and had a OEM OS loaded Windows 7 64Bit. It had to be 64Bit cos 32Bits can only read 3Gig of RAM - I have fitted 8Mb DDR3 RAM. The change to Windows is fraught with Problems. I have achieved Internet connection but only through Wireless USB dongle. I keep getting Error 651 when I try to connect by Ethernet wire, readind the stuff on the internet this is a common problem. 3 out of my 4 Canon printer/scanner don't have drivers yet. Nikon cannot be certain their cameras are compatible yet and the software is not compatible yet ie Nikon Transfer, Niew and NX2. All of which I use very often. Luckily, I have my laptop Vista OS running fine, printers fine. Its just frustrating I cant just migrate everything across.

Incidentally I did know prior to building the new m/c there was going to be a problem with printer drivers by running the Windows compatibility tool. Incidentally I have been in contact with Canon Thailand, they have tried to be helpful and prompt in their reply but its up to Canon in Japan to get sorted. I rememeber when I upgraded from XP to Vista(a long time ago) it was Canon that was late with drivers for printers then.

The only thing that has migrated fine are the games!!!

Like in good IT spk you need a transfer strategy plan. Good luck.

1 hour and still unable to install.

Dvd did not start from startup, so go to "bios Setup" and change 1 priority to CD/DVD.

save + exit. = 100% black screen. Reboot still same.

Eject DVD, insert DVD = black screen + small "microsoft corporation" for 2 minutes, then only a tiny (-) up in left corner 10 minute +. Can hear DVD working but only black screen.

Reboot, still same, start from top again 2 times but no improvement.

What I do wrong?

Edit: followed guide no 2 from "Supernova" "A step-by-step guide", see post 2.

Edited by Max2000

Now solved.

I did clean install (not upgrade) from the beginning but after those msg 50' times, it finally started to install, and now working. However I see install used 45GB on C.

Might have installed twice, I think.

Any easy solution to uninstall one of those?

It shouldn't be anywhere close to that size, have a check to see if it has created a windows.old folder (it uses these to back up your previous installation so you can revert if necessary).

If so

To delete the Windows.old folder from an earlier installation of Windows, follow these steps:

Click Start, type disk cleanup in the Start Search text box, and then click Disk Cleanup.

In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, click Files from all users on this computer.

In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Click to select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and then click OK.

(from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527/en-us)

Thank you lopburi3 and danw.

Found 2 old windows on C: and deleted old files, still too big size on C.

Will start from scratch, format hd......

C: is 97GB

D: is 135GB

any easy way to adjust this so they similar size, or C largest ????

Edit: I click on C, and "format" is not highlighted, not possible. When I click format, nothing.

D: can format, as "format" is highlighted.

?

Edited by Max2000

Back up all your data ..put the win 7 disk in and start fromscratch when it asks you to pick a partition tpo install then go advanceds and format the drive and do a nice fresh install.. as 1 poster has already commented you cannot upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, it look like you already have 2 installs already so this will make it another 1..

I have 64bit win7 installed and must admit it is noce to have the full 4gb allocation

Back up all your data ..put the win 7 disk in and start fromscratch when it asks you to pick a partition tpo install then go advanceds and format the drive and do a nice fresh install.. as 1 poster has already commented you cannot upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, it look like you already have 2 installs already so this will make it another 1..

I have 64bit win7 installed and must admit it is noce to have the full 4gb allocation

Can you help me please what is noce?

Made a new clean install 9 november and finally that used only 15GB on C:

Then microsoft reported "missing drivers" and i tried update drivers, then manufacturers and Nvidia downloads. Had problem with Aero not working and playing games, lagging 3-5seconds etc. Went to service today and are now up and running ok. They reported manufacturer still dont have all drivers (only 6 drivers listed on manufakturers support and download), so they used Vista64 drivers.

Love the short startup time +- 20 seconds only, can't belive it. Also seeing 3,8Gb ram.

Problem solved. Thanks to all.

Edited by Max2000