Renting A Motorbike In Cm

ianf

My son who is visiting wants to rent a motobike. Trouble is they want to hold his passport, which I think is wrong and should not happen. Anywhere in Chiang Mai with a better policy? Or somewhere I can buy a cheap motorbike?

Thanks

It's pretty common to keep the passports; this makes it more likely that renters return even when they crash the bike or get it stolen.

That said, many rental places will also accept a money deposit of 2000 or 3000 baht.

A good place to rent would be Mr. Mechanic in Soi 7 Moon Muang. (Though many, MANY others are similar)

A very good tip would be to padlock the bike properly (not just the steering lock) every time, and preferably with his own lock, easily purchased from Tesco or another hypermarket (or regular market) in town.

And proper helmet.. And not drinking and then riding.. And not riding at night if it can be avoided..

Yeah, if they don't accept a copy just go somewhere else. Always keep your passport, its only in the communist countries that want your passports.

Try Mr Mechanic, I left a copy with them plus a 3000 Baht deposit. Just make sure you get the deposit recorded somewhere on your receipt. There are places that accept just a passport copy, but they were all out of bikes when I went there.

It's pretty common to keep the passports; this makes it more likely that renters return even when they crash the bike or get it stolen.

That said, many rental places will also accept a money deposit of 2000 or 3000 baht.

A good place to rent would be Mr. Mechanic in Soi 7 Moon Muang. (Though many, MANY others are similar)

A very good tip would be to padlock the bike properly (not just the steering lock) every time, and preferably with his own lock, easily purchased from Tesco or another hypermarket (or regular market) in town.

And proper helmet.. And not drinking and then riding.. And not riding at night if it can be avoided..

Pretty common or not, don't give your passport to these people to hold!!

AS WTK states, a deposit is the way to go any half decent firm will settle for this.

If I ever need to rent a bike, I carry a heavy duty length of chain with a bloody big padlock in the basket for parking up around town. Too many stories of people hiring bikes and then being stolen with owners requesting exhorbitant amounts from renters.

Strangely the bikes seem to reappear after the renter leaves town.

One of those "many others" I know very well, having rented for one year from : SMILE, Motorbike Rental. The delightful lady can speak enough English to make reservations easy. She has a small desk inside the big NIYOM PHANICH Showroom at 51/71, Ratchadamnern Road. 084-743-4533. She owns the rental business herself. Its between the Montri Hotel and the AUA Language Centre if that helps at the Thapae Gate end. She certainly doesn't have my passport.

Edited by Asmerom

I can't say about motorcycle rentals because I've never rented one but all the car rental places I've been to in Thailand require your original passport to be held by them. They are renting you a vehicle worth 300-600K or more. I would want the original passport as well if I was handing a complete stranger the keys to my car! There are a lot of scum and scammer foreigners in Thailand these days.

Freddy123 is wrong in his post. Some European countries also require you to leave your passport with them when you rent a car.

I can't say about motorcycle rentals because I've never rented one but all the car rental places I've been to in Thailand require your original passport to be held by them. They are renting you a vehicle worth 300-600K or more. I would want the original passport as well if I was handing a complete stranger the keys to my car! There are a lot of scum and scammer foreigners in Thailand these day

So you obviously haven't been to, perhaps the most well-known car rental place in Chiang Mai :: NORTH WHEELS. I've just returned my Honda after a weeks rental and nothing was mentioned about leaving my passport which is simply a ridiculous request.They wanted a credit card number but were quite happy with a 5000 deposit.

The hire shops in CM are for the most part reasonable and honest... (unlike the ones on Beach Road in Pattaya and Patong)... I have many times rented a bike from them, and my only concern is the security of my passport when in their care... they are all just thrown into an unlocked draw...

Of all of the forms of ID, the passport is the one I worry least about someone else copying, because it had a big photo of an ugly farang on the second page...

I worry a little about it being stolen from the bike shop, but the 'problem' of being stuck in Thailand waiting for a replacement isn't so unappealing :) ...

As said above, they are renting you a significant capital investment, and your passport is the guarantee that you will bring the bike back... If you look at it from their point of view, what if you crashed the bike, and it was a total write-off... how easy would it be to just leave it on the side of the road and skip town if you didn't need to go back to the shop and get your passport???

That said, Mr Beer is willing to rent a bike without holding your passport, but the deposit (for a D-Tracker) is 7,000... I assume that is about his excess on the insurance...

I wouldn't think twice about leaving a passport... for me it is a non-issue, no worries (and now will come all the posters about how the passport belongs to the Gov't and you aren't allowed to leave it etc, etc)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

The hire shops in CM are for the most part reasonable and honest... (unlike the ones on Beach Road in Pattaya and Patong)... I have many times rented a bike from them, and my only concern is the security of my passport when in their care... they are all just thrown into an unlocked draw...

Of all of the forms of ID, the passport is the one I worry least about someone else copying, because it had a big photo of an ugly farang on the second page...

I worry a little about it being stolen from the bike shop, but the 'problem' of being stuck in Thailand waiting for a replacement isn't so unappealing :) ...

As said above, they are renting you a significant capital investment, and your passport is the guarantee that you will bring the bike back... If you look at it from their point of view, what if you crashed the bike, and it was a total write-off... how easy would it be to just leave it on the side of the road and skip town if you didn't need to go back to the shop and get your passport???

That said, Mr Beer is willing to rent a bike without holding your passport, but the deposit (for a D-Tracker) is 7,000... I assume that is about his excess on the insurance...

I wouldn't think twice about leaving a passport... for me it is a non-issue, no worries (and now will come all the posters about how the passport belongs to the Gov't and you aren't allowed to leave it etc, etc)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I agree.

Standard, reasonable and never had a problem in 10 years.

Cheers,

Daewoo

I agree.

I have no problem leaving my passport for a car rental. It's simple good faith, i.e. return the car in the same condition as you got it and get your passport back. It's standard procedure. Yes of course there are always exceptions like the place Asmerom refers to.

Cheers,

Daewoo

I agree.

I have no problem leaving my passport for a car rental. It's simple good faith, i.e. return the car in the same condition as you got it and get your passport back. It's standard procedure. Yes of course there are always exceptions like the place Asmerom refers to.

It is a legal requirement in Thailand to carry your passport - not a copy - at all times.

Why not leave an unsigned credit card voucher or make a deposit.

If they have your passport they have you over a barrel for any "damage" cliams . happens a lot on phuket with jet skis too

Freddy123 is wrong in his post. Some European countries also require you to leave your passport with them when you rent a car.

I was talking about renting a motorbike, after all this is what the thread is about is it not? I was also talking about asia in general, not europe, I would have a bit more confidence giving someone my passport in most parts of europe (mainly becuase they usually have a police force that does its job to some degree)

When i used to come here on holiday I would always leave my passport for a motorbike, but then i was accused of damaging, a big long scratch at the side for which they wanted 2,000 baht. I know for sure that the scratch was their before because it was so deep, but was naive enough to think that they knew this, so they had my passport, pay up or no passport.

My only advice on the passport thing is to bring a camera take pictures or make a short movie noting the damage with the person that is renting you the bike in full view. They might look at you thinking you are mad or might take slight offense but you just explain that they have your passport for insurance and you have a movie for insurance. If you do break something go and get it fixed before you take it back or at least buy the parts from the shop and offer them to them.

When i used to come here on holiday I would always leave my passport for a motorbike, but then i was accused of damaging, a big long scratch at the side for which they wanted 2,000 baht. I know for sure that the scratch was their before because it was so deep, but was naive enough to think that they knew this, so they had my passport, pay up or no passport.

My only advice on the passport thing is to bring a camera take pictures or make a short movie noting the damage with the person that is renting you the bike in full view. They might look at you thinking you are mad or might take slight offense but you just explain that they have your passport for insurance and you have a movie for insurance. If you do break something go and get it fixed before you take it back or at least buy the parts from the shop and offer them to them.

I've seen them renting motorcycles at Buddy's on Thanon Huay Kaew and they always ask the customer to come with them as they inspect for damage and they have a diagram of the bike. If there is a scratch or dent they indicate where it is and mark it on the diagram and the customer initials it. If the customer sees something, he/she can likewise mark it on the diagram. I noticed they ask for the original passport as well.

The above is standard procedure when renting a car obviously.

Had an amusing insite into this recently. Rented a bike from a well know company for a Thai friend. Seeing a Farang they immediately wanted my original passport. No, "It's for a Thai" I say, and offered him the Thai's ID card (Contract was to be in that name anyway). "No cannot, not allowed to take Thai ID card" was the reply, and a 2000 Bt deposit was requested instead - no problem (And I even got it back).

Another case of the dual standard thing for Thai's and foreigners.

BTW, in case you were wondering you would be completely mad to rent a bike for a Thai in your own name......

They only want to be sure to get the claim if you wreck the bike, because no bike has more then traffic insurance so , this is what you need if you have accident with another car or vehicle and many do not have tax or insurance. IF you want to rent go to hertz ore Avis

To the OP- maybe just buy your kid a cheap used beater Wave or Dream 100.

10-15K B should buy something decent in running condition....

Other posters with more time than I have right now can provide the times and location of a well known weekend motorsai auction place.

They only want to be sure to get the claim if you wreck the bike, because no bike has more then traffic insurance so , this is what you need if you have accident with another car or vehicle and many do not have tax or insurance. IF you want to rent go to hertz ore Avis

I have rented from Queen Bee (2 or 3 blocks south of Ta Pae Gate inside the moat) quite a number of times over the years. Yes, they do keep one's passport. But as for insurance, there is full coverage available for--I don't remember--maybe an extra 50 baht a day. So for something like 150 baht per day you can rent with no worries about insurance. And, it's good insurance too. A few years ago during Songkrahn I was broadsided by a speeding cyclist. I awoke from unconsciousness in Chang Peuak Hospital. I suffered only a broken toe and a few other cuts and scrapes. My rented cycle was totaled. The insurance paid for the 1 night in the hospital plus the full replacement cost of the cycle. Certainly a wise investment.

What about the bigger firms where you can rent in one city and drop off in another.

Does the passport get sent on ahead? :)

If you're on about cars (even though this thread is about bikes) then the big guys like Avis, Hertz and Budget don't keep your passport just a copy and a swipe of your credit card like in the West.

Buddy rental took my driving license instead and asked for no deposit. They said if I have any kind of police stop i can just show them the blue agreement paper. Was kinda surprised by the no deposit!

Most bike places seem happy with a 2-3k deposit. For a car, North Wheels (as said earlier) wanted my passport, but were happy with a copy I gave them - there was a bit of fun with the deposit, they wanted to swipe a credit card, but wouldn't take a debit card (BKK Bank), after several calls to the boss, he took cash - 5k. I even phoned and moved the return time (they picked up and dropped off for free) for no charge - wasn't cheap hire though - 5k came back (same notes, stapled to my copy of passport!) - they also wanted to see my driving license, but once checked gave it back to me. No worries.

Buddy rental took my driving license instead and asked for no deposit. They said if I have any kind of police stop i can just show them the blue agreement paper. Was kinda surprised by the no deposit!

Same for me. I rent from Buddy all the time. I just give them my driver's license, never a passport, never a deposit. They'll mark every little nick on their diagram of the bike. Never a problem when returniong the bike. Based on the number of driver's licenses in the desk drawer they must have 50-100 motorbikes rented out at any given time.

I've also rented a car several times from the place on Tha Pai Road just outside the gate. They copy my passport and driver's license and swipe my credit card. No deposit required. Free pick-up and delivery too. Very reasonable prices.

when i have friends from the uk over i always take them to pops to hire a bike (unless they want a harley or a bmw etc) i have never had a problem or false claim for the status of the bike. they will make a copy of your passport in the shop and give it you back, sometimes they want a deposit, sometimes not.

good shop

Same for me. I rent from Buddy all the time. I just give them my driver's license, never a passport, never a deposit. They'll mark every little nick on their diagram of the bike. Never a problem when returniong the bike. Based on the number of driver's licenses in the desk drawer they must have 50-100 motorbikes rented out at any given time.

I've also rented a car several times from the place on Tha Pai Road just outside the gate. They copy my passport and driver's license and swipe my credit card. No deposit required. Free pick-up and delivery too. Very reasonable prices.

How much are the bikes to rent at Buddy's?

Depends on the bike Jazvisa. Im renting one in the higher rental price range.

Icon / Fino is 150 a day, goes down to 120 (if i recall correct) if you rent for 3 days +. Monthly rental is 3200.

Other bikes like Honda click start out at 120 a day i think.

Ive rented for just over a month, but will be buying my own bike soon, so is just a temp situation.

If i rent for longer ill be looking for a cheaper price for sure.

Cheers for the fast reply.

Sounds alright, im only looking for about a week and the guys there get good reviews so think I might see if they have a honda icon available.

So they take your license, you ever had any trouble with the police for not having it on u?

Edited by jazvisa