Thaksin Condemns Times Online For False Reporting

george

THAKSIN'S INTERVIEW

Thaksin condemns Times online for false reporting

Fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra claimed on Monday that the interview published on Times online was a total lie and distorted, adding that it had caused misunderstanding among readers and Thais.

He was referring to the interview conducted in Dubai by Richard Parry, whose article was published with a headline that touched upon the royal successor.

In an urgent statement, Thaksin claimed the headline was totally unfounded and that he had never touched up on the subject during the interview.

"I did not say anything like that," he said.

He also denied that he said that he had "called for reform of the country's revered monarchy and spoken of a 'shining' new age after the era of the ailing King, Bhumibol Adulyadej".

He reiterated that he never had never spoken to the press about the monarchy, adding that he has always been loyal and protective of the royals, and believed they should never be linked to politics.

He said the article was a lie and caused confusion, adding that he had told the journalist several times that the monarchy issue was very sensitive and that the report should be as accurate as possible.

"I condemn Times online for reporting lies and causing confusion on the matter. I want everyone to know that I and my family are loyal to Their Majesties and are ready to sacrifice our lives," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a surprise, an article comes out - he knows that what he said is probably not apporiate, and then he races to deny it. In Thaksinland, the only person who ever tells the truth us himself, or people who support him. I very much doubt that The Times would have made it all up.

Given the position taken earlier today re this by the board, people may not know that the Times has also published a transcript [though it is noted as edited] of the interview itself which formed the basis for the article.

Are links permissible now?

Regards

Do not post links to the article, please Google it if you want to read it.

Thanks for your understanding! :)

Even more interesting when some of his fans are very happy to use some of these publications as The Truth (especially if they contradict local papers) when it comes to others things, will they now proclaim that this article does indeed proclaim the truth or does it only work when it is subjects and bias they approve on?

Even more interesting when some of his fans are very happy to use some of these publications as The Truth (especially if they contradict local papers) when it comes to others things, will they now proclaim that this article does indeed proclaim the truth or does it only work when it is subjects and bias they approve on?

I think a lot of us know the answer to that.

Even better, look for 'Thaksin Shinawatra: the full transcript of his interview with The Times' - they are covering their bases by putting up 12 pages of transcripts.

He certainly is trying now to cover his tracks, but probably a little late. The Times are not known for being a slipshod paper that rubs bogus interviews, so I very much doubt they would have published it, if it was made up.

The interview is real, the journalist focused on some of the more juicier pieces, almost taken out of context (I say almost, since he jumps over Thaksins constaint praise for HRM) and highlights it in a way Thaksin ofcourse isn't happy with.

So, it isn't as much false reporting as...creative.

If Thaksin feels that he was improperly quoted he can always start a lawsuit against the Times! He did that in Thailand with many media institutions even though he says the Thai judiciary is biased :D it never stopped him from starting lawsuits.

So let him start one in the UK now against the Times and lets see who wins .... or is he afraid that the UK courts are biased :)

W

Given the position taken earlier today re this by the board, people may not know that the Times has also published a transcript [though it is noted as edited] of the interview itself which formed the basis for the article.

Regards

Have been unable to get past the title page of the Times since yesterday. I would put it down to the internet service, but in this situation obviously the govt spywatchers are working overtime to not let this through. And to think all I wanted to read was the reports on the rugby.

^ I have and no he doesn't...

/edit/

By the by the journalist has a long track record within Asia, has been notably ambivalent about Abhisitt, and so may have been viewed as a sympathetic ear by Thaksin. Though no Lord Timbo of Bell acolytes around to help this time I guess.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Have been unable to get past the title page of the Times since yesterday. I would put it down to the internet service, but in this situation obviously the govt spywatchers are working overtime to not let this through. And to think all I wanted to read was the reports on the rugby.

I have read it today with no problems.

I have read it today with no problems.

The Times will not go past the title page for me.

May be the internet, but all other pages are opening with no problem whatsoever.

Regards

Try again. I had absolutely no problem accessing the full transcript (in 12 parts). There is no censorship on this one.

The interview is real, the journalist focused on some of the more juicier pieces, almost taken out of context (I say almost, since he jumps over Thaksins constaint praise for HRM) and highlights it in a way Thaksin ofcourse isn't happy with.

I second that; people who wish to comment should read the full 12 pages of transcript first.

It's simple and like George mentioned already: just Google for Thaksin Shinawatra: the full transcript of his interview with The Times in which Richard Lloyd Parry, Asia Editor of The Times spoke with him.

I agree with TAWP and think that mr. Lloyd Parry wrote the article, based upon his interview with Thaksin, a little more juicy and spicy in order to attract more buyers, readers and attention for The Times.

He was successful :)

Edit:

It's worth mentioning that in the sub-headline of the "full transcript" it also says: "Here are edited excerpts from their (Richard Lloyd Parry & Thaksin Shinawatra) conversation" :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Try again. I had absolutely no problem accessing the full transcript (in 12 parts). There is no censorship on this one.

I would imagine that the government are probably quite happy to give Thaksin a bit of rope on this one. Certainly with some of the Thai comments on the article that are posted below, he certainly has upset a few people with the comments.

^ I have a better suggestion: search and review the Far East Economic Review lese majesty case in 2002. Then see the links between the reaction of Thaksin then and what he said now. The light will go on.

Regards

PS Let me add that the initial links to this in the Thai internet [hours ago] were to the 12 pages, and so far on the Times site the most read is the 12 pages lead-in not the article.

Edit chevron & PS

Edited by A_Traveller

^ I have and no he doesn't...

Regards

Agreed, Thaksin has hung himself with this.

Only if charges are filed by the authorities and it is pursued in the courts. Otherwise it will always be a case of his denying it. Who do you think the people in the northeast are going to believe, Thaksin or a foreign newspaper?

Only if charges are filed by the authorities and it is pursued in the courts. Otherwise it will always be a case of his denying it. Who do you think the people in the northeast are going to believe, Thaksin or a foreign newspaper?

Well, that will depend on how it gets reported here, but I am sure that some of his comments will not endear himself to a number of people, and to be honest he has only bought more problems on himself by spouting off.

As for authorities pursuing it, I guess we will have to wait and see. I suspect they will though.

I would imagine that the government are probably quite happy to give Thaksin a bit of rope on this one. Certainly with some of the Thai comments on the article that are posted below, he certainly has upset a few people with the comments.

I would dearly love to read it, but honestly can't get the Times to load past the first page with either Chrome or Explorer.

I am not BS'ing anyone. It won't load.

Put this one down to gremlins. Maybe every computer user in Thailand is trying to access the Times Online site. LOL

Edited by Thai at Heart

Just read the full 12 pages and compared to the published version and can only say the editor did a job on that one. In the whole context seemed like quite a candid frank interview.

It is highly unlikely the Times would fabricate any of the story. Just creative editing. Would be interesting to know if the interview was conducted in English (I didn't think Thaksin's English was that good) or transcribed via a translator.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I second that; people who wish to comment should read the full 12 pages of transcript first.

It's simple and like George mentioned already: just Google for Thaksin Shinawatra: the full transcript of his interview with The Times in which Richard Lloyd Parry, Asia Editor of The Times spoke with him.

I agree with TAWP and think that mr. Lloyd Parry wrote the article, based upon his interview with Thaksin, a little more juicy and spicy in order to attract more buyers, readers and attention for The Times.

He was successful :)

Edit:

It's worth mentioning that in the sub-headline of the "full transcript" it also says: "Here are edited excerpts from their (Richard Lloyd Parry & Thaksin Shinawatra) conversation" :D

LaoPo

Note, Thaksin is not saying he was misquoted or that his comments were taken out of context. Instead, he is saying that the alleged offending comments are a total lie.

I don't know much about The Times. Do they normally fabricate their stories?

Note, Thaksin is not saying he was misquoted or that his comments were taken out of context. Instead, he is saying that the alleged offending comments are a total lie.

I don't know much about The Times. Do they normally fabricate their stories?

To be honest all newspapers have a history of sprucing things up if it means selling a few more papers. The Times in fairness though is one of the better papers in The UK, and really there is no political motivation for the times to try and push a certain angle of the story. My understanding is that the journalist is respected and has a track record of reporting in Asia.