Bt3m Okayed For Drainage Projects

The government has released more than Bt3 million baht to fix the drainage problem in two key areas of the island in preparation for the coming monsoon season. Samui normally get heavy rains in November. And because of a bad drainage system, these usually result in flashfloods that cause terrible traffic around the island.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/local-list/57...e-projects.html

They probably will fix everything with used smartie tubes if the 900 million baht ring road restoration is anything to go by. :/

So is that what you think? What about all the drainage work being done around the island?Do you think the ring road will be fixed in just a couple of months?

Don't you think put the drainage in first, then attend to the re-surfacing? The 900 million is over a period of 3 years from memory.

Can't please everyone, can they now. :)

Having lived here for several years and seen the incompetance of road and drainage contractors, what is happening now gives me hope. The rain over the last week has caused no floodng around Laemdin Market and on the ring road near Chewang. I continue to keep my fingers crossed that there will be a longterm improvement to the infrastructure of the roads on Samui... :)

The current Tessabaan really seems to be alot more serious about getting the ringroad sorted out than any previous Tessabaan. Hats off to them, it seems that in the current Tessabaan there are actually some poeple who can look into the future and slowly start some processes that are right for the island. Can only hope for more!

Not saying that everything's perfect but it's definately a good and hopeful start.

...well was quite an embarrassment the intensive flooding couple a years ago, wasn't it?

Maybe it worked as an eye opener..

But then if one has a closer look, how the drainage works are done :) they cut a new ditch next to the existing road without ANY fortifying support to the existing road and it's layers below.... then once the work is done, everything is new and shiny, one can see damage done by heavy vehicles, where the supporting spoil underneath the roads has been washed away or disappeared other wise while the construction work was going on, this means building something new in front but tossing over with ones _ss what's behind... :D I think it's quite funny, but no really it isn't - it's a shame and a big, big money waster, the way this is done! :D

certainly NOT impressed with this going on... but still credits to the over all efforts, very little flooding till now, it' has rained yet, much, has it?

Give it a 24 hrs. down pour, than we'll see!

Edited by Samuian

The differenc enow is that falsh sloodings still occur but they only last for a couple of hours incontrast to a couple of days.

What also laready has been pointed out, tar will be on the ringroad, but this is a project for next year. Again, not everything is perfect bit it's a big improvement on previous Tessabaan's activities.

The differenc enow is that falsh sloodings still occur but they only last for a couple of hours incontrast to a couple of days.

What also laready has been pointed out, tar will be on the ringroad, but this is a project for next year. Again, not everything is perfect bit it's a big improvement on previous Tessabaan's activities.

asphaltum covered roads will be a giant leap forward, specially in noise reduction and possible dust control an hope fully much, much less potholes!

The current Tessabaan really seems to be alot more serious about getting the ringroad sorted out than any previous Tessabaan. Hats off to them, it seems that in the current Tessabaan there are actually some poeple who can look into the future and slowly start some processes that are right for the island. Can only hope for more!

Not saying that everything's perfect but it's definately a good and hopeful start.

With the natural beauty the island retains it can only be hoped you are right limbos.

I hope they have the willingness and mandate to reach a sensible balance between development and a sustainable ecological future for this wonderful island.

I don't know how far it will run, but the black top road is growing at a fast rate between Hua Thannon and Hin Ta Hin Yai. You have to slow down a lot at the moment because there is little or no traffic control, which means they spray the wet tar first, you've guessed it, you drive over it. Makes a lovely mess. Is it ok to use petrol to remove the said tar from your car, washing immediately after of course, and the car. Any more areas around the Island getting this treatment? Smooth..................... :)

i am no expert on laying tarmac but i am prity sure laying a couple of inches straight onto the old concrete will not work for long. i would imagine with the heat and heavy trucks it will soon lift. i have seen they are spraying liquid tar first but still think there has to be more to it than that. when the gypsies at home do it this way on house drive ways it does not last long let alone on a major road.

cars are going to be a right mess covered in Tar spots.

:) A big help would be to install a truck weighing station (near the ferries) like every other changwat in Thailand and sock it to the 24 wheelers loading the mega marts and building suppliers. The nearest one is on the road from Surat to the Donsak turnoff and the quality of that highway speaks for itself. Any answer from the Tessabaan why Samui has not installed one ? (Answer ... vested interests!)

Before:

post-94381-1258433330_thumb.jpg

New covers:

post-94381-1258433390_thumb.jpg

With finishing touches:

post-94381-1258433418_thumb.jpg

Instead of taking up the old covers, workers have just set frames on top and poured concrete. These covers are actually in the lane of traffic (see third photo), not just on the shoulder. They are raised about 2.5 to 3 inches (6 or 7cm) above the surface of the street.

The asphalt sloshed up against the edges will soon deteriorate but even so, I rode over one at a slow speed and it was a jolt that nearly knocked my false teeth right out of my head -- hit at normal speed could easily result in losing control and crashing.

These are so blatantly dangerous and a series of crashes waiting to happen that I am flabbergasted that no one has raised an alarm over them.

Someone in the know please tell me that these are temporary and that they are waiting for an auspicious day to actually countersink them flush with the roadway....

Edited by theyincorporated

Ah, interesting.

Could someone relate the advantages or disadvantages of asphalt (bitumen) vs cement (that is currently what the entire island ring road is made of)?

I have no faith in the workmanship or materials used in Thailand, but I am aware that both, constructed properly, can be long-lasting roads. But I wonder why the switch. And more to the point, why patch small sections of the road with concrete, yet lay asphalt in other sections (unless they are going to cover the patches with asphalt too)?

What I think you will find, is they repair the concrete in parts, so the asphalt will have a good base. The road outside the ferry terminal in Nathon, is starting to crack in parts, where the concrete was nor correctly repaired.

Advantages of asphalt? Easier to lay & repair.

It will be a huge step forward when the roads are re surfaced. I just hope that the many idiot "speed merchants" that infest our roads won't see this as an oppounity to drive faster :)

Good point. Let's hope the new tarmac roads don't turn into a Sunday afternoon drag strip for speed merchants. Personally, I'm really looking forward to a leisurely drive round the island on my Harley, not looking out for potholes but enjoying the ride and countryside..... :D

Edited by screamingeagle

Roo's quote : --- "What I think you will find, is they repair the concrete in parts, so the asphalt will have a good base. The road outside the ferry terminal in Nathon, is starting to crack in parts, where the concrete was nor correctly repaired.

Advantages of asphalt? Easier to lay & repair."

It's interesting on KP the Centre road that went up through the island used to be blacktop & within the last two years they have ripped it out & relaid concrete... last I saw the north end was still being worked on. Perhaps the longer term plan is to re black top the whole road there too?

Laying black top, (or Concrete) needs a good foundation .... a weak foundation is going to crack what ever is laid on top. On one repair job I saw near Bopout, they had wood mixed with the gravel... no wonder the foundations are weak & give way.... after a short period... It's why house foundations crack here too... wood mixed with the base fill.....

Generally the roads on the south & west side of Samui are in much better state, probably as there is less heavy traffic & far fewer trucks.... ?

The main roads on the mainland, have mostly impressed me as to how good they are, few pot holes... what are they doing differently? ... proper management of the foundations, perhaps?

Edited by samuijimmy

Asphalt looks promising....But how does the climate on this subtropical island affect? It seams that no one here remember the total disaster when the Thais tried to asphalt the mainroad in Had Lamai sometimes in the early end of 90`s ?

Lets hope the quality of the bitumen has improved and the fact, that it now has a much better ground will make it last and that it will not crack into billions of small stones that will make the road more slippery than the area Bambi used to dance on.

Mr Lamai

Edited by Mr lamai

Totally agree. I went to Lamai the other night and the tarmac stretches from Hua Thanon all the way to the middle entry to Lamai. It appears they are doing a proper job laying the tarmac as thick as I think it should be. In fact they were still working at 7pm. I have been living here for 15 years and this is one thing I have been waiting for all this time. About ****** time. I guess it will take some months before they manage to complete the ring road. Not sure if any other roads are planned for this upgrade. Heres hoping.

This has been a long time problem and with the new administration it seems to be solved soon. I've been also there today and I have to tell i'm impressed with the way how they doing it and looking forward to do the whole ring road and the beach roads in chaweng, bangrak, bophut as well.

One thing i do not understand why they starting it in Hua Thanon if the most frequented and affected areas are in the chaweng, bophut, bangrak triangle...

Anyway its a good start and now we can hope they finish soon. Hopefully they paint some proper fluorescent lines and the police can start do to the daily speed checks because now everybody going fast & crazy on the new road without helmet.

I would also ban the smokey trucks and bikes, they are not good for the environment, why the police let them to go like that i never understand...

This has been a long time problem and with the new administration it seems to be solved soon. I've been also there today and I have to tell i'm impressed with the way how they doing it and looking forward to do the whole ring road and the beach roads in chaweng, bangrak, bophut as well.

One thing i do not understand why they starting it in Hua Thanon if the most frequented and affected areas are in the chaweng, bophut, bangrak triangle...

Anyway its a good start and now we can hope they finish soon. Hopefully they paint some proper fluorescent lines and the police can start do to the daily speed checks because now everybody going fast & crazy on the new road without helmet.

I would also ban the smokey trucks and bikes, they are not good for the environment, why the police let them to go like that i never understand...

I'm delighted that the resurfacing is going well. But here we go....."people driving fast and crazy". With quality new roads the BIB must act to enforce speed control or it's going to be like the Indi 500 here.

I won't jump the gun again, but they put down small strips around Lamai, seemingly without reason. I assume that they will lay another layer on the top, but driving on the sections where they have "completed" work you will find several areas where the asphalt has been poorly applied, is uneven and looks very much like places where potholes will develop.

What I want to know is this: They have been raising the cement drain covers to accommodate the new asphalt, but what about the grill-covered drains they put in a couple of years ago around the Buddy complex? You know the ones I mean, the ones that are always failing and are welded again only to fail again. Are they going to put frames around these and raise the grills? Are they going to replace the grills altogether (which they should -- I never drive over one, ever. I have seem some catastrophic failures that would swallow me if I was the unlucky first one to hit them)?

Seeing how good intentions here are always spoiled by poor workmanship and materials, I will reserve judgment on the final results.

Edit: By the way, those who speed do not care about the surface of the roads.

Edited by theyincorporated

I won't jump the gun again, but they put down small strips around Lamai, seemingly without reason. I assume that they will lay another layer on the top, but driving on the sections where they have "completed" work you will find several areas where the asphalt has been poorly applied, is uneven and looks very much like places where potholes will develop.

What I want to know is this: They have been raising the cement drain covers to accommodate the new asphalt, but what about the grill-covered drains they put in a couple of years ago around the Buddy complex? You know the ones I mean, the ones that are always failing and are welded again only to fail again. Are they going to put frames around these and raise the grills? Are they going to replace the grills altogether (which they should -- I never drive over one, ever. I have seem some catastrophic failures that would swallow me if I was the unlucky first one to hit them)?

Seeing how good intentions here are always spoiled by poor workmanship and materials, I will reserve judgment on the final results.

Edit: By the way, those who speed do not care about the surface of the roads.

Those that speed will always take advantage of a better road surface