Bt3m Okayed For Drainage Projects

Just had an early morning ride round the island on my bike. What a pleasure it is to drive on the black top road around Lamai!!! Fantastic. Can't wait for the whole ring round to be done. The only mishap, this morning, was a chicken flying across the road which I just managed to avoid. :) So why did the chicken cross the road? Answers on a postcard to etc. etc....... :D

Edited by screamingeagle

Just had an early morning ride round the island on my bike. What a pleasure it is to drive on the black top road around Lamai!!! Fantastic. Can't wait for the whole ring round to be done. The only mishap, this morning, was a chicken flying across the road which I just managed to avoid. :) So why did the chicken cross the road? Answers on a postcard to etc. etc....... :D

Chicken cross the road, because it saw a screaming eagle?

Hi!

I think the asphalt is good for the roads.

A friend who lives in Phuket said that asphalt will get slippery when it gets very hot and it will be dangerous for motorbikes who is not used to it. I hope we don't get more accidents because of the asphalt. We have enough as it is.

The idea of making a better drainagesystem around the island is great but aren't the roads getting more narrow when they put the new iron bars in the bikelane?

The motorbikes are avoiding to drive on them as far as i have seen. The whole idea of having a bikelane.....i just don't get it. :)

/comehome

Hi!

I think the asphalt is good for the roads.

A friend who lives in Phuket said that asphalt will get slippery when it gets very hot and it will be dangerous for motorbikes who is not used to it. I hope we don't get more accidents because of the asphalt. We have enough as it is.

The idea of making a better drainagesystem around the island is great but aren't the roads getting more narrow when they put the new iron bars in the bikelane?

The motorbikes are avoiding to drive on them as far as i have seen. The whole idea of having a bikelane.....i just don't get it. :)

/comehome

When asphalt gets hot, it gets sticky. When tyres get hot, they get sticky. Both make for better traction and road handling around corners.

I can understand the idea of bike lanes but they just don't work. The lanes have the drainage grids and are usually very sandy. Not to mention parked cars etc. Which makes them a nightmare to drive on. :D

Great to see the asphalt and attempted bettering of our roads. What concerns me is what happens when the rains really come and the underpinning foundation gives way. Unfortunately seems inevitable but possibly easy to repair, not sure? Also why do all the work on the drains in the north of the island (Maenam/Bophut/Chaweng? when the tarmac is obviously going to be sitting a few inches higher? Glad to see an improvement but skeptical of the actual change.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how far it will run, but the black top road is growing at a fast rate between Hua Thannon and Hin Ta Hin Yai. You have to slow down a lot at the moment because there is little or no traffic control, which means they spray the wet tar first, you've guessed it, you drive over it. Makes a lovely mess. Is it ok to use petrol to remove the said tar from your car, washing immediately after of course, and the car. Any more areas around the Island getting this treatment? Smooth.....................

WD40 will remove the tar/oil very easily. Just spray a bit on the area and watch the tar melt, then wipe it off.