Half A Year In The Uk, Half In Thailand.

vrsushi

I can afford to live in Thailand or the UK as I have a house and passive income in England.

But I would love to spend 6 months of the year in both. The trouble is I don't quite have enough for this option. I would need to earn say 3 thousand every year in the UK. Actually I also like the idea of having "some work" in my life to keep the balance right.

I'm 42 and really don't want to continue in my current field. A change is needed.

I am willing to train. Equally I am quite happy to do an unskilled job if I enjoyed it.

So what to do? How to earn 3kGBP a year over 6 summer months in the UK that A. Is relatively pleasant and B. A job that will be around in the coming years.

Anybody got a good idea?

Find yourself a seasonal job , i have, I work my nuts of for the winter in the UK then go to Thailand for 5/6 months, My job will take me back because they are busy in the winter and quite in the summer, Then that way you keep your feet on the ground , Thailand becomes a reality check and you don't lose track of the real Thailand and the UK.

Aside from cheap seasonal labour your best bet is to find a job which is in demand and join a job agency which can find you work when in the UK.

Really depends on your willingness to retrain.

The longer you can commit the better the cash you can earn.

You will need to make more than 3k in 6 months to make this worthwhile imo.

What sort of job are you looking to do?

Edited by smokie36

That's just it. I don't know!

But I figure there must be some type of skill or training that would allow me to easily get a bit of work every summer in the UK. I don't need a lot of cash, just a pleasent way to earn a few grand.

It"s also about me having some bablance to my life and not being on perpetual holiday.

Lots of suggestions on how to do it.

But no one addressed how to do it 25 years from now. If you were from the U.S. and you lived like this until retirement age, you would have

only social security to live on, and that might be a whopping 250 GBPs.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it today but not tomorrow, if I may twist the saying a little. Something to consider: I have seen too many retirees here who's biggest night out (all they can afford) is the food court at the mall (and only one dish, at that). Ask around and you will find them, also.

Well if you are a plumber or a builder I have been told that there is plenty of work in POLAND :D

Because all Polish plumbers and builders have emigrated to the UK? :D

I must admit that I am also thinking about spending half a year in Europe and the other half in Thailand. Theoretically, I can do it as long as I am a freelance translator and interpreter (I can quit and restart the business any time) but I am also working at a university (and I'm not sure whether I would have the courage to give up the job, at least at the moment), so it is more realistic to spend 1-2 months a year in the Land of Smiles ([a part of] January & February/February & August). Maybe some day it will change. :)

How about a groundsman for a national park during the summer? Get to sit around and do next to nothing all day. Sounds perfect to me.

That reminds me. A friend of mine used to work as a deckchair attendant on Bournemouth Beach during the summer and spent the winter in India. This was back in the days when you had to put your profession on your passport. The profession he put down (and I actually saw it) was "Chairman"!

How about a groundsman for a national park during the summer? Get to sit around and do next to nothing all day. Sounds perfect to me.

That reminds me. A friend of mine used to work as a deckchair attendant on Bournemouth Beach during the summer and spent the winter in India. This was back in the days when you had to put your profession on your passport. The profession he put down (and I actually saw it) was "Chairman"!

I like his style.

I've also been looking at a summer job in the UK and stumbled across a job working for an ornithological charity organistation. Free accomadation, and you get to sit around counting birds all day. And then in the winter come to Thailand and sit around...

I'm in the fortunate position that I'm retired. I spend 7 months in Canada and 5 months each winter in Thailand. It works perfectly for me and I get the best of both worlds. I live very nicely in Chiang Mai with about 50,000 baht a month to spend. I seldom spend it all, and I have a great time traveling around the country enjoying myself. I get a triple entry tourist visa and that covers the 5 months very well. I don't know how close this would relate to what you can earn, but it shouldn't be impossible. There have been several topics on how much one needs in Thailand to live a good life. Take off the extreme at both ends and you'll have a pretty good idea what it costs to live a reasonable life in Thailand.

Surely you mean 3K per month?

Virtually any job in the UK will pay 3K over 6 months.

If you've got a thick skin, no thick dialect, and the gift of the gab, telesales would generally pay well. (It's a shit job, but it's also one you can easily get on a temp basis).

If you're a computer programmer, IT contracting pays well, and you sign 6 month contracts usually. (although a few years of working 6 months at a time won't make you the ideal candidate when people look at your CV. Maybe less of an issue if it's a system administrator, or DBA role).

I like his style.

I've also been looking at a summer job in the UK and stumbled across a job working for an ornithological charity organistation. Free accomadation, and you get to sit around counting birds all day. And then in the winter come to Thailand and sit around...

Sounds like a lark but I work in a Uk hospital 6 months of the year and earn the 3k each fortnight sitting on my....

In thailand I like to chase the birds. :)

set up your own internet business and you don't have to work for somebody and can do it anywhere in the world - with wi-fi even on jomtien beach

Got any more information on how to earn 500 UK pounds a month from the internet? Thanks.

Got any more information on how to earn 500 UK pounds a month from the internet? Thanks.

if you don't want to set up your own business and website, in the area, you have an expertise, go on ebay and pay them for advertising you

That's just it. I don't know!

But I figure there must be some type of skill or training that would allow me to easily get a bit of work every summer in the UK. I don't need a lot of cash, just a pleasent way to earn a few grand.

It"s also about me having some bablance to my life and not being on perpetual holiday.

How about Donkey rides on Blackpool beach? Or am I showing my age? :)

are you guys for real ??

have any of you looked at the job market in England recently??

all the jobs mentioned buy other members are minimum wage jobs , you would be lucky to save more than 180 a week ...... if you had no expenses .

if your unskilled , forget it .... we’ve to many immigrants here doing all the unskilled jobs.

to get / save 500 .. you need a 650+ a week job .

get real ....dont listen to jokers on here.

i have been doing 6 / 6 for the last eight years , im in the building trade so i make good money ,but this year has been hard .

ww.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html