Iphone Weird Service Messages?!

nikster

I have now gotten about 3 different service messages. They were all in Thai, so I don't know what they were all about.

I don't even really know what it is to be honest - it's not a text message or SMS - it doesn't show up in the SMS application.

What happens is that the whole iPhone screen turns dark and displays the message, and <ACCEPT> <CANCEL> buttons at the bottom. I always hit cancel - don't know if this is a virus or what. I have Bluetooth turned off so that's not it. It's more like a service message, except I have never seen one with accept/cancel.

Has anyone seen this? What is it?

Can you put a screen shot of it up here and maybe someone can advise you.

To take a screen shot

Press and hold the "Home" button at center bottom of the phoneand press and release the "Sleep" button on top right of the phone. The iPhone flashes white briefly and the image is added to your "camera roll" on the phone.

Edited by bkkmick

Good point about the screen shot. Had the wife take a look at it this morning, it's some sort of horoscope thingy.

Since it's a service message, I assume AIS does this - who else could send out service messages?! Calling them about it now.

Well the AIS lady said all SMS had already been turned off on my account. She also said there are two kinds of SMS, one goes to the inbox, the other doesn't. But she seemed unsure what I am seeing, she wasn't like oh, of course, we'll remove it. She is looking into it now. Taking screen shot next time. Very annoying... maybe time to switch to True...

Edited by nikster

Well the AIS lady said all SMS had already been turned off on my account. She also said there are two kinds of SMS, one goes to the inbox, the other doesn't. But she seemed unsure what I am seeing, she wasn't like oh, of course, we'll remove it. She is looking into it now. Taking screen shot next time. Very annoying... maybe time to switch to True...

These are network messages not SMSs (some phones refer to them as 'notifications'). They can usually be turned off in the phone settings somewhere, although I have to admit, I don't recall seeing a setting for turning them off on my iPhone. I'm on AIS and I'm not getting any such messages, but I remember going through a stage a couple of years back (on AIS) where I was getting literally hundreds a day, but as I said, it was an easy setting change in the phone.

Searched all my settings, couldn't find a setting to turn these off. Maybe they come when I turn "notifications" on? I thought it's just for background notifications for instant messenger and so on but maybe it also enables these network messages. Anyway.. haven't seen one since that call ...

• 4 weeks later...
Can you put a screen shot of it up here and maybe someone can advise you.

To take a screen shot

Press and hold the "Home" button at center bottom of the phoneand press and release the "Sleep" button on top right of the phone. The iPhone flashes white briefly and the image is added to your "camera roll" on the phone.

On mine you press the "Home" button and the "Silent" button on the top left side of the iPhone.

Pressing the button on the top right puts it to sleep.