Thai Nuclear Power Plant Faces Strong Resistance

george

Thailand having a nuclear power plant, now that really is a scary thought.

Gosh BIG TIME YES! Nuclear power plants can be highly efficient and a great source of power but in LOS???!!! Gee whizz, maybe we all need to run out and buy a radiation suit soon? Do you REALLY trust them to get it right? Ever seen the old movie the China Syndrome, where a simple cost cutting measure by a sub-contractor of not x-raying all welds and repeating a good weld x-ray on official forms ended up in near potential catastrophic nuclear accident? Oh but couldn't possibly happen here! :) How dare I suggest that! :D OK I'm checking e-bay now for radiation protection equipment :D

Gosh .. gee whiz Dorothy! You must be right! .. you saw it all in a movie! Can't argue with that! 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4 firms listed as constructors above are well known and knowledgeable.

But are the conversant with how THAI construction crews and suppliers do business?

I have spoken with an American civil engineer, here for 30+ years building highway bridges,

he said he has WITHOUT FAIL to have himself and or a trusted, qualified, farang associate,

inspect EVERY single truck delivering on site and test metal content and other specs for EVERY

load.

And he sends loads back every 3-4 in a project begining till they 'Get It', and he keeps testing,

because they STILL try and sneak in a bad load in 10 or 12.... and then stand up to enraged puyai's

who are not getting their graft cut on dodgey loads.Still trying to send substandard materials,

and hearing "Falang BAA!" on a daily basis, and this just for bridges.

So imagine the need to watch out for a nuclear plant... You would need a metallurgy and

general science lab on site to test ALL materials for content and do each truck randomly,

if not every SINGLE truck load. And all this BEFORE operation training begins.

Those are 4 big and experienced power plant builders, but have they dealt with Thai conditions?

I agree with Animatic,otherwise an international ,preferably European consultancy group should be brought in for construction & implementation phases.

I'm sure America/Canada could help if approached .

The French have more experience and better insight.

Here's a scenario which was related to me by a couple farang who had designed a large construction project in southern Thailand (which shall remain nameless in this mention).

The Thai contractor had a bunch of Burmese laborers and promised them all he would pay them at the end of each month's work. Lo and behold, the final month he didn't pay them. Imagine if that happened on a nuclear site (already some people reading this are thinking 'no way that could happen!').

If a Burmese lower down was jilted a month's pay, and his brother happened to stay employed at a skilled job. The remaining brother could attempt some sabotage. Perhaps not bolt a pump firmly to the floor, or purposely skimp on some welding, or not attach a pressure hose 100%.

Stranger things have happened. I knew a guy who worked on the J.Edgar Hoover FBI HQ in Wash.DC. He told me he would drop plastic bottles of water in the setting cement when no one was looking, as his little way of showing his contempt for the FBI.

I agree with Animatic,otherwise an international ,preferably European consultancy group should be brought in for construction & implementation phases.

I'm sure America/Canada could help if approached .

Even America/Canada don't yet have a viable ways to deal with spent rods. Indeed, no country does.

Although a "properly" built nuclear energy plants have an excellent safety record....

Japanese are no slouchers when it comes to building things well. Yet their largest nuke plant, recently built, had a radiation leak.

In the OP it says EGAT plans to educate the Thai public and show them the 'pros and cons'. EGAT will present a slick sales pitch - with as much pizzazz as a multi billion baht corporation can muster. They're dead set on getting nuclear plants for Thailand - come hel_l or high water. Details

It was a US company that was contracted for many years to build the Ongkharak nuke plant.

As for Canada, they've been encouraging Thailand to go nuclear for years, paid for out of Canadian taxpayers money. hel_l, they even gave paper aeroplane Samak a free trip over to Canada to get him onboard Canadian technology a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken. the Canadadian govt. certainly gave lots of scholarships to bright Thai youngsters to go and study nuclear physics and related nuclear subjects in Canada a while back, as part of a bi-lateral aid package. So guess, it's all paying off now, but maybe not in the way Canada thought - there seems to be little interest in getting Canadian or US nuclear technology, perhaps due to transparency and pesky, nosy farang not looking the other way reasons? Id say, Thailand will probably get the cheapest nuke plant available, from the least transparent company from the dodgiest regime, although the Thai taxpayer will be expected to pay top dollar of course. You just know it makes sense in these hard times and credit crunch period. :)

I am all for it.

Build it in the deep south.

Sell the excess electricity to the neighbouring countries.

As a bonus; If anyone decides to blow it up, it will ultimately resolve the extremist situation.

Only downside; We would be short of electricity again.

Edited by RJJ

I am all for it.

As a bonus; If anyone decides to blow it up, it will ultimately resolve the extremist situation.

But it would also dissolve Phuket, Krabi and Samui the same day.

Generally not considered prudent to put Nuke facilities

over seismic faults and in terrorist zones of activity...

may i cite the names of the four companies that have so far proposed to build the four nuclear power generator plants?

these are the four giants who have made presentations to construct nuclear power generator plants to the thai

EGAT which stands for Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand:

firstly, the french AREVA;

secondly, the u.s. General Electric Co. (GE.N);

thirdly, the japanese Mitsubishi Corp.;

fourthly, the japanese Toshiba Corp. (6502.T);

fifthly, "we also expect another foreign firm coming in to make a presentation....,"....

the thai EGAT expects to build four nuclear generators facilities, each with 1,000 MW, as part of a 15 yrs power development plan to 2021, so as to add another 39,676.25 MW....

it was guesstimated that three would be along eastern seaboard and the fourth would be around phuket.... to attract more tourists into the regions.... lol

TAKE A LOOK AT THE POSSIBLE LOCATIONS per attachment, copyrighted by our infamous kalbertsen 2008

and the funds segregated for these projects would be from .... <may i pls have some additional time to research this very important topic.... lol>

post-75359-1258227437_thumb.jpg

Edited by nakachalet

I am all for it.

Build it in pattaya would be better if it blows up then a win win situation the place would be cleansed.

Build it in pattaya would be better if it blows up then a win win situation the place would be cleansed.

Joking aside, a nuclear mishaps could manifest in a number of different ways.

Some of those ways are more insidious than outright annihilation of sectors of human habitation. Lingering sicknesses and passing of defective genes to subsequent generations can be part of scenarios. Everything is focused on our one species, but of course radiation can affect all other species. It even degrades inanimate objects.

Everything tangible has electrons in its make-up. Radiation is rather like shaking loose electrons, and leaving traces for tens of thousands of years. It's a matter of degrees, in terms of exposure. A quick heavy dose of radiation close up can be as damaging as a sustained lesser dose from further away. The Russian damage-control workers who risked their lives at the Chernobyl reactor were allowing themselves brief few-minute durations of very high radiation exposure. That was debilitating and deadly. The region downwind from Chernobyl are fallow farms and deserted cities, and all living things were effected, even subsequent generations. Sweden suffered some effects of lower level radiation which blew across the sea from that disaster.

What entity, in Thailand, would offer insurance for the myriad affects of radiation leaks?

EGAT and others say that the nuclear plants designated for Thailand are different and newer design and less prone to disaster. That's all true. However, mishaps can still happen. Most mishaps result from unforeseen chains of events. Even state of the art oil drilling platforms suffer disasters once in awhile.

In a country like Thailand, where weird things happen and maintenance/security is often lax, the possibility of a serious nuclear mishap exists. Jenkins law is as relevant today as it was during all the other mishaps that we were told (before the fact) couldn't happen.

One example: How many Thai experts, climatologists or others, thought there might be a tsunami in the Indian Ocean which could threaten Thailand? And what safeguards were in place beforehand?

The answer is essentially zero. Ok, there supposedly was one man who made a mention of something (related to tsunami) beforehand, but he was ignored. Fact remains, if anyone had mentioned tsunami as being a threat to Thailand's Andaman coast before Boxer Day 2004, that person would have been ignored or ridiculed. Indeed, all but a very few Thais even knew the word 'tsunami' before that day.

I am all for it.

But it would also dissolve Phuket, Krabi and Samui the same day.

Generally not considered prudent to put Nuke facilities

over seismic faults and in terrorist zones of activity...

The fact that so many people equate possible Nuclear Power Plant problems to Hiroshima type atomic explosions shows how truly ignorant they are. The worst that could happen is radiation contamination of the surrounding area. Not entire cities and provinces being blown to bits .. or "dissolved" There was no 2 kilometer wide "hole" at Chernobyl. When the rods of uranium pellets go critical .. they just melt .. and release a lot of radiation .. they don't explode. No mushroom clouds .. end of story. 

Edited by tmark

I hope as many FARANG as possible join and support the protests of the locals and NGO's

Thailand already has enough (self-created) problems, it doesn't need a real timebomb in addition......

How is it a time bomb?

The last time I checked nuclear power was the safest and cleanest power available. Are you suggesting that Thailand should not attempt such a feat of engineering. Get educated!

I hope as many FARANG as possible join and support the protests of the locals and NGO's

Thailand already has enough (self-created) problems, it doesn't need a real timebomb in addition......

How is it a time bomb?

The last time I checked nuclear power was the safest and cleanest power available. Are you suggesting that Thailand should not attempt such a feat of engineering. Get educated!

Are you actually saying that nuclear is safer and cleaner than Hydro, wind, tidal and solar generated power? I find that very hard to believe.

But your right, my education regarding nuclear reactors is extremely limited.

How is it a time bomb?

Are you actually saying that nuclear is safer and cleaner than Hydro, wind, tidal and solar generated power? I find that very hard to believe.

LOONG

i also agree with you.... for i have not come across any chapter that explains nuclear generated power is safer and cleaner than power generated by natural resources.... lol

my educational training is also extremely limited as well.... lol i should have gone on to acquire some other degrees, in addion to the five.... lol

seriously now.... the power generated by nuclear power generator is immense and no one could argue with those supporters of nuclear power....

similarly, no one could argue with those who oppose the nuclear power because of safety or other issues and reasons, either....

i am only certain of one thing though.... as much as i was scared to death during the three mile island accidental incidents.... and as much as i am still having nightmare recalling how close to home it was.... and how i did not want any of my family members' flesh or hair etc rotting and falling off piece by piece.... while the govt was explaining that.... it was just an accident.... it was just a stupid human error.... and it was only one in a million probability.... the plant.... the generator.... were still very safe.... and if it were not safe, we certainly would not be here endangering ourselves now--would we?.... perhaps....

personally, what i am absolutely certain about is.... if and when the nuclear power generator plants in thailand are completed.... and just as everyone, particularly those gas and oil companies and supporters of nuclear power are celebrating their victories and successes....

i would definitely and quietly discounting and selling off all my holdings in thailand, piece by piece.... yes, i would accept cash in euro or usd in exchange for the holdings in thai soil.... any taker in the forum? a memorandum of understanding will suffice.... lol .... but my aging mum for one, would never, never, ever allow me to follow thru with that.... she would never want to live in any other countries except thailand.... besides, it would be a losing face proposition for her and also other elders in the family clan.... lol

just wondering, by that time period.... would thailand be like hongkok just before the time of handover...., whence the wealthiest would exodus for fear of communism.... whereas the thais would depart in drove for fear of the unimaginables.... lol

really, why would a human like my humble self be so concerned about what is going to happen in years to come.... when in all reality... i can not even tell.... what tomorrow is going to bring.... lol it is all up to Him.... i humbly concede....

l

Edited by nakachalet

nakachalet,

Although there are a lot of "tongue in cheek" comments in this topic and certainly not all Thais are incompetent, I do think it is fair to say that a lot are.

Although I don't believe you are serious with your planning, it's always good to have a plan "B" :D.

Look at the internet, a technology that evolved in the West. Yes 12, 15 years ago the internet was not a patch on what it is now. It has evolved rapidly an is amazing now compared to a decade ago.

The internet is an example of how the Thais can import a technology and totally F it up. I'll admit that there is not such a large customer base in Thailand, so perhaps not generating the income to improve infrastructure. But nevertheless the internet in Thailand is abysmal and most people accept it because "This is Thailand"

When the internet is poor because the engineers either aren't interested or don't possess the skills to correct a problem, it's just a case of a poor or slow connection. When it comes to using radioactive materials that same attitude/competence level could kill people.

Judging by my experiences with Thai electricians - If a red bulb is flashing "Core Meltdown Imminent", the obvious and easiest solution is "Unscrew the red bulb" :D:):D

Edited by loong

How is it a time bomb?

LOONG

i also agree with you.... for i have not come across any chapter that explains nuclear generated power is safer and cleaner than power generated by natural resources.... lol

my educational training is also extremely limited as well.... lol i should have gone on to acquire some other degrees, in addion to the five.... lol

seriously now.... the power generated by nuclear power generator is immense and no one could argue with those supporters of nuclear power....

similarly, no one could argue with those who oppose the nuclear power because of safety or other issues and reasons, either....

i am only certain of one thing though.... as much as i was scared to death during the three mile island accidental incidents.... and as much as i am still having nightmare recalling how close to home it was.... and how i did not want any of my family members' flesh or hair etc rotting and falling off piece by piece.... while the govt was explaining that.... it was just an accident.... it was just a stupid human error.... and it was only one in a million probability.... the plant.... the generator.... were still very safe.... and if it were not safe, we certainly would not be here endangering ourselves now--would we?.... perhaps....

personally, what i am absolutely certain about is.... if and when the nuclear power generator plants in thailand are completed.... and just as everyone, particularly those gas and oil companies and supporters of nuclear power are celebrating their victories and successes....

i would definitely and quietly discounting and selling off all my holdings in thailand, piece by piece.... yes, i would accept cash in euro or usd in exchange for the holdings in thai soil.... any taker in the forum? a memorandum of understanding will suffice.... lol .... but my aging mum for one, would never, never, ever allow me to follow thru with that.... she would never want to live in any other countries except thailand.... besides, it would be a losing face proposition for her and also other elders in the family clan.... lol

just wondering, by that time period.... would thailand be like hongkok just before the time of handover...., whence the wealthiest would exodus for fear of communism.... whereas the thais would depart in drove for fear of the unimaginables.... lol

really, why would a human like my humble self be so concerned about what is going to happen in years to come.... when in all reality... i can not even tell.... what tomorrow is going to bring.... lol it is all up to Him.... i humbly concede....

l

Do you REALLY have five degrees? :)

Although there are a lot of "tongue in cheek" comments in this topic and certainly not all Thais are incompetent, I do think it is fair to say that a lot are.

Judging by my experiences with Thai electricians - If a red bulb is flashing "Core Meltdown Imminent", the obvious and easiest solution is "Unscrew the red bulb" :D:):D

If that was another "tongue in cheek" comment .. ha ha .. if not .. you're an idiot.  :D

If that was another "tongue in cheek" comment .. ha ha .. if not .. you're an idiot. :D

Well, I hope that the Icons did indicate that it was another "tongue in cheek comment".

Of course, such an incompetent engineer would never be allowed to get near a nuclear power plant.

But that IS my experience with Thai electricians - safety device keep defaulting to safety cut out, then bypass the safety device.

But that IS my experience with Thai electricians - safety device keep defaulting to safety cut out, then bypass the safety device.

Loong, my guess is your experience with Thai electricans is related to domestic electrial work ie houses, as with other places in the world there are "electricans" and there are "Electricians"

On the domestic front, I am in full agreement with your comments regarding Thai "electricians", but in industry in Thailand, there are some excellent Thai electrical guys as good as anywhere in the world and I know this from first hand experience..

Back to the topic at hand...IMHO will Thailand go commerical nuclear however, as indicated in a previous post +/- 2021 is a date mentioned to have 4 X 1000MW up and running....11 years from now, it is highly unlikely that they could have 4000MW up and running as typical construction time for a typical 900MW unit is around 6-8 years, also jumping in an constructing 4 units at the same time is highly unlikely,the best they could possibly acheive is say 2 X 900MW PWR units in the time frame stated above.

Seeing as the sites havent been selected yet etc etc....even 11 years is optimistic to get 2 X 900 MW units up and running

The only other alternative is to 2 X 1800 MW 4 loop PWR systems, and although plants of this type have been designed, dont believe even the French have had the b*lls to build this type of unit due to the cost, so wouldnt see O-Land-of-Thai going that route..

Edited by Soutpeel

If that was another "tongue in cheek" comment .. ha ha .. if not .. you're an idiot. :D

Well, I hope that the Icons did indicate that it was another "tongue in cheek comment".

Of course, such an incompetent engineer would never be allowed to get near a nuclear power plant.

Sadly this actually HAS happened in a western Nuke plant.

The technician DID get fired and the whole staff got major retraining sessions.

So if it happens at all there, I can imagine it here all too easily.

There are disasterous leaks in Japan, and lets never forget Chernoble and Three Mile Island...

My general fears are amplified in Mai Bpen Rai land...

Sadly this actually HAS happened in a western Nuke plant.

The technician DID get fired and the whole staff got major retraining sessions.

So if it happens at all there, I can imagine it here all too easily.

There are disasterous leaks in Japan, and lets never forget Chernoble and Three Mile Island...

My general fears are amplified in Mai Bpen Rai land...

Have no fear .. I doubt they'll build one on Samui. Also .. thinking about Chernobyl and 3 mile Island is like thinking about the Hindenburg ..... time has passed .. improvements have been made .. lessons have been learned.

Anyway .. it's still a stupid idea... mainly because of the expense. I have no worries about safety. There are other ways to boil water to run a turbine. There are other ways to produce sustainable fuel for internal combustion driven turbines .. you just need more of them .. they have to decentralize ... nah .. do it the easy way .. their grandkids can worry about that when all the yellowcake is used up.

How is it a time bomb? The last time I checked nuclear power was the safest and cleanest power available.

"safest and cleanest power available" ??!? You either work within the nuclear industry (so anti-nuke rhetoric threatens your livelihood) or you're a nutcase. Maybe you're trying to be funny, if so, excuse my serious response.

Also, a hard on for nuclear weapons could be a factor. Sure, EGAT and the Thai gov't would deny it vehemently, but in their heart of hearts, wouldn't Thai brass like to have the most powerful weapons on the planet? Pakistan, India and other emerging nuke powers never publicly declared their desire for nuke weapons before they acquired them, did they? Indeed, if asked before their respective declarations, each would have taken umbrage to the question.

If Burma or Cambodia got nuke weapons - you can bet your bomb shelter blueprints that Thailand would feel compelled to have them also. Burma is likely talking with N.Korea about such things.

There's not a big jump between processing nuclear fuel in a reactor, to further processing it to weapons grade. Thailand got an aircraft carrier, why not get mightier weapons bye and bye?

Being an Aussie .. my main fear of the use of nuclear power is the fact that Australia has one of the largest deposits of yellow-cake.

America has a history of "helping" countries with large oil deposits. Myanmar has no oil .. that's why America hasn't "helped" them with their despotic insane government.

When yellow-cake starts getting scarce .. will America hit the shores of Sydney in force to "help" us too? .. From what I can't imagine .. but I'm sure they will think of something.

Being an Aussie .. my main fear of the use of nuclear power is the fact that Australia has one of the largest deposits of yellow-cake. America has a history of "helping" countries with large oil deposits. Myanmar has no oil .. that's why America hasn't "helped" them with their despotic insane government. When yellow-cake starts getting scarce .. will America hit the shores of Sydney in force to "help" us too? .. From what I can't imagine .. but I'm sure they will think of something.

If you want to be an Aussie worry wort, be more concerned about the Chinese dragon than Uncle Sam. Americans have always been good friends with Aussies. China has 11 running nuclear power plants, with 24 more planned or under construction.

However, the issue of 'yellowcake' in regard to nuclear power plants is important. Most countries with N.power plants rely on the stuff coming from far away. You can bet the richer, more powerful countries will be at the front of the queue when it gets scarce or expensive. Mining and rendering yellowcake in to usable Uranium is a multi-faceted & specialized process. That, and the gravity of getting it safely transported to overseas plants leaves a lot of possibilities for glitches or worse. If any one part of the long convoluted process is faulty, then delays and price hikes come in to play. One of the two Aussie mines had a processing problem two years ago.

* * * * * * * * The power source for solar is free * * * * * * * *

Plus, I have solar working to pump water, and it pumps quite well even on overcast days (another myth by the solar naysayers busted). And anyone who says solar can't be stored, really needs to read up on the subject.

Edited by brahmburgers

Just to let you know this doesn't just happen in Thailand, but I have seen this the good ole USA. I did a project (for a big company I will not mentions the name) in the US, we had an alarm for when the fill tank was at low level, well they had us install an additional horn in the break room this did not fix anything they cut the wire to the horn in the break room. They have the "who cares" attitude because they belonged to a union. This was about 15 years ago, so Im sure it doesn't happen in the USA anymore..or does it. I have made several comments on this subject on this thread, how I believe Nuclear power is a good alternative to coal power, I just don't believe Thailand can really build and operate a safe plant, not saying that Thai's are not good engineer's and that construction in Thailand cant be good, as I have met many very good Thai engineer's I just believe that their is too much corruption with government projects for a project this big to be done properly. (EGAT is a state owned company for anyone to say this is not a government project) In any case it does not matter what we have to say, it appears the power to be have already made up their mind to do this.

How is it a time bomb? The last time I checked nuclear power was the safest and cleanest power available.

"safest and cleanest power available" ??!? You either work within the nuclear industry (so anti-nuke rhetoric threatens your livelihood) or you're a nutcase. Maybe you're trying to be funny, if so, excuse my serious response.

Also, a hard on for nuclear weapons could be a factor. Sure, EGAT and the Thai gov't would deny it vehemently, but in their heart of hearts, wouldn't Thai brass like to have the most powerful weapons on the planet? Pakistan, India and other emerging nuke powers never publicly declared their desire for nuke weapons before they acquired them, did they? Indeed, if asked before their respective declarations, each would have taken umbrage to the question.

If Burma or Cambodia got nuke weapons - you can bet your bomb shelter blueprints that Thailand would feel compelled to have them also. Burma is likely talking with N.Korea about such things.

There's not a big jump between processing nuclear fuel in a reactor, to further processing it to weapons grade. Thailand got an aircraft carrier, why not get mightier weapons bye and bye?

Where did you get the information that Burma and N Korea are talking about Nuclear weapons? or are you just talking out your a..

B*llshit....its a massive jump from commerical reactor fuel to weapons grade material.

I cite North Korean's attempts.....no "big bang" as yet.....more of a fizzle... :)

Iran's attempts have gone no where - political propaganda from the Iranian's, scare-mongering by US/Israel