New Mazda 2 Vs. Mazda 3

ChiangMaiFun

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not that sure how much weight I would put on a review from the Bangkok post.

I have ridden in both the 2 ^& the 3 & felt that the 2 was definately very small, felt even smaller than yaris, however Im yet to drive, so I shall refrain from making other comments.

• 1 month later...

One notable difference between the Mazda 2 and other competitors (such as the Yaris and Jazz) is the fact that Mazda has left the heater in the Thai version of the car manufactured here. Jazz and Yaris do not have heaters.

Heaters have benefits beyond just heating the interior during cold weather, and can benefit drivers in all parts of Thailand. While heating the interior should be of interest to drivers in the northern and northeastern provinces because of cooler weather on occasion (especially at night), the heater also provides more options for:

• Using the defroster when the air is near saturation and the windshield is fogging up. Although the A/C usually resolves this, in some cases the A/C chills the glass enough to cause condensation on the outside [Coke can effect] requiring frequent use of the wipers. Having a little heat to add to the mix solves this problem.
  • Controlling the interior temperature on longer drives. Air conditioners are (by nature) difficult to regulate, and once the interior has cooled down when you're on the highway for a while, backing off the A/C on a car with no heater sometimes has little effect. On a car with a heater, engine heat is added to the mix when the dial is taken off the "full cold" position, and it becomes a much better way to adjust the cabin temperature when it's a little too cold inside, but A/C is still needed. I get cold sometimes on longer drives, and I'm sure my Thai friends riding with me must be freezing.

Yaris is just about to be replaced with a new updated model....... Sure I read somewhere the New Yaris next-generation is due 2010/11

The Jazz has already been replaced mid 2008 and the Mazda 2 is a new model + the Ford Fiesta will be out in a few weeks

Edit: the Jazz is due to be updated in 2014

Edited by ignis

We've had a Honda Jazz for 5 years now and havent really had a problem with it.....a good reliable car.

We are thinking of changing it so have three options.

1.Another Honda Jazz.....no complaints about it but fancy a change.

2.Toyota Yaris....although very popular in Thailand Toyotas are overrated in my opinion.A good steady car but no "wow" factor.

They look OK but nothing special....also a bit overpriced.

3.Mazda 2.....I test drove one yesterday.Very nice looking car.It is a bit smaller than the Jazz but not uncomfortably so.A smooth ride,nice interior and I would say the car is more solid than the Jazz.

Mazda 3 saloon is a bit dated now but in the same price range.Mazda 3 hatchback is nice but just a little bit pricey starting at 799,000 baht.

So for me its the Mazda 2.The wife likes it but is a bit against buying a Mazda as they dont hold their value in Thailand like Toyota or Honda.....but maybe this new model Mazda 2 just might ??

I'm sure I can talk her around with the promise of a short break in Singapore with Orchard Road later in the year ! :)

Mazda 3 saloon is a bit dated now but in the same price range.Mazda 3 hatchback is nice but just a little bit pricey starting at 799,000 baht.

???? The Mazda 3 is brand new + the price start at 755,000 baht with Free Insurance + 3-year/100,000 km warrantee + 3-year/100,000 km free maintenance

post-42643-1264117362_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are looking at the Mazda 2 as well.

I am drawn both by the styling and the fuel efficiency aspects.

I know the Honda Jazz is probably slightly more generous in space, but I have to admit, I like the design of the 2 alot more!!

My girlfriend likes the fact that they are not as common as the Jazz and Yaris etc, which seem to be every where!

We have a 1 month old baby and safety is definitely a factor driving on the roads here in Bangkok and beyond.

Internationally the car scored 5 stars in the EURO NCAP safety tests.

I'm interested why here in Thailand though they only have 2 airbags though??

I test drove the Mazda 3 a couple of years back and was impressed by its handling and on road grip.

I have read in reputable reviews that the Mazda 2 has if not better on road feel.

Any one else have any thoughts?

???? The Mazda 3 is brand new + the price start at 755,000 baht with Free Insurance + 3-year/100,000 km warrantee + 3-year/100,000 km free maintenance

The one in the picture is the model most countries got in 2008-9, however that shape will not be available in Thailand until 2011. The "new" Mazda 3 in Thailand is nothing more than a minor change to what's now a very aged model.

More info here

1) Safety doesn't sell cars here, and 2) Because of #1, adding the standard Western quota of airbags and other safety features such as traction/stability control would simply price them out of the market. Sad that they're not even available as a cost-option I do admit - that alone goes to show you how much the average Thai motorist cares about it.

If you can hold off your decision for a month or three, the new Ford Fiesta should also probably be on your short-list. It would have to be the most awarded B-segment car in memory, so must be doing something (or most things) right..

1) Safety doesn't sell cars here, and 2) Because of #1, adding the standard Western quota of airbags and other safety features such as traction/stability control would simply price them out of the market. Sad that they're not even available as a cost-option I do admit - that alone goes to show you how much the average Thai motorist cares about it.

I agree with you there! Must be why we see so many SUV's getting around bangkok. You can fit upwards of 10 people in one and cheap as chips.

If you can hold off your decision for a month or three, the new Ford Fiesta should also probably be on your short-list. It would have to be the most awarded B-segment car in memory, so must be doing something (or most things) right..

I would love to get the Fiesta, such a great little car.

But WHEN!! and IF it comes to Thailand? What will be the engine specs on the Thai release? What will be the pricing? No doubt higher than the Mazda 2. I just cant get any solid info. Argh the pain and frustration! :)

We are moving out of Bangkok next month for work and will be needing some wheels pretty soon.

Maybe I can hold off and hire a car for a while ...hmmmmm options.

I agree with you there! Must be why we see so many SUV's getting around bangkok. You can fit upwards of 10 people in one and cheap as chips.

But WHEN!! and IF it comes to Thailand? What will be the engine specs on the Thai release? What will be the pricing? No doubt higher than the Mazda 2. I just cant get any solid info. Argh the pain and frustration! :)

We are moving out of Bangkok next month for work and will be needing some wheels pretty soon.

There's a bit more updated info on www.ford.co.th. Nothing solid about release dates, specs and pricers yet though. Looks like a nice car with nicer interior than the mazda 2. In top spec with the twin clutch trans and 120 hp (or is it 119hp) engine it should be a nice car. I wouldn't be surprised if we are short changed again and get a lousy 4 speed auto though.

Expect the first examples of the Thai built Fiesta in dealerships this month, with broader availability expected in June. Prices have not been announced yet, but Ford have hinted more than a few times that 550k-700K is where it'll end up.

Information on the models and grades available is scarce, but Ford Thailand have confirmed that there will be models with the 1.6L petrol engine, the "Powershift" twin-clutch transmission (the first Fiesta's in the world with this), and for once, all of the cool electronics of their Western counterparts (Bluetooth, iPod compat, voice control etc).

As a footnote, the Thai Fiesta is made in the same plant as the Mazda 2 (Auto Alliance), so it stands to reason that they'll both share similar economics..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Expect the first examples of the Thai built Fiesta in dealerships this month, with broader availability expected in June. Prices have not been announced yet, but Ford have hinted more than a few times that 550k-700K is where it'll end up.

Information on the models and grades available is scarce, but Ford Thailand have confirmed that there will be models with the 1.6L petrol engine, the "Powershift" twin-clutch transmission (the first Fiesta's in the world with this), and for once, all of the cool electronics of their Western counterparts (Bluetooth, iPod compat, voice control etc).

As a footnote, the Thai Fiesta is made in the same plant as the Mazda 2 (Auto Alliance), so it stands to reason that they'll both share similar economics..

I wonder if, being a ford, they second hand prices will be very low. I guess it depends on how popular here it is. But I can just imagine sales will be slow (even though it will probably be a better car) when compared to honda / toyota. I'll certainly be looking at the top modl and compare that to a jazz / city. I really do hope, for fords sake, its a much better can than either of these. The powershift is already the best 'box on the market, and the handling should also be best in its class.

June you say? A little bit longer into the year than I was hoping.

But the prospect of DSG is promising, and for around 700,000 Baht is not bad considering the top of the line Mazda 2 sells for just under 700,000.

Anyway, given the countries current political climate, I might just stay home and watch the news for a while. :)

Hi all.

Just picked up my brand spanking new Mazda 3 sports 2 litre hatchback. It was assembled in the Phillapeens ( sorry for spelling) The Mazda 2 is assembled in Thailand.

The Mazda 3 2 Litre goes like a rocket and has 6 airbags. Hold the road well and has great seats for the long drive. I am very happy with it. :)

Hi all.

Just picked up my brand spanking new Mazda 3 sports 2 litre hatchback. It was assembled in the Phillapeens ( sorry for spelling) The Mazda 2 is assembled in Thailand.

The Mazda 3 2 Litre goes like a rocket and has 6 airbags. Hold the road well and has great seats for the long drive. I am very happy with it. :D

Hi Warriors, (NZ supporter? :D)

Yes I was tempted (still am :) )by the Mazda 3 sports they are a great little car, and look so nice on the road compared to the Toyboats and Hondas.

Such a classy car. I definitely would not get the 1.6 litre, way underpowered, everyone says the engine has to be worked hard to keep up the momentum and hard to return good mileage.

Got any plans for wheels /lowering or window tinting soon?

Let us know how it all goes! Would love to here more feedback on the 2 liter 3 (Fuel economy etc)

June you say? A little bit longer into the year than I was hoping.

But the prospect of DSG is promising, and for around 700,000 Baht is not bad considering the top of the line Mazda 2 sells for just under 700,000.

Anyway, given the countries current political climate, I might just stay home and watch the news for a while. :)

The latest news puts Fiesta deliveries back to August 2010 now, and that'll be for the early adopters that are prepared to place a booking in the next few days and wait 5 months for their car -that probably means general availability will be more like September/October 2010..

Hi.

I keep the tires supplied by the dealer Goodyear some people change them for a softer ride but I am told that it then does not seem to hold the road as good as when you have the Goodyears on. So I will keep what it came with. I was given a full tank of gas and at the moment it is still half full. Took it for a spin from Bangsang to Phattaya was very pleased with it performance and road holding. It is not as hard a ride as some make out. Took it on the road works on the road to Phattaya and it handled it easy.

I love the seats in it and sun roof and well every thing. It is very peppy and can get you out of problems that other drivers creat on the Thai roads. It has heaps of safety aspects that I keep finding. In the end Love it.

GO THE AUCKLAND WARRIORS :)

Saw the latest Ford Fiesta in Chonburi today, the first I have seen, anyway. Nice looking hatchback, much better than the Yaris/ Jazz. Red plate, meaning they're available somewhere in Chonburi for those interested. :)

There's been a few examples floating around as demonstrators since December 2009, but there's definitely no way to own one yet I'm afraid. The one you saw was probably this:

The official unveling happens later today, and Ford dealers will now start taking deposits from those who are willing to wait 5 months for delivery (!)

It's definitely a very compelling package when compared with the Yaris, Jazz and the 2.. It has a larger engine (1.6L in the higher models) which well outforms what it's paper specs suggest, a 6-speed powershift dual-clutch transmission, Electronic stability control (a first in this segment), class-leading ride quality and handling, plus a swathe of cool gadetry such as USB, Bluetooth and voice control - all wrapped up in a stylish body. The only real compromise is it's interior versatility which lags well behind the Jazz and Yaris.

But until Ford invest a whole lot of money improving their brand image in Thailand, it won't achieve the kind of sales success it's achieving in other markets and it's resale value will remain a sore point for those who factor in total cost of ownership..

Hmmm its 600,000 baht in Aus, drive away. Nice looking car, the show Top Gear rated the quality as better than BMW.

Saw the latest Ford Fiesta in Chonburi today, the first I have seen, anyway. Nice looking hatchback, much better than the Yaris/ Jazz. Red plate, meaning they're available somewhere in Chonburi for those interested. :)

There's been a few examples floating around as demonstrators since December 2009, but there's definitely no way to own one yet I'm afraid. The one you saw was probably this:

The official unveling happens later today, and Ford dealers will now start taking deposits from those who are willing to wait 5 months for delivery (!)

It's definitely a very compelling package when compared with the Yaris, Jazz and the 2.. It has a larger engine (1.6L in the higher models) which well outforms what it's paper specs suggest, a 6-speed powershift dual-clutch transmission, Electronic stability control (a first in this segment), class-leading ride quality and handling, plus a swathe of cool gadetry such as USB, Bluetooth and voice control - all wrapped up in a stylish body. The only real compromise is it's interior versatility which lags well behind the Jazz and Yaris.

But until Ford invest a whole lot of money improving their brand image in Thailand, it won't achieve the kind of sales success it's achieving in other markets and it's resale value will remain a sore point for those who factor in total cost of ownership..

can you post the specs and pricing when you get them? It seems pitched at the altis / mazda 3 and other 1.6 units, or maybe I'm wrong. That would push the price well over 700K. If it's priced in the jazz/yaris price range it should be a winner.Yes the marketing here by ford sucks. This IS the car worth marketing, having won many awards overseas. Surprised at the Motor show though, the one I saw had rear drums.

I was looking at the Mazda 3 but was a little concerned about poor fuel economy. I found that Ford is selling the Focus model here in Thailand. If you go to the Ford WEB site in Thailand, they have information on all the Ford Focus models they are selling in Thailand along with prices. You can even download brochures.

The model that catches my eye is the Focus TDCI which is the diesel version. It gets excellent fuel economy. I have been looking for a small diesel vehicle in Thailand but they are very hard to come by.

A family down my Soi has a new Focus and it looks similar to the Mazda 3 (about the same size) but definitely has the "Ford" look that tones things down. It is not really a sporty looking car.

If anyone has driven or bought the Ford Focus TDCI, I would like to know your impressions.

I was looking at the Mazda 3 but was a little concerned about poor fuel economy. I found that Ford is selling the Focus model here in Thailand. If you go to the Ford WEB site in Thailand, they have information on all the Ford Focus models they are selling in Thailand along with prices. You can even download brochures.

The model that catches my eye is the Focus TDCI which is the diesel version. It gets excellent fuel economy. I have been looking for a small diesel vehicle in Thailand but they are very hard to come by.

A family down my Soi has a new Focus and it looks similar to the Mazda 3 (about the same size) but definitely has the "Ford" look that tones things down. It is not really a sporty looking car.

If anyone has driven or bought the Ford Focus TDCI, I would like to know your impressions.

Was back in UK last year and hired a 2009 1.6 TDCi and was very impressed with it all round. Great handling and plenty of poke if needed. It was a manual (my personal preference) so not quite the same as what you'd be able to get here as I think they are selling just with the new Powershift transmission (dual clutch) and with a 2 litre engine but I am sure a lovely car. It would be my choice.

Hmmm its 600,000 baht in Aus, drive away. Nice looking car, the show Top Gear rated the quality as better than BMW.

I was seriously looking purchasing at the current Mazda 3, but after hearing about the new(current to everywhere else in the world :) ) will be seriously thinking of holding off till the newer model is released finally.

I know in some ways I prefer the older shape, I'm just concerned the launch of a newer modern design will harm resale value.

Still need a car until then...hmmmmm. Maybe a low km 2007-2008 M3 2.0Lt Sport Baht 600,000-700,000 :D