Honda Phantom 200cc

RogueExpat

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has bought the Honda Phantom 200cc and would care to make a critique of it?

Just after a bike to ride around the coutry town where I live, not really after something for long touring trips, and would prefer a little more than a scooter or step through type.

KTB leasing is offering them at 87,200B, no down, interest @ 10.6% pa. Is this 87,200B the normal price, or has the leasing company put th price up?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :)

I have a 2005 Honda Phantom with 8,500 km on the clock which I believe is pretty much genuine.

Mine vibrates a bit and I did post about it on a thread several months ago but mine is ane that does vibrate a little and others do not.

Knocking around town I get about 30 km/l and on a run up to 37km/l.

The KTB price is about right though for that you just get the bike with frilly bits such as crash bars, panniers etc but they are a good bike. I have had mine about 5 months and if I got a good offer I would trade it in for something a bit bigger but if not I am quite happy with it.

It is a bit heavy but overall I am very happy with it and would only trade up if I got a good price otherwise I would keep it.

Personally I would wait a few months, Honda CEO announced at the beginning of this year that Honda will not sell any carburetor motorcycles in Thailand. The Honda Phantom TA200 is a carburetor motorcycle, so it would get a serious Fuel-Injection update or will be at the end of its production cycle...

For 2010 Honda will move all 250cc class motorcycle production from Japan to Thailand, so it is likely that the 200cc Honda Phantom is being replaced by a bigger model... (Honda see's all 223cc to 249.9cc in the 250cc classification)

I agree, the Honda Phantom is reliable, with some exceptions of 2005/2006 models, but currently I have the idea that buying a new one would be not the best decision... Enough good secondhand, it is not that many of the Honda Phantom riders race or ride hard on it... So a good secondhand is currently a better choice over a new one.

Also not buy a Honda Phantom without having looked at the Tiger Boxer 250 RS. I say this because you said that "you would prefer a little more than a scooter or step through type" as most 125 scooters or steep-through's are faster then the Honda Phantom TA200....

* the 2005/2006 models had some problems with the cylinder valve chain tensioner.... (nothing serious, any Thai mechanic could replace that in 30 minutes to 1 hour)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Mine was very reliable during the nearly 3 years I had it.

Finish was very good and the only thing I had to replace was a dead battery.

My only complaint was the riding position really. Too much weight on my bum that got uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes.

Oh and the power is lacking too but can't really blame the bike for that being only 200 cc.

I've had one for 4 years, bought new for 87,000 baht, now has 28,000 km. It's been very reliable and cost effective,

have only replaced the chain and on second set of tires. It's even been through an accident when a pickup truck turned into me.

I enjoy the 190 km ride to Pattaya, which I can do in about 2.5 hours, speed tops out around 135 kph.

I've had a Phantom for about three years (10,000 kls) and it's been problem free. Adequate power for tooling around town. The price you quote looks about right, and the bike has appeared to maintain its value (all ads I've seen for second hand bikes have been in the 60,000 to 65,000 baht range). However, if you live in the Pattaya area, you might check out the advert board at Friendship Market (Pattaya Tai). Someone just posted an advert asking only 28,000 baht for what I believe is a 2006 or 2007 model. I have no idea why so cheap and don't remember any other details.

Edited by PaulDee

I've had a Phantom for about three years (10,000 kls) and it's been problem free. Adequate power for tooling around town. The price you quote looks about right, and the bike has appeared to maintain its value (all ads I've seen for second hand bikes have been in the 60,000 to 65,000 baht range). However, if you live in the Pattaya area, you might check out the advert board at Friendship Market (Pattaya Tai). Someone just posted an advert asking only 28,000 baht for what I believe is a 2006 or 2007 model. I have no idea why so cheap and don't remember any other details.

I just wish to post a thanks for the information, particularly on the prices of used bikes, and although I've been thinking of the 10,000-12,000 bracket as a minimal notion, it looks as though I might have around 30,000-40,000 to invest for a few months, as a same-same sort of replacement for the '89 Camry wagon I might have a buyer for.

I'll have a look over some of the classifieds mentioned and see if I can find a photo of the model of bike from five or eight years ago.

Thanks for reading my mind.

---o0o---

PS: My last bike was an Honda Wave 4-stroke 4-speed, and it was only two years old and looked very sophisticated pulling up at the border offices, but it vibrated like hel_l at 90km/h and seemed most comfortable on the cruise from Nonthaburi down to Hat Yai at around 95 on flat roat with no wind.

I'd hope to pick up something a bit more like the old '95 Suzuki 2-stroke I had in 2005, with a 5-speed box, although I wouldn't know if motosai gearboxes even have an overdrive fifth, or just a narrower ratio between the cogs. It might be that 2-stroke singles aren't such thumpers as the 4-strokes, but I appreciate the information already discussed in this thread on this vibration issue.

Edited by SeanMoran

I owned a 2007 model Honda Phantom until recently.

For it's size, it has quite a bit of power helped hugely by a six-speed gear box.

Good for short touring rides.

It was totally reliable however, it is heavy for it's size and has a strange low centre of gravity.

I eventually sold it in favour of the Yahama Nouvo my wife has and which is much more practical around town.

P.S. With 12000 KMS on the clock, I sold the Phantom for 65,000 Baht.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

I also have a 2007 Phantom from new, 18,000 trouble free Kms so far (touch wood), I used it for 100 km return commute to work. Been a sound investment for me. I replaced the footpegs with plates and a longer gear change lever, would highly recommend them as it gives you a chance to stretch your legs in comfort and adjust your riding position. The gear change is also more positive, sure she ain't the fastest or most powerful but is a comfortable cruiser.

Some people have had problems with the cam chain tensioner, if it fails then the valves meet the the piston just before TDC with predictable results. I get my local shop to check it on every service and will replace it at 25,000 Kms. Although I have plenty of tread left I will be replacing the tyres soon, has anyone got any recommendations?

All I've had to replace is the battery, happy trails

Chris

For 2010 Honda will move all 250cc class motorcycle production from Japan to Thailand, so it is likely that the 200cc Honda Phantom is being replaced by a bigger model... (Honda see's all 223cc to 249.9cc in the 250cc classification)

Does this include dirt bikes? Is there a chance the CFR250 would be available here for a reasonable price?

No CFR250 on the menu, but I hear some talks about the Honda XR230 it needs to be remarkable cheaper then the Kawasaki D-Tracker to make any sense to bring the XR230 on the market.

In Japan the XR230 is a good amount cheaper then the Kawasaki D-tracker, so if Honda starts producing this bikes in Thailand Honda would be able to take a good amount of the Enduro market. Also there is another player on the Thai market, Lifan has opened its sales office in Bangkok, and will start selling its motorcycles within a few weeks... We played with the Lifan LF200GY-5 and need to say... that some good products come out of China.

Had one of these for several years and did over 65,000 kms on it, all over Thailand and Malaysia.

Problems I had were

1. Rust, which showed up on the screw heads just a few days after buying the bike. Use lots of Sonax.

2. The big issue I had was the tensioner on the timing chain, as mentioned above. This failed at around 35,000 kms, and things were never the same since.

It is a long saga, but the first rebuild was some 10,000 Baht plus (from a large independent garage) and the second somewhat less, as it didn't fail entirely, the third another large expense (Honda this time). Then that tensioner failed again, and was replaced under guarantee.

As somebody above posted, replacing the tensioner at 25,000 kms is very advisable.

Prior to the third rebuild I really wanted Honda to replace the whole engine. But no, they said that Honda do not supply complete engines and so they have to be rebuilt in your local garage. And this is where all my problems began.....

I came out of Bangkok yesterday heading home via Aythhaya and just about 1 km before I turned up the route 32 on the left was a shop with about 9 second hand Phantoms for sale.

I have the GPS location and a photo of the shop if anyone is interested.

I have one now 2 years .A great bike .I think its a 2005 ,so i will be thinking of doing the tensioner as mentioned at 25,0000 K .

Its fast enough for me ,and with two disc brakes has great stopping power .The wheels are solid and strong and the tyres nice and wide for such a small bike.

Have travelled to Ko Chang on it ,and the seat was comfortable .