Toyota Vigo And Sharp Turns?

pianoman

Have owned my Toyota Vigo "Prerunner" for almost a year now and finally getting around to asking other's about this...

Whenever I make a slightly sharp turn it seems like my tires are slipping / sequel-ling on the pavement... I had my wife ask at the Toyota Dealer during our first Scheduled Service and she was told "No Problem"... Now I wonder if it is the typical "Thai" "No Problem", or if it is normal for this model of truck...

Pianoman

I've got the 2wd Vigo 4-door, not the prerunner. Whenever I've had to do some panic flip-flops at me at speed (dog or scooter coming out at you), even with an empty box, not squealing, and stable. I've seen the Norwegian (Swedish?) video on the instability of Vigos at high-speed turns, but that's not what happens with mine. Overinflation? Quite possibly. Maybe different brand of tyres, a different set of tyres might be more sticky.

yes I've noticed the same thing. Even at low speeds in the driveway. Never happens with any of the other vehicle. :)

Another thing I noticed that surprised the hel_l out of me is that in the rain while doing 100k down the road in a straight line if you hit the accelerator you can get the back wheels to spin out. Alway use four wheel drive in the rain. :D

Also the Vego failed the "moose test" miserable (check you tube) which is a serious concern. :D However in all fairness it appears on some of the newer 2009 models (top line range) they have addressed this issue. :D

The lemon Toyota 4X4 that I had was dangerous turning corners on wet roads and on dry roads, the rear tires would squeal loudly. The limited slip rear differential apparently had problems. It appeared that there was NO limited slip, just a lock up.

I've got the top of the line Vigo auto-trans with Michelin tires. At low speed in parking garages and u-turns, like at the airport intersection to go to Makro, I get that squeal. It seems to be the angle of the tire, on somewhat slick surfaces when making a very tight turn, that causes that sound for me. I have noticed it on other vehicles I have owned in Thailand so don't consider it a problem. For me it is not a tire inflation issue.

Edited by villagefarang

To compare LOS 2009/2010 Vigo with the Vigo failed moose test couple years back is nonsense. Different wheels, brakes and suspension. Not to mention ESP/VSC/stabilitycontrol now standard.

The rear diff brake in combinaion with inexpensive natural rubber tyres aging quickly (like all pickups in LOS) made my 2004 and 2006 Vigo 3,0 4x4 auto tyre-scream a lot.

Took delivery on a 2010 Vigo 3,0 4x4 auto 10 days ago, and tyres are now more quiet than my 2008 Accord.

Yes sometimes have the squeal on a sharp U-turn, usually a sign of incorrect tyre pressures. Thai dealerships that I have dealt with seem to think the operating pressure is between 35-50psi. I was told by a maintenance superviser 35psi was the correct pressure. Funny old thing I then found a decal on the drivers door pillar quoting 29 psi all round for normal unladen, 35 psi rear for fully laden. Every time I go for a service I check tyre pressure and invariably always overinflated.

Yes sometimes have the squeal on a sharp U-turn, usually a sign of incorrect tyre pressures. Thai dealerships that I have dealt with seem to think the operating pressure is between 35-50psi. I was told by a maintenance superviser 35psi was the correct pressure. Funny old thing I then found a decal on the drivers door pillar quoting 29 psi all round for normal unladen, 35 psi rear for fully laden. Every time I go for a service I check tyre pressure and invariably always overinflated.

Thai garages always overinflate tyres.

Vigos leave factory with storage pressure, 45 psi, to avoid squared tyre if vehicle stored for months. This is supposed to be adjusted to correct pressure, 29psi, by dealer on delivery service. Never been on my 4 new trucks. and after every service I have to check pressure, usually too high.

I never go over 30psi but get that squeal on U-turns. I have considered that it could be oil on the roads or parking garages. Perhaps even something to do with chemicals used at Poli-chem to make your truck and tires shine. Just a thought.

I often hear many cars tyres squeal as they go up the car park at the Mall. However my car never does this. I thought this might be due to my old tyres, but then I replaced them with new ones, and still no squealing. However they are low profile (45 series) and I am guessing that there is less flex in the side wall - as the wheel turns the tyre turns the exactly the same angle. The taller side wall might contribute the the flex, in combination with changes in the suspension geometry upon turns (and possiby the surgace of the road). I cant think of any other reason! Either way I don't think its much to worry about.

Some funny answers ^^...

Over-inflated tyres = it's not hard to do this yourself, you know.

Melting tarmac from the heat, and driving on hot tarmac increases the pressure even more.

By a normal car, how much stuff do you carry in the back?

Edited by FlatOut

Alway use four wheel drive in the rain. :)

Hard to do if you bought a Prerunner.

Not only the moose test but the anti-lock brakes are <deleted> too! :D The anti-lock function works OK as you can put your foot through the floor and they won't lock up but it takes forever to stop the vehicle! :D Toyota Thailand seems to have addressed these issues in the latest version however it appears only in the high end range 4x4. ..?

The Prerunner seems to be the same as before with exception to some small details it will most likely still fail the moose test and I believe Toyota Thailand is aware of that fact. :D

Mine did it, I just changed the tyres (90k) from original dueller ht's to michelin cross terrain and now doesn't do it. As the tyres get older they get harder and they will squeal. i wouldn't worry about it but i did notice the old duellers were getting slippery in the wet.

Alway use four wheel drive in the rain. :)

Hard to do if you bought a Prerunner.

Not only the moose test but the anti-lock brakes are <deleted> too! :D The anti-lock function works OK as you can put your foot through the floor and they won't lock up but it takes forever to stop the vehicle! :D Toyota Thailand seems to have addressed these issues in the latest version however it appears only in the high end range 4x4. ..?

The Prerunner seems to be the same as before with exception to some small details it will most likely still fail the moose test and I believe Toyota Thailand is aware of that fact. :D

According to german TUV Vigo and navara have the best brakes with ABS, compared with other similar pickups. Isu/chevy the worst.

All Vigos since november 2009 have new suspension, brakes, rims and tyres compared to the one failing moose test few years ago.

i just took delivery on a 2010 Vigo 3,0 4x4 auto 4 door, and there are huge improvements in steering, handling, suspensioncomfort and noiselevel over my 2006 similar model

Mine did it, I just changed the tyres (90k) from original dueller ht's to michelin cross terrain and now doesn't do it. As the tyres get older they get harder and they will squeal. i wouldn't worry about it but i did notice the old duellers were getting slippery in the wet.

Mine came new with Michelin Cross Terrain tyres fitted as standard.

Mine came new with Michelin Cross Terrain tyres fitted as standard.

And we both know why,Jack! :)

It is very common for Thai mechanics(I say that very losely) to overinflate tyres. They think you save on petrol (& <deleted> the safety element). My truck when new, was delivered with 50psi despite the manual&door jamb details saying 2 different lesser values

Dave

Your prob sounds like limited slip diff lock up, which means when you make a turn both rear wheels want to push the truck forward turning at the same speed instead of letting both rear wheels turn at different speeds, thus front tyres squeal under the forward push. Could be a problem or when you get a few miles on it it will ease up. My 4x4 when in 4 wheel drive is a nightmare when turning corners, limited slip is so powerful that the wheels drag as if locked up and squeal.

Check tyre ware on the outside or inside of the tread, if bad it shows the tracking is out, this will make tyre noises if out a lot.

l find my Vigo's steering heavy for parking etc, perhaps the extra weight of the auto trans and 4 wheel drive mechanicals. They recommend 29psi all round but l put 35psi in the front which has solved the problem although the centre tyre tread might ware early. With this tyre 35 psi setting there is no tyre squeal in 2 wheel drive.

4 wheel drive in the rainy season is magic, on a Vigo, well worth the extra expense. Traction is the nuts. Even without it l have no problems with stability with the 2007 truck. l fitted a lid on the rear which stops the tail gate acting as a brake and stops the truck being affected by any cross winds. The lid transforms the ride and smoothness of handling at speed, recommended.

Increasing tyre pressure with as much as 20% can reduce tyre squeal simply due to reduced traction. It alo increases braking distance rather much. Worst of all is to do this on only frontwheels. Understeer increases and shift from understeer to oversteer becomes extremely quick. Certain moosetest disaster. Ready to flip?

Edit 2010 Vigo comes with larger brakes, new suspension, lighter steering and much better tyres for on road driving

Edited by katabeachbum

Honestly some of the answers here....some of you deserve to be in a ditch. Which, funnily enough, your 4x4 migth be able to drag you out of, although that would be the only time it would be needed.

If you over inflate your tyres, in this heat and running a hugely overweight tank on melting tarmac, will increase the pressure even more. Racing cars run very low tyre pressures as it increases when the are 'up to temperature'. Old, hardened tyres will put you into the back of another pick up. Well done.

Your tyres are the only thing keeping your tank on the road. Think of it as a marathon runner wearing high heels. Not only do you look a plonker, you will cause damage to yourself.

I mean this insincerely, chok dee. If I'm on my bike and one of you smash into the back of me at the lights, I doubt I'd be so calm as to say "I told you so".

Your prob sounds like limited slip diff lock up, which means when you make a turn both rear wheels want to push the truck forward turning at the same speed instead of letting both rear wheels turn at different speeds, thus front tyres squeal under the forward push. Could be a problem or when you get a few miles on it it will ease up. My 4x4 when in 4 wheel drive is a nightmare when turning corners, limited slip is so powerful that the wheels drag as if locked up and squeal.

Check tyre ware on the outside or inside of the tread, if bad it shows the tracking is out, this will make tyre noises if out a lot.

l find my Vigo's steering heavy for parking etc, perhaps the extra weight of the auto trans and 4 wheel drive mechanicals. They recommend 29psi all round but l put 35psi in the front which has solved the problem although the centre tyre tread might ware early. With this tyre 35 psi setting there is no tyre squeal in 2 wheel drive.

4 wheel drive in the rainy season is magic, on a Vigo, well worth the extra expense. Traction is the nuts. Even without it l have no problems with stability with the 2007 truck. l fitted a lid on the rear which stops the tail gate acting as a brake and stops the truck being affected by any cross winds. The lid transforms the ride and smoothness of handling at speed, recommended.

Increasing tyre pressure with as much as 20% can reduce tyre squeal simply due to reduced traction. It alo increases braking distance rather much. Worst of all is to do this on only frontwheels. Understeer increases and shift from understeer to oversteer becomes extremely quick. Certain moosetest disaster. Ready to flip?

Edit 2010 Vigo comes with larger brakes, new suspension, lighter steering and much better tyres for on road driving

Disagree, sounds OK on paper but every vehicle is different, my truck runs round bends at speed as if on rails, steering has no under or over steer. with my experiments with handling and tyre pressures. l had more problems with the 29psi at speed.

Forgot, why do front wheel drive cars have higher pressure in the front tyres, because of the extra weight at the front.

yes we disagree.

Car designers calculate optimal tyre pressure, and then the manfactorer spend some years and million of kms to adjust it (among other adjustments and improvements). i used to work for one of them.

Im on my third Vigo 4x4 3,0 auto 4 door, previous ones 2004 and 2006, and they absolutely run best on 29/29 psi when loaded with not more than 600kg.

Front engined cars have increased spring rates(suspension) for the added weight of an engine. Not tyre pressures.

As katabeachbum said, car manufacturers do spend some time working this out, they don't just sell vehicles and expect you to figure it out /ruin it yourself.