Urgent Request For O+ Blood Donors

mike1963

Just been and given a pint. People donating need to ask for the blood bank otherwise get sent to pathology who get very confused by it all.

Pathology phoned the doctor who said "the liver transplant might not be effective" and now there is not such an urgent need for blood for this patient as the transplant might not go ahead. He said could still donate the blood but if not needed for this patient suggested donors give approval for the blood to be used for other patients.

From the way he was talking it wasn't sounding good for this little girl.

Prayers for her and family.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm O+, but I gave blood just two weeks ago, so I can't help out this time.

I would encourage people to give blood regularly. The procedure is fairly quick and painless and doesn't really have any downsides for the donor (although people who are anemic or have low blood pressure are sometimes turned down). For big fellows with highish blood pressure (like myself!) giving blood can actually be of benefit to yourself. :)

The Thai Red Cross headquarters is near Lumpini Park and is fairly close to both Skytrain & Subway stations. They also visit other locations, so you can give blood in an area more convenient to you once a year.

Red Cross Thailand

This girl is real and needs help. The hospital is not exactly close to the victory monument and is a motorcycle or taxi ride away(going west) over to Rama 6 road then on the south west side of the street. If you want to drive there is parking. No matter what your blood type if you have the desire to help then go to a hospital that will accept you or give to the Red Cross, someone will use your blood even if it is not this little girl. There is sometimes a blood fair at CP tower and various other places around BKK as well.

Blood is desperately needed in Thailand. I found this out after being in a bad situation and requirng blood myself only to find they did not have my group (O+) which is supposedly common here. I don't think many Thai people are aware of the need to give blood. It is something that could be promoted by the government quite easily. I wonder why it is not? perhaps a lack of political or financial gain by doing such a thing. I will be trying to make people aware in my place of work over the coming months maybe you could do the same in your place of work and we can make a difference.

I would be interested to know of the safety guards in place for blood donations and transfusions. Is blood screened thoroughly?

I will wait until I hear more details on whether or not people from the island of mad cow disease can donate blood before I go to donate. In all likelyhood it seems a very low risk, perhaps much lower than those people who have HIV but do not test positive when donating blood due to the 3 month window.

O rh Negative is the universal donor.

Because there are no antibodies; as in O+ having those antibodies.

O rh+ can give to anyone EXCEPT O rh -

O rh - can give to anyone, but can get blood from ONLY O rh - people.

I know this because that is the case for myself and the wife.

And I researched it for answers, many sites explain this in detail.

So do a search and verify for yourselves., as I did.

I was donating blood on a regular basis at the Red Cross Blood Centre next to Lumpini Park up until three months ago. I too was asked to complete a new form, the question came up about living in the UK, during the 80's and I was rejected and asked not to return.

My wife asked why I couldn't continue to give blood in Thailand and they explained that I am now a 'Mad Cow' risk.

I'd be quite happy to pay for test to prove I'm not and continue giving blood in Thailand if that's how it works and after reading this post, I'm going back to the Red Cross to ask them if this is possible as soon as I get back in 8 days times.

If people are at risk of losing their lives due to lack of Blood, I'm angry they system won't allow me to do my part. Good luck to the little girl and to all that are trying to get well again.

I will post the outcome of re-approaching the Red Cross in just over a weeks time.

Finished not long ago donating at the hospital. I'm a Brit and said yes to their question about having stayed in the UK for more than 6 months since 1982 and they accepted my blood happily so this does not seem to be an issue for them.

Martin