3 Days Overstay And Border Run Planned Tomorrow - What To Do?

hey guys,

i am in trouble. I have a Non Immigrant O visa with multiple entry permission.

i was thinking that my visa expires on the 16th of november, but it did already expire on the 13th of November.

I was plannin to go to the cambodian border tomorrow morning, but now I see that I will have an overstay of 3 days when arriving there.

I went to the hospital on the 13th, because I had an accident and have problems with my right wrist. THe doctor said not to move my hand to much. Therefore I can´t drive anyway and let somebody drive me tomorrow. probably I have to tell the immigration officer this scenario at the border

I don´t know what to do now.

I read that I can pay the overstay fee of Bht 500,- for each day directly at the border and not getting in contact with the police on my way to the border.

But is it possible to pay the overstay fee before going to the border to prevent any problems? I am located in Pattaya.

Is there anything like that where I can do that locally and after paying going to the border or is the only way to go to the border?

Hope you can help me out. I am a bit nervous. It is my first time that I overstayed.

Kindly regards

Edited by atelko

Normally you can pay the overstay fine at an immigration office, but in that case it is advisable that you can show a ticket out of the country. Immigration can detain you till you have a ticket out of the country.

If you cannot travel, you can get an extension of stay based on medical grounds, but you would need to show proof that you cannot travel. A note from a doctor will do, but immigration can decide to have their own doctor have a look at you. Your right wrist doesn't mean you can't travel. It might mean that you needed medical treatment and couldn't travel for a few days because you needed to visit the doctor.

You can try to pay before you go or just go to the border. Another option is to go to immigration with a note from the doctor and ask for a 7 day extension (you will have to pay overstay as well).

All options have risks. Personally I don't think Pattaya immigration is going to detain you, but there are no guarantees.

If you can afford a cheap flight that is always the best option as almost never a problem paying at airport as you leave. I have not seen any recent reports of travel to border incidents but it is always a slight risk. But it is only three days so the consequences are unlikely to be anything but a minor fine and slap on the wrist under current policy.

People act like overstay is the end of the world when in all actuality it is a very common experience.

The best advice I have is when you go to the immigration admit you are on overstay, then they will send you and your passport to another person to pay the fine.

It is very simple.

I did the exact same thing once, got the dates wrong as overstay, went to Poi Pet, told the man at the counter I was on overstay, I went to another desk had a seat while they filled out the fine receipt, paid the fine, got the stamp and off I went.

It simply is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

People act like overstay is the end of the world when in all actuality it is a very common experience.

"It simply is not as big a deal as people make it out to be."

Really? Try telling that to someone who got picked up by the police before getting to Immigration HQ.

A very stupid statement!

Really? Try telling that to someone who got picked up by the police before getting to Immigration HQ.

A very stupid statement!

I know someone who overstayed 5 days, he listened to people saying 'pay at airport'. The day he left, he drove a rental car to the airport, on his way he had an accident, the police came and he was sent to the immigration prison where he stayed nearly one day before he could find a lawyer and paid a fine of 10,000bhts and booked a seat on another plane. He said all the money he had to pay was nothing compared with the time spent in the immigration prison. So overstay can become very serious.

The best advice I have is when you go to the immigration admit you are on overstay, then they will send you and your passport to another person to pay the fine.

It is very simple.

I did the exact same thing once, got the dates wrong as overstay, went to Poi Pet, told the man at the counter I was on overstay, I went to another desk had a seat while they filled out the fine receipt, paid the fine, got the stamp and off I went.

It simply is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

it is in most cases not a big deal if you make it to the border. Even then, immigration can detain you to do a background check, if you have a long overstay. Just to see if you didn't do anything illegally during your time in Thailand.

if you get caught on an overstay before you reach the border, immigration can detain you till you have paid the fine and bought a ticket out of the country. Immigration jail is not the nicest of places, Unseen Thailand might be a good description.

i went to the pattaya mmigration in jomtien.

very rude people these immigration officers. they just were kind to farangs who came with their beer bar girlfriends. they treated the farang and the bar girl way better then farangs who came alone, if well dressed or not.

they jut gave me a 7 days extension. outside all said i can get 30 days but they just gave me a week.

what i was wondering is, what exactly happens when you get deported? are you still able to come back after a day or will your re-entry not passed?

i mean a deportation is not a nice thing when staying in prison for a coupe of hours, but if you have to be deported andjust buy a ticket and get out and after a day can get back i dont see a big thing.

still a very unpleasant experience. i think when the immigration officers were more friendly it wouldnt be so unpleasant. its been just 3 days and the day my visa expired was the day i had to go to the hospital. showed the doctors notice. they still treated me like shit. and i was good dressed.

You definitely cannot get a 30 day extension when you entered on a non immigrant visa (90 days on entry).

The best they can do is 7 days, and if they wish they can ask for a confirmed outbound ticket before they issue said extension!

If you get arrested on overstay, processed and deported (especially for smaller overstays), you can normally come straight back.

However, if arrested and fined by a judge, immigration will invalidate any visa you might hold, so in your case your multiple entry visa would get canceled, and on return you would only get 30 day visa free on arrival (if coming in by air).

If you go in voluntarily and pay your overstay before you get arrested, your visa will not get canceled!

Since I read from the possibilitys to get in a Police control (in many years now, I had only one Policeman checking my passport) or other trouble where your Passport maybe get checked, I think a little different.

But I must say that I had many Overstays here in Thailand, between 1 and 22 days-that during the Airport Protests and afterwards.

Usually paid at the borders-once at an Immigration office.

Had also an Overstay in Cambodia and encounterd never any problem, only when I did not want to pay for the Airportprotest days,

but I had to pay-a different story-somewhere a Threat about it in Thaivisa.

So as other Posters write,

if you reach a border, it should be no problem, if the Overstay is not to long. Only take care to come there without getting nailed.

A very stupid statement!

I have been here over 10 years and never once got picked up by the police, so who is stupid now?

I have driven all across this country and up and down many, many times.

For every person you claim got picked up by the police there is another 10,000 that did not get picked up

So do the math and if you cannot do statistics because you failed high school the chance is very, very high you won't get picked up ever.

A very stupid statement!

I have been here over 10 years and never once got picked up by the police, so who is stupid now?

For every person you claim got picked up by the police there is another 10,000 that did not get picked up

So do the math and if you cannot do statistics because you failed high school the chance is very, very high you won't get picked up ever.

Traveling near the border in Mae Sod, I have been checked many times. There is always a real risk.

A very stupid statement!

Traveling near the border in Mae Sod, I have been checked many times. There is always a real risk.

And on the road to Aranyaprathet!

A coach full of farangs is fair game.