Somewhere To Watch Tomorrow's Leonid Meteor Show In/near Chiangmai?

Fitzy

Hey folks,

I'm currently staying in town with my lady (brought me own), but I'd like to catch the meteor shower tomorrow night. Right now, my plan (or lack thereof) is to rent a car for the night and drive out a ways where there's (hopefully) less light pollution so I can enjoy the show in all its splendor.

I just got into town however, so I'm not sure if this makes a lick of sense. I haven't ventured too far beyond the moat yet, so at this point, I just plan to drive out for an hour or so. Of course, if there's an observatory nearby, that might do the trick, although it would be considerably less romantic.

Any ideas?

I think if you were to go up onto Doi Suthep you will still have significant light pollution from the city. I'd suggest going up the southern part of the Samoeng loop - once you get a few miles up there the Doi Suthep-Pui range blocks out all the city light and the skies are inky black.

Edited by KhunDave

If you need to stay within an hour's drive, I'd suggest going for one of the resorts along the Samoeng Loop, where the mountain will block the city glare. But consider heading to the Chiang Dao area (1.5 hours away) or all the way up Doi Angkhang (3+ hours) where the show could be spectacular. And thanks for the reminder. I'd like to get out of town too if I can swing it.

Sawasdee Khrup, Great post, Khun Fitzy !

This year's Leonid shower is supposed to be a very "strong" one in Asia : enhanced by the absence of moonlight :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33589356/ns/te...cience-science/

"Also a big plus in 2009 is the lack of any interference from the moon. New moon is on Nov. 16, so skies will be dark for catching the fainter meteor streaks. And the first light of dawn will not break until shortly after 5 a.m. local time."

"Asian forecast

In particular, French astronomer, Jeremie Vaubaillon, Russian astronomer, Mikhail Maslov and Americans Bill Cooke and Danielle Moser of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office are all in agreement that material that was ejected from the comet's nucleus during the years 1466 and 1533 will likely produce a very strong meteor display over much of Asia.

"The year 2009 will not see a Leonid storm, but an outburst for sure," Vaubaillon said, adding that "there are still some uncertainties."

Last year, the material that was shed by the comet back in 1466 produced about 100 Leonids per hour.

This year, Earth will cross through the 1466 stream again, but this time much closer — 42,000 miles — to the center on Nov. 17 at around 21:40 GMT. This time favors central and eastern Asia (and it comes during daylight in North America). In addition, at about this same time, the Earth will also be passing through dust ejected by the comet in 1533. The consensus forecast among the astronomers for this year suggests anywhere from 130 to perhaps 300 Leonids per hour in Asia, but this spread has been calibrated chiefly using last year's Earth interaction solely with the 1466 stream."

Kindly to help orientalize us by sharing your knowledge of where Leo will be in the Chiang Mai sky around 1am Wednesday, thanks.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Take take the Mae Sa Valley Rd to Pong Yang. Turn right up to the Mong Village of Nong Hoi where there is also a Royal Project. Follow the road through the village about another 1km to the radio station towers. There is a viewpoint there, a little sala, that should give one about a 300 degree view of the sky. The road is paved except for the last kilometer. Even better, go camping up at the Rock Tower for an unimpeded 360 degree view. Other good viewing to the north of the city would be the road to the Mong village of Mae Sa Mai or the road up to the Khon Muang village of Pong Khai, both out of Pong Yang. Use David's Samoeng Loop map for details and countless other options.

Sawasdee Khrup, Great post, Khun Fitzy !

This year's Leonid shower is supposed to be a very "strong" one in Asia : enhanced by the absence of moonlight :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33589356/ns/te...cience-science/

"Also a big plus in 2009 is the lack of any interference from the moon. New moon is on Nov. 16, so skies will be dark for catching the fainter meteor streaks. And the first light of dawn will not break until shortly after 5 a.m. local time."

"Asian forecast

In particular, French astronomer, Jeremie Vaubaillon, Russian astronomer, Mikhail Maslov and Americans Bill Cooke and Danielle Moser of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office are all in agreement that material that was ejected from the comet's nucleus during the years 1466 and 1533 will likely produce a very strong meteor display over much of Asia.

"The year 2009 will not see a Leonid storm, but an outburst for sure," Vaubaillon said, adding that "there are still some uncertainties."

Last year, the material that was shed by the comet back in 1466 produced about 100 Leonids per hour.

This year, Earth will cross through the 1466 stream again, but this time much closer — 42,000 miles — to the center on Nov. 17 at around 21:40 GMT. This time favors central and eastern Asia (and it comes during daylight in North America). In addition, at about this same time, the Earth will also be passing through dust ejected by the comet in 1533. The consensus forecast among the astronomers for this year suggests anywhere from 130 to perhaps 300 Leonids per hour in Asia, but this spread has been calibrated chiefly using last year's Earth interaction solely with the 1466 stream."

Kindly to help orientalize us by sharing your knowledge of where Leo will be in the Chiang Mai sky around 1am Wednesday, thanks.

"The Leonids are not a one-night stand. The dust from Tempel-Tuttle spangles the sky for a few nights every year in mid-November. This year, the peak is expected during the predawn hours of Nov. 17, but early-morning hours on the dates surrounding Nov. 17 could provide a decent show, too. "

From the link you sent :)

go camping in Ob Luang National Park. It's about 1.5 hrs drive from CM. Lovely spot next to the river with a great gorge nearby. 3 man tent and sleeping accessories for rent for 250 Baht. Was there last week and was amazed at how beautiful the stars were at night.

But consider heading to the Chiang Dao area (1.5 hours away) or all the way up Doi Angkhang (3+ hours) where the show could be spectacular.

Yep, fantastic place up there and it'll be dead quiet and dark at that time. Obviously, the higher and farther away from a city you get the better and the Royal Project up there is something like 1,200 or 1,400m.

You can't go up Doi Suthep after 8pm. They close that road for everyone, unless you live there.

Eh :)

If you need to stay within an hour's drive, I'd suggest going for one of the resorts along the Samoeng Loop, where the mountain will block the city glare. But consider heading to the Chiang Dao area (1.5 hours away) or all the way up Doi Angkhang (3+ hours) where the show could be spectacular. And thanks for the reminder. I'd like to get out of town too if I can swing it.

I'm with cm das on this, spent a night in Chiang Dao last week and the sky was so bloody beautiful and clear at night that i opted to get drunk quick so I'd to lay on my back and just gaze at all the brilliant stars in the skies above!!!

Seriously though it is clear as a bell up up there and some great places to stay for cheap prices!

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Great response for my first post here, I hope some of you get out to see it.

Orang, wish I had specific information on where in the sky Leo will be, but I'm a novice when it comes to stargazing. I just like the sights.

I'm thinking Chiang Dao will be it for me. Had I more time to prepare, I'd go with the camping in Ob Luang; that sounds fantastic. Next time.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Fiddling around with the "StarDome" (requires Java on your computer to run) software for night-sky visualisation at :

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/stardome/default.aspx

And using 18:47N and 98:47E for Chiang Mai, setting the time to UTC +7, and around 1AM Wednesday, my best guess is that Leo will be in roughly the northeastern quadrant of the sky, more to the East than the North, but we hope someone will come along here with better astro-knowledge and update this "guess."

Unfortunately, the "StarDome" software does not allow you to export a link to the specifc visualisation it's showing you (poor site design), so we can't send you a link with all the exact parameters set. It does write them out as a cookie, but we've looked at the cookie contents, and they are encoded.

In the 'Options panel, at the bottom right, open the "Show Names" list : select 'Constellations.

They close the road at 8pm. If you're already up by that time then you will be asked to leave.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

Forgive us for going a little off-topic, but does that mean that bicyclists would also be stopped from going up at night ?

thanks, ~o:37;

LEONID METEOR SHOWER: The Leonid meteor shower peaks on Tuesday, Nov. 17th, with a new Moon providing ideally-dark viewing conditions. Forecasters expect a relatively mild display (20 to 30 meteors per hour) over North America followed by a much stronger outburst (100 to 300 per hour) over Asia. No matter where you live, the best time to look is during the dark hours before sunrise on Tuesday morning
Text above from Space Weather News Service.

I was clouded out this morning - but will try again tonight/tomorrow morning.

If you look to the East - up roughly 45o, that is where Leo's head is - the meteors radiate out from that area like spokes on a wheel, I was going to put together a video to show people what to expect.

Without an editing tool to play with if you look to the right of the Big Dipper, that is the head of Leo - the apparent center from which the meteors appear is the head of Leo. Although Leo rises from the Horizon shortly after midnight there is likely to be little visible activity until it has risen about your local horizon or houses and tress and is clear of the curvature of atmosphere (haze) that you are looking through. From 2am - 5am holds some promise.

Good Seeing.

Did anyone see anything out of interest ?

I got up to watch for about 20 minutes at 2am, 3am, 4am then 4:30-5:20am. The early forecasts I read suggested that Asia was well placed for a possible half storm, of 500 meteors per hour, this was down graded to a healthy 200-300 per hour in the last week or so. During my viewing I estimate I saw enough to warrant between 40-50 per hour, given the forecast this was disappointing. But at least I wasn't clouded out this year.

I did see a few larger meteors with longer trails, than the typical Leonid which is short and fast moving. But recently (two weeks ago) the best I saw was a fireball, that was a late member of the Orionid meteor shower.

Wish I was in the US for this one yesterday. (Link includes video footage.)

Link: Calendar of meteor showers.

Edited by Cuban

You can't go up Doi Suthep after 8pm. They close that road for everyone, unless you live there.

Eh :D

What "Eh" ? :D

They close the road at 8pm. If you're already up by that time then you will be asked to leave.

Well blow me, never knew that. Then again, never been up there that late, although have done the odd sunrise before 6. Guess it makes sense, what with the temple and, more significantly, the palace being up there... plus the high probability of inebriated locals gamboling down the hillside en-masse after karaoke. :)

What time do they start letting people up?