Duty On Juicer Bought From Us

tjansen

Hello,

I am considering buying a juicer in the US and having it shipped here (to Thailand). The reason to do it that way is to save money, but someone mentioned that I might have to pay the savings in duty. Anyone know for sure? And how much would the duty be for a $230 juicer (new)

Thanks,

Tom

Minimum 7% duty, probably another 10-20% duty plus you will probably have to buy a step down transformer, 220 to 110v, to use it in Thailand. Then there is the freight cost.

If it's a Samson, you can buy it in Thailand, they also have great service and spare parts. A bit more expensive but all included not a big saving to buy from US.

Juckchai Sompolpong

Manager

Good Health (Thailand) Co Ltd

10/2 Ladprao 88 ,Praditmanootham road,

Wangthonglang Bangkok 10310

Tel 02-9337886

Fax 02-933-9080

Edited by Sheryl
commercial url deleted, google if needed

Minimum 7% duty, probably another 10-20% duty plus you will probably have to buy a step down transformer, 220 to 110v, to use it in Thailand. Then there is the freight cost.

If it's a Samson, you can buy it in Thailand, they also have great service and spare parts. A bit more expensive but all included not a big saving to buy from US.

Juckchai Sompolpong

Manager

Tel 02-9337886

Fax 02-933-9080

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS LINK! THEY EVEN SELL WHEAT GRASS AND SPROUTERS! I just got into raw foods and have been doing some of my own sprouting and wanted to sprout wheat grass. The sprouters from America, cheap plastic , are so expensive. Looks like they have the kids here.. and all those juicers!

Is there a store that you can walk into or just mail order (I Love mail order too) as i am in Phuket but will be in BKK Jan.

Also I have just ordered something big from overseas too and had someone take out the invoice and I made my own shipping label via usps.com where i said it was used and a gift and declared the value very low (please don't get lost) and put it in a Thai PErsons name.

The actualy value is $260 and after $100 in shipping (weights 17 lbs) I don't feel like paying 60000 baht. I heard they even tax you on the shipping rate. Amazing.

Will let you know what happens. Luckily this item came in 220 v also.

Look up the thread about the Vitamix and you will see what someone had to buy just to use their American blender. Not worth the hassle in most cases.

Juckchai Sompolpong

Manager

Tel 02-9337886

Fax 02-933-9080

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS LINK! THEY EVEN SELL WHEAT GRASS AND SPROUTERS! I just got into raw foods and have been doing some of my own sprouting and wanted to sprout wheat grass. The sprouters from America, cheap plastic , are so expensive. Looks like they have the kids here.. and all those juicers!

Is there a store that you can walk into or just mail order (I Love mail order too) as i am in Phuket but will be in BKK Jan.

Also I have just ordered something big from overseas too and had someone take out the invoice and I made my own shipping label via usps.com where i said it was used and a gift and declared the value very low (please don't get lost) and put it in a Thai PErsons name.

The actualy value is $260 and after $100 in shipping (weights 17 lbs) I don't feel like paying 60000 baht. I heard they even tax you on the shipping rate. Amazing.

Will let you know what happens. Luckily this item came in 220 v also.

Look up the thread about the Vitamix and you will see what someone had to buy just to use their American blender. Not worth the hassle in most cases.

Thank you for the information. I have already checked on shipping cost and voltage (they have the 220 volt version). The store you referred me to is the expensive option, 14,900 baht and they "include a complimentary yogurt maker". When asked about their price and the possibility of omitting the yogurt maker, there was no give.

The Samson company itself in the US sells the same model for $229, and shipping is $99 per their email to me.So, oddly enough, buying the machine here costs almost $450 plus probably moderate shipping cost from Bangkok to my home, while Samson can get one (proper voltage) to me for $328.

Therefore, customs and any other unforeseen cost was my unknown that I was trying to determine. I believe that ZZZ is probably on target. It sounds like I could potentially save around $50, but when you throw in the uncertainties of shipping overseas, I am probably better off just buying here. I was just a bit upset that the premium for buying it locally seems to be on the high high side, but in reality, it probably includes their risk as well.

Is anyone looking for a bargain on a yogurt maker?

Thanks again for the useful information.

Tom

Just saw wheat grass growing kits in the supermarket at Central Chidlom.

Re the juicer, another potential pitfall is that you might be required by customs to get a clearance from whatever the name of the department that clears off on electronic goods is, which in tunr will entail more time and money. This happened to me once and I was unable to get out of it. A lot depends on how the thing is shipped, this kind of scrutiny and problem is most likely if it is shipped direct from the supplier in commercial packaging and ab ove all if a courier service is used, FedEx in particular seeming to have a genius for ensuring maximum red tape.

After what I went through when last I did it, I would not purchase by mail any electrical appliance unless I really, really had no choice.

If you want a more economical option you could always buy the hand crank model from the company listed above. This should work just as well, be a lot cheaper and give you some exercise as well.

That's not a bad idea at all. I had considered that option when I was on a juice fast and thought the work would be prohibitive, but now I am only using juice and 'specialties' like almond nut crust occasionally on my raw food regimen, so you are correct, a little exertion could even crank up the hunger a bit.

Thanks to all the posters. It has helped a lot.

Tom

Edited by tjansen

My customs story:(with a happy ending

:D )

I wanted a dehydrator. An American brand in particular also for raw food.

So the company had the 220v model and shipped to a US address for free.

After asking about 4 people i finally found someone to ship it to me. (15lbs so it was a big favor). The thing actually cost about $250 (made in America but surely not worth that much but never mind ).

I made and paid for the shipping label online at USPS.com

I paid by cc and was able to fill out the name, value etc. I used a Thai Persons named and had it shipped to my PO Box. I said it was worth $20 and it was a gift and it was a 2nd hand dehydrator (and hopped it would not break and then I would be screwed). With the intl. postage there is an automatic insurance up to $100. Not sure how that works if you value it at $20.

I made sure there was no invoice in the box. Instructions put away inside. and the main plastic wrap removed.

Shipping cost me $105. (expensive I know! but for all the other cheap stuff here ...).

I was also able to track it.

took about 8 days.

It arrived and my total customs bill with the extra 20 baht from the post office 895 baht! Yipee!

(my friend once bought some Pro Active skin cream. she paid about 800 baht customs and the stuff only cost $60).

It seems they re-marked my USPS packaging slip to "commercial sample" but not sure. There is a box for gift, which was pre marked by me and then another choice was "commercial sample" which had a pen mark on it and then the amount written, 875 baht.

Perhaps I only got charged the 20% on shipping charges?

Anyway it was a lot of effort but I am happy to have it now and learned a few lessons. TAKE OUT THE INVOICE!

Also the styrofoam was broken as they obviously had taken it out and put it back in but not perfectly of course. And my dad, the victim/shipper, also said he bubble wrapped it but I think they nicked the bubble wrap at customs as there was none. :) So in the end i am lucky it did not break. Nor were there any small parts to lose. I bet at the end of everyday they have a pile of them.

Edited by MisterMan