Thanksgiving? Inthailand?

jazzbo

101 Head Starts on the (Thanksgiving) Day

I was asked on the phone the other day from USA 'What are you going to do for Thanksgiving?" -- I said about the same that you do for Loy Kratong...As usual from Mark Bittman, the Minimalist, there are some great ideas in his lists even if you don't have an oven... although now I have one of those OTTO round-top convection ovens

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/dining/1...;pagewanted=all

I have an oven too, and use it nearly every day. I made full thanksgiving turkey dinner for my wife and some Thai friends. It cost about 8 times as much as a nice dinner out.

And the Thais politely tried the turkey, dressing, sweet potatos and pie, but brought shrimp, som tam and noodles.

Edited by oldgeezer

... and the USA Thanksgiving equivalent of the Loy Kratong burn-down-the-house Lantern: Deep-Fried Turkey all 20 or so pounds of it.

WASHINGTON (FoxNews 2003) ...As the trend toward fried — instead of roasted — turkey has grown, so has the concern over the possible dangers of deep-fat fryers.

Allstate Insurance said 15 homes burned to the ground around the country last Thanksgiving as a result of the improper use of turkey fryers. The product-testing company Underwriters Laboratory Inc. (UL) refuses to certify as safe any turkey fryer model currently on the market ... In 1999, the last year figures were available, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that 500 fires involving a deep-fat fryer took place around the nation, resulting in over $6.8 million dollars in damage.

Note: I had my first deep-fried turkey in Oklahoma City when a Cajun neighbor set-up a rig and all his friends came by... great taste but scary.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it at Makro on promotion for (I think) 900 baht -- it is a stainless steel bowl -- they normally range (glass bowl) around 1500 baht. 1300 watt made in PR China so the same unit is sold under many different brand names. It has been very reliable so far. It would probably hold a small turkey.

I have not cooked any large meats because I have an apartment with no kitchen (I cook on the balcony) and I have an agreement with the manager not to fry, broil, or grill meats and create a smell as others complained when I did before... great for shirred-style eggs in the morning. I cook bacon, mushrooms, 'caramelized' onions (I hate that word), small sausages, shrimp, etc. I have a crock pot for chicken, pork, spaghetti sauce, etc. -- but one of these days at 2 AM I may try to use the convection oven to cook one of Makro's NZ leg of lamb.

It would probably hold a small turkey.

I cook bacon, mushrooms, 'caramelized' onions (I hate that word), small sausages, shrimp, etc. I have a crock pot for chicken, pork, spaghetti sauce, etc. -- but one of these days at 2 AM I may try to use the convection oven to cook one of Makro's NZ leg of lamb.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try one.

Yea... the NZ leg of lamb in Makro looks good, and it's a good price too. So far I bought the Thai branded leg of lamb in Makro (Malai) and it was cheap and quite good (surprisingly); but without an oven, I deboned it and then made lamb curry. I've also bought the New Zealand netted shoulder (boneless). I saw some available butterball turkeys for a low price but never tried it yet. Maybe christmas (if I so decide to get that convection oven). :)