Hungarian Or Icelandic Food?

AjarnUan

Anyone know of any Hungarian or Icelandic restaurants in Bangkok?

I know there used to be The Budapest, but I heard it's closed now.

Also, I have been craving some vinarterta (Icelandic prune-based layered cake, preferably with marzipan), has anyone happened to see it in any bakeries?

...long shots, I know, but worth a shot...

I looked up recipes for Vinaterta on the internet. Lots of variations. None that i saw called for marzipan although several did specify almond flavoring. Not that this is definitive. In this kind of recipe there is going to be a lot of variation. One recipe said that the cake had to be aged for at least 4 weeks in a cool place but not a refrigerator. Maybe if you baked it on Doi Inthanon in cold season you might get away with that. Anyway, it looks delicious. My wife has a bakery here in Chiangmai. This is just the kind of cake she llkes to bake so she is going to give it a try. Maybe we'll even have goulash as our entree.

I looked up recipes for Vinaterta on the internet. Lots of variations. None that i saw called for marzipan although several did specify almond flavoring. Not that this is definitive. In this kind of recipe there is going to be a lot of variation. One recipe said that the cake had to be aged for at least 4 weeks in a cool place but not a refrigerator. Maybe if you baked it on Doi Inthanon in cold season you might get away with that. Anyway, it looks delicious. My wife has a bakery here in Chiangmai. This is just the kind of cake she llkes to bake so she is going to give it a try. Maybe we'll even have goulash as our entree.

Bon Appetit (in Hungarian)!

And, Happy Eating (in Icelandic)!

Please report back to us on the outcome...

• 4 weeks later...

while we're on the subject, anywhere to buy nice Hungarian paprika? (that ain't no more than a few months old)

can't do goulash with the local beef (maybe with the papaya tenderizing method) but shure can do chicken paprika...tasty...

Edited by tutsiwarrior