Thaksin Defies Astrological Warnings

george

PM defies astrological warnings

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is normally known for his belief in fortune tellers, but when the president of the International Astrological Association recently predicted that the country could face a serious crisis and that Mr. Thaksin himself would have health problems, the prime minister became unusually dismissive.

Describing astrologers as 'guessers', the prime minister noted to the nation on his weekly radio address this morning that Thais had a habit of only remembering the accurate predictions that astrologers made and conveniently ignoring the wrong forecasts.

On 7 April Mr. Phinyo Phongcharoen, president of the International Astrological Association, warned that over the next two years the country would face a severe crisis, and that Mr. Thaksin himself would be beset by health issues and threats to his life.

But paying homage to Buddhist belief, the prime minister stressed that the Lord Buddha had spoken of the inherent impermanence of all things in the world.

While it was important not to be negligent, neither should the people panic over the latest predictions, he said.

"I've just had a thorough health check two months ago, and last Wednesday I went for a blood test. Everything was completely normal. I don't have any health conditions. There's nothing to be worried about", he said.

Speaking in disparaging terms of the astrologer who made the prediction, he said that what is more important than believing in astrology is to have faith in oneself.

--TNA 2005-04-10