นานทีปีหน

DavidHouston

Please help me with the meaning of the phrase " นานทีปีหน". Here are several examples:

ถ้าจะเปิดให้นำเข้าพืชอาหารสัตว์ทั้งหลาย ถามว่าจะทำอย่างไรกับเกษตรกรผู้ปลูกพืชอย่างถั่วเหลือง ข้าวโพด มัน ฯลฯ ซึ่งนานทีปีหนจะ "ถูกหวย" กับเขาสักที

นานทีปีหนที่จะเห็นหรือได้ยิน พล.ต.ท.วรพงษ์ ชิวปรีชา ผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล (ผบช.น.) กล่าวตำหนินายตำรวจชั้นผู้ใหญ่ที่รับผิดชอบความสงบเรียบร้อยระหว่างการชุมนุมของพันธมิตร . . .

It appears to carry a meaning of "it is not very often that"; "every once in a while"; "once in a blue moon".

Am I on the right track? Thanks for your help.

"The long years" = "นานทีปีหน" .... This is what I came up with.......

1. Is not that often = จะไม่บ่อยมากว่า

2. Every once in a while = ทุกครั้งบางคราว

3. Once in a blue moon = ครั้งเดียวในดวงจันทร์สีน้ำเงิน

4. If the opening to feed all imported plants. Asked how farmers with crops like soybean, corn, etc., which it will be the year long "is a gamble" with him once.

ถ้าจะเปิดให้นำเข้าพืชอาหารสัตว์ทั้งหลาย ถามว่าจะทำอย่างไรกับเกษตรกรผู้ปลูกพืชอย่างถั่วเหลือง ข้าวโพด มัน ฯลฯ ซึ่งนานทีปีหนจะ 'ถูกหวย' กับเขาสักที

5. Long years to see the screen or hear. Chew Pl.t.t. Worachai Phong city police intelligence commander (ผบช.น.) mention the senior officer responsible for peace between the alliance together.

นานทีปีหนที่จะเห็นหรือได้ยิน พล.ต.ท.วรพงษ์ ชิวปรีชา ผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล (ผบช.น.) กล่าวตำหนินายตำรวจชั้นผู้ใหญ่ที่รับผิดชอบความสงบเรียบร้อยระหว่างการชุมนุมของพันธมิตร

Note: Beach Cmdr = ผบช

F = น

(ผบช.น.) Par. 5.

Beach Commander "F"

I hope this help............... :)

Edited by MarkTSpalding

"The long years" = "นานทีปีหน" .... This is what I came up with.......

1. Is not that often = จะไม่บ่อยมากว่า

2. Every once in a while = ทุกครั้งบางคราว

3. Once in a blue moon = ครั้งเดียวในดวงจันทร์สีน้ำเงิน

4. If the opening to feed all imported plants. Asked how farmers with crops like soybean, corn, etc., which it will be the year long "is a gamble" with him once.

ถ้าจะเปิดให้นำเข้าพืชอาหารสัตว์ทั้งหลาย ถามว่าจะทำอย่างไรกับเกษตรกรผู้ปลูกพืชอย่างถั่วเหลือง ข้าวโพด มัน ฯลฯ ซึ่งนานทีปีหนจะ 'ถูกหวย' กับเขาสักที

5. Long years to see the screen or hear. Chew Pl.t.t. Worachai Phong city police intelligence commander (ผบช.น.) mention the senior officer responsible for peace between the alliance together.

นานทีปีหนที่จะเห็นหรือได้ยิน พล.ต.ท.วรพงษ์ ชิวปรีชา ผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล (ผบช.น.) กล่าวตำหนินายตำรวจชั้นผู้ใหญ่ที่รับผิดชอบความสงบเรียบร้อยระหว่างการชุมนุมของพันธมิตร

Note: Beach Cmdr = ผบช

F = น

(ผบช.น.) Par. 5.

Beach Commander "F"

I hope this help...............

Agree with Yoot -- you're understanding it correctly, David. "Once in a (long) while," "once in a blue moon", "rarely" "infrequently." Context will dictate what works best in English.

นานทีปีหน is a rhyming expression, equivalent to phrases like นานๆที. It adds flavor and euphony.

Literally interpreted, นานที = "once (ที) in a while (นาน)", and ปีหน is literally "once (หน) a year (ปี)"

ถ้าจะเปิดให้นำเข้าพืชอาหารสัตว์ทั้งหลาย ถามว่าจะทำอย่างไรกับเกษตรกรผู้ปลูกพืชอย่างถั่วเหลือง ข้าวโพด มัน ฯลฯ ซึ่งนานทีปีหนจะ "ถูกหวย" กับเขาสักที

If importing of animal feed crops is allowed, what will we do with all the farmers who grow crops like soy beans, corn, tubers, etc. who only "win the lottery" once in a blue moon?

นานทีปีหนที่จะเห็นหรือได้ยิน พล.ต.ท.วรพงษ์ ชิวปรีชา ผู้บัญชาการตำรวจนครบาล (ผบช.น.) กล่าวตำหนินายตำรวจชั้นผู้ใหญ่ที่รับผิดชอบความสงบเรียบร้อยระหว่างการ ชุมนุมของพันธมิตร . . .

Rarely do we see or hear Pol. Lt. Gen. Worapong Chiwapricha, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, criticize a high-ranking police officer [-- in this case, the one] responsible for keeping order at the PAD rally.

(Rough translations.)

The word "ถูกหวย" in this context doesn't have the literal meaning. It means "get an unexpected chance". It can be positive or negative meaning.

It's interesting, Khun Yoot and Khun Rikker, that both Thai and English use a similar metaphor: "ถูกหวย" an unexpected occurrence of something good. Another English term is "windfall".

Here is a usage from a newspaper from February of this year:

'ด้วยความที่ไม่แน่ใจว่าหลังจากพรรคประชาธิปัตย์จมปลักเป็นฝ่ายค้านอยู่นาน 8 ปี เมื่อถึงเวลาได้กลับมาเป็นรัฐบาลแบบไม่คาดฝันจะเป็นเหมือน "สามล้อถูกหวย" หรือไม่'

I guess this is the standard metaphor: a samlor driver winning the lottery.

Khun Yoot,

Can you provide us an example where the metaphor is used in a negative sense? Thanks.

Khun David,

'ถูกหวย' in a negative sense is used when saying something sarcastic.

For example;

เฮ้ย เพื่อน วันนี้ข้าถูกหวยหวะ เจ้านายเรียกไปพบ บอกว่าจะส่งไปทำงานที่ปากีสถาน ซวยจริง ๆ จู่ ๆ ทำไมหวยมาลงที่ข้าได้วะ :)

"สามล้อถูกหวย" is another good example. If you're called "สามล้อถูกหวย" that means you are being insulted.

สามล้อถูกหวย is not necessarily an insult, and can be used to describe oneself. For example, if you came into a windfall and used all the money to pay off your debts in a very short period of time leaving you nothing, you might refer to yourself as สามล้อถูกหวย.

Also used in a joking way.

Context, context.

Khun David,

'ถูกหวย' in a negative sense is used when saying something sarcastic.

For example;

เฮ้ย เพื่อน วันนี้ข้าถูกหวยหวะ เจ้านายเรียกไปพบ บอกว่าจะส่งไปทำงานที่ปากีสถาน ซวยจริง ๆ จู่ ๆ ทำไมหวยมาลงที่ข้าได้วะ :)

"สามล้อถูกหวย" is another good example. If you're called "สามล้อถูกหวย" that means you are being insulted.

I think the same is true for English. "I really won the lottery today... I got pulled over on the way to work, at work I got laid off, and I came home early to find my wife in bed with her yoga instructor. How'd I get so lucky?"

The more different things are, the more they stay the same... :D