Expats In Thailand Not Using The Internet

george

I can go along with 20% but for sure it is a guess based on much less than statistical levels. In our rural part of Thailand that number makes sense even though I would not expect the same for metropolitan areas.

There are at least 50 foreign monks in Thailand. Most of them don't use it (I don't know if they really qualify as expats though) :o

Regarding the rest, I guess 99% of them using it, at least once a month, will be pretty close to the truth...

I did'nt use it (at home) for about 3 years and the nearest internet shop is around 10 km away, just used to pop in to check e-mails. There is probably a much higher % of ex-pats in the rural areas not useing it as they dont have phone line access. I used to use IPstar and now am on GPRS as the phone line ends about 3 KM from my house.

You forget the poor ones, there are a couple who have no money (one is here arround he sometimes borrows 200 THB from me to finance the next weeks food)....

I guess there are a couple of these arround, they most probably don't use computer but they are expats.

There are at least 50 foreign monks in Thailand. Most of them don't use it (I don't know if they really qualify as expats though)  :o

Regarding the rest, I guess 99% of them using it, at least once a month, will be pretty close to the truth...

How many percent of the expat commuity in Thailand is not using the Internet at all? What do you think?

IMHO: (registered users of TV) x 100 divided by (Registered ex-pats in LOS)

Could give the % users. Is about as close as you will get.

There cannot be many ex-pats who use internet that have not heard of, and are not registered on, TV.

There will of course be inaccuracies in both numbers for obvious reasons, but with luck they may cancel each other out.

I cannot think of another way.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Thomas Merton:

I guess your methode will not work! A lot of expats are here on tourist visa or even without visa :o

And a lot thailand lover are registered in TV, but stay at their homecountry.

Really a lot of expats never heared about TV, a lot does not even heared about TV.

Belive it or not, there are a lot of Germans and Austrians arround who don't speak english, but thai.

Bye the way people from Malaysia, Myamar, China, India and so on in Thailand are also expats, not only these with the long nose and the white face (farang).

I guess this question gets impossible to solve.

h90

How many percent of the expat commuity in Thailand is not using the Internet at all? What do you think?

IMHO: (registered users of TV) x 100 divided by (Registered ex-pats in LOS)

Could give the % users. Is about as close as you will get.

There cannot be many ex-pats who use internet that have not heard of, and are not registered on, TV.

There will of course be inaccuracies in both numbers for obvious reasons, but with luck they may cancel each other out.

I cannot think of another way.

Thomas Merton:

I guess your methode will not work! A lot of expats are here on tourist visa or even without visa :o

And a lot thailand lover are registered in TV, but stay at their homecountry.

Really a lot of expats never heared about TV, a lot does not even heared about TV.

Belive it or not, there are a lot of Germans and Austrians arround who don't speak english, but thai.

Bye the way people from Malaysia, Myamar, China, India and so on in Thailand are also expats, not only these with the long nose and the white face (farang).

I guess this question gets impossible to solve.

h90

H90, you are of course correct in your description of the situation.

Which makes me wonder is why George asked the question? He, of all people, must know the answer is impossible to calculate.

Or was it just rhetorical?

Edited by Thomas_Merton

I think maybe George cannot calculate the numbers and so wants guesstimates from our own circle of friends. Maybe he is trying to calculate his market penetration.

I have never met a falang in the street who knew about Thaivisa .

Also age comes into it. The older they are the less likelyhood of being computer savvy.