Entrance, Gates, Fences

sweeex

Hello everyone !

some year ago I finaced a wall/fence around our house, ( and rest of thai famely´s houses, 2 more) Al the concrete work and bricking has been done. and the iron work´s is on the way,,, should have been done already,, but ,, not!

what I am woundering about is the gate construktion in the front... What do you al have for experiance , sliding gate? or what? any hint´s on were to buy ready "standard" gates ,it there any standard sizes or just custom made to each house?

I guess they wary alot in price,, what did you pay for your gate?

I´m 100 km from khon kaen,

pls post a picture of "your "gate if possible.

If you do a search on the Thai Visa search engine you will be able to read great information, see prices and many photos fro previous posts. I'm not sure if you are looking for any particular metal (or wood) material on that gate, but my experience "up country" was that at EVERY "stainless shop" they had several standard books from either metal suppliers or gate manufactures and you could pick a design or they would modify the design in the book to your taste. Our gates and fence sections were made at a Buriram shop and brought on site in sections by a lowest cost bidder who seems to have done a great job of installation.

1) Go and look very carefully at the cement or brick work on the two posts near your gate opening. In our situation they had a special man and make the cement work look "fancy" when I was not here. One of the things he did was have a "cap" or "crown" on the fence posts which in effect pushed out the option of where a sliding gate could roll. I "missed this one" and after our nice sliding gate was installed we realized there is a GAP where a dog or chicken can enter our property. Hence some bricks were added after the fact, but I should have REMOVED part of the "crown" PRIOR to the gate installation so the rolling gate would be more snug to the concrete posts.

2) No matter what material or style of gate, it is CRUCIAL you establish the exact minimum width between any vertical bars. We have a nice rolling gate, but we needed to add either more stainless vertical railings OR plastic mesh cheap fencing to keep out SKINNY DOGS and poultry. Our pet cats can shimmy under the fence gap, but the stray soi dogs and poultry can't enter our yard since we added the plastic mesh fencing to the stainless steel rolling gate and the stainless steel "people" hinged gate. We NEVER use the people gate, it was as useful as a "formal dining room table" inside a Thai family house.

3) No matter what your budget or personal choice of a gate, if it is a rolling to the side gate purchase the best stainless steel wheel sets you can find.

4) If rain water flows down your front driveway towards your front gate consider if once you have a rolling gate bottom track installed can water still flow out of your property.

5) The slope as a car enters or leaves your driveway is important as you might own or your friends might own a car with low front ground clearance.

Prices for the exact same grade, thickness and size of stainless steel front fence and gates varied from firm to firm. Once you have read the previous postings on Thai Visa Forum, gotten some more replies to your post, gone in person to a few "gate, stainless, metal shops", and have looked on the internet you will be able to specify what YOU want in terms of materials for the gate so a few "fence/gate/stainless" local firms can give you a written bid showing those specs will be met. Our gate is a "plain" design compared to many you'll see on Thai Visa and the gap between each vertical post is TOO WIDE.

I've attached some photos which show the GAP on the left and right side due to the cement "crown". There is a wasp-security electric fence attached on top of our gates and all fence sections.

post-20604-1258692624_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1258692685_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1258692707_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1258692742_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1258692783_thumb.jpg

Being a privacy freak and security minded to boot I decided to go for the conventional swing opening doors. They are built on a steel box frame then filled with Conwood secured with chrome headed self tapping nuts. Plastic draft excluder strips at the bottom prevent snakes coming in the area. Total cost maybe 15k But you need strong pillars on which to hang the hinges which in turn are welded to the steel inside the pillars.

post-22250-1258699675_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,, now I have arrived here in issan, and had some time to se and wounder how we should procede with the gate's and fences. we have contacted a lokal guy who came by with books of different style gates and prices, looks like the gate will end up as one of you said arround 15 k, and iron fences between pillars about 1,7kb. seems resonable I think?

Anyway though we are multiple houses with in the walls , we split the ironfence part,, and cost our own gate!

That's one problem or,, solution out of the way! the main issue for me,, (another post) is raisin the floor level in the house,,, I'll be back on that one ! I will update this thread with pictures from the "gateening" se you!

post-25690-1260870970_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1260871060_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1260871239_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1260871321_thumb.jpg

Hi, woke up to day with a cold,,, so easy is way of to day! the lokal blacksmith sa been here to take messaurments , and have also begun to cut and weld the parts together ,,, some pictures from he´s so called " workshop",,,

post-25690-1261209767_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1261209821_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1261209861_thumb.jpg

post-25690-1261209913_thumb.jpg