Capturing Streaming Video

bendejo

There are some sites offering streaming video that come in so poorly they can't be watched as they load, so I prefer to download them as files and then watch them offline. This is ok for youtube and a few other sites that use the same sort of setup, but there are other sites that do not seem to buffer: that is, you can't pause the player while the video is loading, and then when the download is complete watch the vid continuously.

While there are a few software programs out there and a few Firefox add-ons that allow this, there are certain sites that have poor throughput and do no offer any alternative to just watching as it loads.

Examples are

http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/clic...ine/default.stm

Yahoo's streaming vids

Any of the videos on these sites usually take forever to download, and play in bursts, app. 3 seconds each. Setting the disk storage space to unlimited in the Flash Player settings has no visible effect.

I'm looking for ways to deal with this:

1) find a capture utility; all I've tried don't recognize the kind of sites like the three I listed

2) an alternative to the Adobe Flash player plug-in that actually allows buffering and playing back from the buffer

Don't reply by simply blurting out the names of utilities you've seen posted on the web and haven't used yourself -- yeah, there's tons of these out there, but most only work on the youtube type sites. I've tried a lot of them, but haven't come up with anything that allows capture or even buffered playback of these others.

There is a way to pull the captured vid out of Firefox's cache, but it's been hit-or-miss for me.

BTW, my favorite capture utility is Moyea 1.15; this is an older version that seems better for my purposes. I tried a newer version and found it wanting. Unfortunately it is completely oblivious to these no-buffer sites.

Jaksta Streaming Media Recorder is the only program I know of that can record RTMP and RTMPE streams with SWF Verification. Jaksta won't download "secured" streams, but will record them while being played in your browser.

EDIT: Tested and works with BBC and The Daily Show streams. I didn't try any Yahoo vids, but I'm pretty confident it will work as well.

Edited by Supernova