Importing A Trailer From The States

gregb

I have a situation where I might be needing temporary housing that can be easily moved a few times a year. After looking at some local options, I realized that a trailer (caravan for those of you who have never moved beyond the queen's English) would be a much less expensive and more luxurious option, assuming I purchased it in the states and shipped it here.

I know importing cars is out of the question, but does anyone have knowledge or experience about importing a non motorized vehicle? Would it likely be subject to the same type of corruption applied to standard vehicles? What are the official import duties?

I think you would be better off getting a shipping container and having it modified.

This is a project that I've had in the back of my mind for some time now and, if I sign the contract in Chiang Mai next week that I hope to sign, I'm going to do it.

The USA type mobile homes are certainly much better designed but I think a modified container is the way to go in Thailand.

If you'd like to go this route, let me know. Maybe we can find some fabrication shop that will give us a quantity discount.

About 4 - 5 years ago I purchased a trailer mounted vacuum system from the States. It was imported easily enough but it took over a year to get it registered. I cannot remember all of the details but there was a never ending trail of documents needed. Two things that I do remember about the import was that we needed to tell the customs department that the trailer was going to be registered when it was imported as it comes under a different tax bracket. We actually had to go back to customs and pay more tax and submit the receipt to the relevant authority. The other thing was that because the unit was made to US specs the overall width was to wide. We ended up cutting a few inches off the mud guards to get it to spec.

But at the end of the day we imported a trailer, got it registered and we are using it almost every day without issues, so it can be done.

Edited by Barty

• 3 weeks later...
About 4 - 5 years ago I purchased a trailer mounted vacuum system from the States. It was imported easily enough but it took over a year to get it registered. I cannot remember all of the details but there was a never ending trail of documents needed. Two things that I do remember about the import was that we needed to tell the customs department that the trailer was going to be registered when it was imported as it comes under a different tax bracket. We actually had to go back to customs and pay more tax and submit the receipt to the relevant authority. The other thing was that because the unit was made to US specs the overall width was to wide. We ended up cutting a few inches off the mud guards to get it to spec.

But at the end of the day we imported a trailer, got it registered and we are using it almost every day without issues, so it can be done.

I have never seen a trailer of any sort in Thailand on the road, not a camper, boat trailer, motorcycle trailer, utility trailer etc. Maybe I am blind? Is there a problem with trailers on the road in Thailand? You can register, licence and operate a trailer ok? Maybe U-Haul is here and I am blind?

I have never seen a trailer of any sort in Thailand on the road, not a camper, boat trailer, motorcycle trailer, utility trailer etc. Maybe I am blind? Is there a problem with trailers on the road in Thailand? You can register, licence and operate a trailer ok? Maybe U-Haul is here and I am blind?

You can register and operate trailers in Thailand. I have done done it and we are still operating the trailer more or less every day without any problems with the police. I cannot comment on U-Haul but I do not think that they are in Thailand.

Barty

Siam Motor Home Co Ltd Thailand a joint ventureship with Vantech Japan build the Terra and Vega campers you see around Thailand. Visited factor back in Ampur Muang Chonburi province back in 2007, (K. Somsak was GM); back then focus was on Terra project, basically modifying Toyota Vigo trucks into campers, mostly for export, some small volume local Thai market. They had many different truck modification development projects going on, mobile offices, ambulance, a few different size mobile home type projects. Believe the Terra was selling for about 3mil thb. Uploaded some pics brochures from way back.

post-78747-1260513990_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260514011_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260514044_thumb.jpg

Siam_Terra.pdf

Siam_JB.pdf

You can register and operate trailers in Thailand. I have done done it and we are still operating the trailer more or less every day without any problems with the police. I cannot comment on U-Haul but I do not think that they are in Thailand.

Barty

Subway uses pickup with a trailer for all their supplies. Both have coolers. Trailer is imported and registered

Another local Thai option versus importing. :D

Motor Expo at Impact over weekend had a miniature simple CarryBoy Camper for 1.45 mil thb.

CarryBoy has a sizeable range of plain fiberglass trailers. Check out http://trailer.carryboy.com/

Myself would view their products as cheap and low quality, though very reasonably priced stuff.

They have very beautiful sales staff. :)

post-78747-1260700939_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260700951_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260700961_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260700969_thumb.jpg

post-78747-1260700979_thumb.jpg

The OP refers to a trailer as a "non motorized vehicle" thus I suspect he refers to a mobile home? This being the case I need much time to think through the concept that Americans now need to import such things to Thailand, it's a frightening prospect that we may soon have farang trailer parks in the making.