Please Help Me Learn Some Positive Words Of Praise

chrisp4

I am not in thailand long, but would like to know some words of praise other than 'thank you very much'.

I learnt zsep which apparently means delicious in northern dialect, which is really good for eating out and usually gets a laugh .

Can someone help me out with some more?

eg, good, , very good, comfy, great driving, pretty, fantastic

Slangy or regional phrases especially welcome.

thanks muchly

In addition to saep (แซ่บ "delicious" in Northeastern/Lao dialect), you can add saep ee-lee (แซ่บอีหลี) or the very emphatic saep laai laai der! (แซ่บหลายๆเด้อ). Those just add emphasis, and the last one sounds kind of folksy. Good for a laugh from us baksiidaa.

Also a nice one is:

ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักครับ - "yin dee tee dai roo jak krap," which means "nice to meet you."

And:

เจอกันใหม่ - "jer gan mai," which means "see you again."

This is a very polite thing to say as you are leaving, because it means that you enjoyed the company of the people you are speaking to, and hope to meet them again some day.

And finally:

ขอบคุณครับ - "kob koon krap," which means "thank you."

ขอบคุณมากครับ - "kob koon maak krap," which means "thank you very much."

I don't know any Isaan dialect, but in central dialect

'you are a good person' - khun puu[2] dee (คุณผู้ดี)

([2] means you should try to put a falling tone on it)

and

'you have a good heart' - khun jai dee (คุณใจดี)

(this one is easier because all the tones are middle/even tone)

are good things to say after 'khorb[1] khun krab[3]'

([1] = low tone, [3] = high tone)

when people give you something, or do something for you that you think is especially nice.

comfy = sabai (and/or) sabai dee

great driving = khap roht geang mak

Generally geang mak (sounds like 'geng maahk', elongating the boys name for the second word) is a nice thing to say. Means 'you are clever' or 'that was clever')

This one you need to be very careful with your tone...

suay = beautiful (rising tone)

but

suay = cursed (falling tone)

I once told some schoolgirls that they were beautiful, with extra emphasis on the beautiful. Bad move. Puzzled looks, followed by embarrassed laughs.

In addition to saep (แซ่บ "delicious" in Northeastern/Lao dialect), you can add saep ee-lee (แซ่บอีหลี) or the very emphatic saep laai laai der! (แซ่บหลายๆเด้อ). Those just add emphasis, and the last one sounds kind of folksy. Good for a laugh from us baksiidaa.

Also a nice one is:

ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักครับ - "yin dee tee dai roo jak krap," which means "nice to meet you."

And:

เจอกันใหม่ - "jer gan mai," which means "see you again."

This is a very polite thing to say as you are leaving, because it means that you enjoyed the company of the people you are speaking to, and hope to meet them again some day.

And finally:

ขอบคุณครับ - "kob koon krap," which means "thank you."

ขอบคุณมากครับ - "kob koon maak krap," which means "thank you very much."

is JER GAN MAI not rather used if u talk to people you are very familiar with, and shouldn't better the more formal PHOP GAN MAI be used when talking to people you don't know very well (yet) ?

koon chalat mak khrap means you are very smart ( I think..)

you wouldn't really say that to anyone though. maybe a child once in a while. stick with "geng mAAk".

koon tam cup cow king khrap means you are a good cook ( again..I think)

again, you might tell someone who just cooked for you something simple like "tam geng mAAk". or if you are out of context you can use "tam AHaaN geng mAAk". or if you are telling your mother in law that her daughter cooks good farang food you can say "tam AHaaN farang geng mAAk".