Under The Brit

peekint

I've never seen the attraction of loud music, ever since I was a teenager and first experienced live music so loud that it vibrated my heart. I can't count the number of times that I've walked from a restaurant once a band started playing so loud that you couldn't talk with your dining companion. I just don't get it. What is the attraction of loud music?

Me too, Nancy. Some folks like to say that if you don't like ear bleed volumes you are too old.

But like you, I became too old in my early 20's.

I remember a time when some concert musicians were shocked that the crowd was telling them to turn it DOWN.

Just ask Eric Clapton or Phil Collins. But you'll have to speak very loud when you ask them.

If you want the music that loud, you need better drugs. :)

Under The Brit, New Bar Makes Life Unlivable in Nimman area

Unfortunate for some, and fortune for others, the Nimman area has become a township in its own right with smart new buildings, businesses, eateries and night spots. Night time entertainment is great for the kids looking for new places to go, and there seems to be no sign of recession outside of the tourist industryn here. Construction hasn't stopped for years now, and it's almost impossible to go down any soi in this city without some new building springing up.

You might find some quite residential areas in some sub sois, but anyone living in the central area can expect music, screeching cars, racing motorbikes and screaming girls well into the wee small hours of morning. Makes me wonder of any of the youth have jobs in this city because every day seems to be party time down this end of town. Back in the UK, many of the city centers are dead from Sunday to Thursday most weeks of the year.

It's a case of 'If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen, then get out!' i'm afraid. However, that might be easier said than done for those who have invested in property in the area. The good side is that your property would have gone up in value nicely due to the past, present, and continual development of the Nimmanhemin strip, even though it's a noisy place to reside.

Aitch

You might find some quite residential areas in some sub sois, but anyone living in the central area can expect music, screeching cars, racing motorbikes and screaming girls well into the wee small hours of morning. Makes me wonder of any of the youth have jobs in this city because every day seems to be party time down this end of town. Back in the UK, many of the city centers are dead from Sunday to Thursday most weeks of the year.

In the west alcohol is expensive and sends people to sleep (though there may well be some raucous singing, shouting etc before that :) ). In Thailand, and especially CM, the substance of choice is cheap, and keeps them awake, and in party mood all night!

Put me down as a 'stick in the mud' also---there is a standard by which we, who pertain to be civilized, attempt to adhere to and that is that we try not to, knowingly, annoy or disturb other human beings wherever we are on this overcrowded planet, however, in the relatively short time that I have been a 'guest' in this country I am reminded on a constant basis that what we, as 'aliens,' find acceptable is often at odds with the perception of the same 'acceptable conduct' as viewed by our hosts--noisy karaoke singing at all hours being just one example-- tethered, and bored/frightened dogs barking incessantly another--and the list goes on....sleep deprivation is a tried and tested instrument of torture and can lead to very unexpected reactions--anyway, I can totally sympahize with anyone who's life is being ruined by callous, unthinking people but, at the end of the day if a quiet word or a request delivered with a smile doesn't work what can we, the visitors do? Often the same nuisance is disturbing our Thai neighbours but they seem to stoically accept these noise assaults thereby indicating that direct action/intervention is 'not on the cards' and, unfortunately, it seems that there it must end; I have even moved house, as one of our previous posters mentioned, to get away from the problem--I guess it's just another, albeit unpleasant, instance of 'Shit Happens!'

As they say--just my 25 satang worth.

I LOVE loud Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Husker Du, but not Thai music. I rather turn it off completely. Actually some Issan music might be OK.

UG I didn't know you were a man of such good taste. But as to the topic I like it loud when I want it loud, but certainly not some else's play-list every day.

In the west alcohol is expensive and sends people to sleep (though there may well be some raucous singing, shouting etc before that :) ). In Thailand, and especially CM, the substance of choice is cheap, and keeps them awake, and in party mood all night!

I don't doubt that, but we don't all move in those circles. Gay friend back home lived that life for a while too in inner Sydney, now he is stuffed, shame.

If they don't know some residents are upset then how can you expect them to rectify the problem?

Of course they know it's affecting people, <deleted> would they expect setting up something like that in a residential area! As with anything else of that nature here, though, they won't give a rats ass as there's money being made. Perhaps you could be the hero in all this and tell your buddies they're out of order. Ask them if they'd appreciate someone blasting out crud next to where they live. Then again, unless you're really buddy buddy, probably not a good idea.

There are 38 replies to the original post. Besides "Bangkok Blue", do any of you know this bar? It's real name, according to both signs, is "The Bridge Bar". Where did the OP get "Under the Brit"???

I live about 100 meters away. I just went by 20 minutes ago. There's a half dozen Thais sitting and drinking quietly. The music is playing at a reasonable level. Dayli is packed and is much louder. That's been pretty constant since The Bridge Bar opened in July or august. I haven't been home recently on Friday nights but I didn't hear anything unusual on Saturday.

I don't doubt that there might be an occasional noise problem if you live directly across the street, but it's not nearly the same problem for those who live across from Dayli, the Monkey Club or the Blar Blar Bar. It's certainly not destroying the neighborhood. They have a sign up that they're going to have a live band on 5 December. Until then it should be pretty quiet.

Chiang Mai is a fairly big city.

Move.

If a venue opened up near your home and its noise disturbed you, you would simply move?

My place is not that far from the venue in question and the noise does not disturb me. But if it did, I would try to do something rather than just give in. In fact, the first to complain would be my Thai partner who, at her last place, had a running complaint with her neighbours over noise. Opposite her former place, some Thai guys would sit out till the early hours drinking, playing music and saying "bad words". She absolutley despised them for keeping her awake.

Rgds

Edited by piercefilmlid

Under The Brit, New Bar Makes Life Unlivable in Nimman area

Unfortunate for some, and fortune for others, the Nimman area has become a township in its own right with smart new buildings, businesses, eateries and night spots. Night time entertainment is great for the kids looking for new places to go, and there seems to be no sign of recession outside of the tourist industryn here. Construction hasn't stopped for years now, and it's almost impossible to go down any soi in this city without some new building springing up.

Indeed there seems to be no sign of recession in as far as the college age students are concerned. I'm always amazed at how flush with cash some of these kids are and driving brand new expensive cars, etc. I know there are some very rich Thai people in Chiang Mai but the numbers seem very high.

The problem with the Nimman area is that it has become so difficult to navigate your way through the endless stream of traffic there. A couple of times in the last month or two I wanted to check out a place that I had heard good things about, but after 30 minutes of trying to get through the traffic, ending up on a dead end soi with nowhere to park and then trying to turn around on the narrow soi and get back on the main street I just gave up. I'm sure this happens often and businesses are losing customers.

I guess when the development was planned they never thought about having a large parking area for customers. There is a lot behind the soi where the Punni Residence is, but the other week when I was there, they had it coned off.

The bars that play loud music usually pay the police to leave them alone. The smaller the bar the less payment. If it bothers enough neighbors go around and organize a monthly collection pot. If you get together and pay the police more than the bar does you won't hear a sound!

Indeed there seems to be no sign of recession in as far as the college age students are concerned. I'm always amazed at how flush with cash some of these kids are and driving brand new expensive cars, etc.

Ain't that the truth. Don't forget those 500,000+ Baht Super bikes too.There's plenty of them around! It seems that CM is has a licence to print money, and the only impact the recession seems to have had is within the tourist industry. I'm sure other areas have been hit too, but from where I'm standing, it's all Spend, Spend, Spend!

The problem with the Nimman area is that it has become so difficult to navigate your way through the endless stream of traffic there.

Heck! i can't even zip across that road on a scooter sometimes, and i'm pretty daring on the tarmac!

There is a lot behind the soi where the Punni Residence is, but the other week when I was there, they had it coned off.

Yes, 3 weeks that party went on for. It stopped last Sunday, and the silence at night was golden :D Alas, it's all kicked off again yesterday and the lot you refer to is back in full swing. Huge stage, tents, food stalls, manic traffic congestion, and music so loud you can't hear the TV with the windows shut :)

I do like the area though, but as soon as i find a new place a tad quieter and with a hight speed internet connection, i'm outta here. Shame really, as i have around 70 SQM, 1 bed corner unit with lovely views of the surrounding mountains :D

Aitch