Former PM Samak Sundaravej Has Died

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former PM Samak dies

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej succumbed to his liver cancer. He was 74 years old.

The 25th prime minister of Thailand was pronounced dead at the Bamrungrad Hospital at 9:33 am Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Samak Sundaravej (June 13, 1935 - November 24, 2009) (Thai: สมัคร สุนทรเวช; RTGS: Samak Sunthorawet).

He was the Prime Minister of Thailand and Minister of Defense in 2008, as well as the leader of the People's Power Party in 2008. Sundaravej is Chinese.

Early life and family

Samak was born in Bangkok, Thailand to Sewok Eak Phraya Bumrungrajabhariphan (Samien Sundaravej) and his wife Khunying Umphan Bumrungrajabhariphan (Umphan Sundaravej). He is of Chinese descent (ancestral surname Lee (李)).[1] He has five siblings. Samak studied at Saint Gabriel's College, Assumption Commercial College and Thammasat University. He also received diplomas from Chulalongkorn University and Bryant & Stratton College.[2]

As well as being a politician, Samak is a well-known television chef. For seven years until the military coup of September 2006, he hosted a cooking show called Tasting, Ranting on the Thailand ITV television network and Royal Thai Army Radio and Television. He said that once he became prime minister, he would also resume his career as a TV chef and has done so. On September 9, 2008, the full bench of the Constitutional Court ruled that it was unconstitutional for Samak to maintain his television career, and disqualified him from office. .[3][4]

Samak is married to Khunying Surat Sundaravej, a financial adviser to the Charoen Pokphand Group. They have 2 children.

-- Wikipedia

Former PM Samak dies of cancer Tuesday

Published on November 24, 2009

Samak Sundaravej, the 25th prime minister of Thailand, died of cancer on Tuesday morning.

He was 74.

Samak had been treated for cancer in Bamrungrat Hospital in Bangkok for months. He went into coma on Sunday and died on Tuesday.

He was pronounced dead at the Bamrungrad Hospital at 9:33 am Tuesday.

He would be remembered as one of the most colourful and controversial figures in Thai politics. He was known for his sharp tongue and short temper.

The veteran politician was also a celebrity cook, a newspaper columnist and owner, a Bangkok governor elected with the highest number of votes, a multiple-term MP, and a Cabinet member serving in many ministerial portfolios, including interior, transport and agriculture.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/24

I didn't like the man personally, and I despised his opportunist politics, but I do think he was colorful and respect that he didn't censor himself (albiet sometimes to his own detriment). I do send my condolences to his family, for this sad time.

May he have his own cooking show in the great beyond, and may it never be canceled.

Former Thai prime minister Samak Sundaravej dies of cancer

1259032848.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej died of liver cancer at a Bangkok hospital at the age of 74 Tuesday morning.

Mr Samak passed away at Bumrungrad International Hospital after spending more than one year in hospital fighting the fatal disease.

The funeral will be held at Benjamaborpit Temple and a royally-sponsored bathing rite is set for Wednesday.

Mr Samak, Thailand’s 25th prime minister, was born on June 13, 1935. Graduating from the Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, he began his political career as a member of the Democrat Party in 1968 and was a Bangkok MP for the Democrat Party in 1975.

He established his Thai Citizens Party in 1979. He took ministerial posts in several ministries, but resigned to enter the Bangkok governorship election in 2000 and became Bangkok governor in a landslide victory.

Elected prime minister under the People’s Power party, Mr Samak was forced out of office following a verdict by the Constitution Court, which found him guilty of having received payment for hosting a TV cooking show.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-11-24

He certainly was a colourful chap, with a remarkable memory for cooking and poetry.

His presence on the cooking circuit will be sorely missed, and hopefully we all can learn that life is short, so instead of focusing on the mundane and less pleasant aspects of life, it is always important to have balance and find time for the things we love - be they cooking shows, music, movies, sport, meditation, poetry or skiing - lest we get to the end and realise that instead of enjoying life we spent our whole time working and missing out on 'smelling the roses'.

RIP Samak - you certainly found plenty of time to 'smell the roses' when you were BMA governor and again when you were PM. A character indeed.

I hated his political views and actions but on a personal level he was often caring, he would talk to everyone from the manager to the cleaner when he visited a company, pointing out the effects of a new road or project on their lives. He had the time of day for everyone.

//General notice//

If you post please show your respect to the deceased. Inappropriate comments will not be tolerated

I have had cause to remove some inappropriate comments already - no warnings have been issued - however if i have to repeat this, i will be issueing warnings and/or holidays

Thanks for your co-operation

Royally-sponsored bathing rite for Samak to be held at Benchama Bophit temple Wednesday

The royally-sponsored bathing rite for late former prime minister Samak Sundaravej will be held at the Benchama Bophit Temple on Wednesday.

His funeral rite will be held at the 100th Anniversary Hall.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/24

Thaksin expresses condolence to Samak's family

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra expressed condolence to the family of former prime minister Samak Sundaravej.

Shortly after Samak's death was reported, Thaskin wrote on his twitter page that he would like to send his condolence to the family and he was sorry that he could not attend the funeral rite.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/24

Former PM Samak dies

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej succumbed to his liver cancer. He was 74 years old.

The 25th prime minister of Thailand was pronounced dead at the Bamrungrad Hospital at 9:33 am Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/24

There goes another GREAT LEADER!! Sometimes money also cannot buy health recovery .. . Thus the saying 'When you have your good health, you can find money' but not vice versa. I hope he has a painless death and may his soul rest in peace.

He did a lot for the country/.../ as governor of Bangkok.

While he did good things for the nation in their fight against communists and the protection of the crown, I cannot agree with you that he did a good job as governor of BKK. Well, atleast he didn't completely screw it up, and that might be seen as good, I don't know...

R.I.P Samak.

I recall that when he in his leadership position, the threads in TV were very nasty, even as he during the period could no longer keep his illness from becoming public. He knew for awhile that he was ill and had hoped to do some good before he came to the end of his life. And yet, people could not accept that he was trying to make a positive impact, instead calling him a faker as his liver disease progressed. Vilified for having an innocuous cooking show that in retrospect people realize was just that, a show about the joys of cooking. Despite the negative PR put out by his opponents, he did have a kind streak to him and did care about the country. What defined him was that you knew where he stood. He didn't offer empty platitudes. He was no fool and had a mind that was sharp enough to get him through some of the better Thai schools, and through the political minefield of Thai politics. I always said I liked the gentleman and I am going to miss him, if only for his vibrant and exciting personality.