Kanchanaburi From Bangkok - Taxi For The Day?

LincsLad

Hi folks,

Looking at taking a day trip to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok when we are there in a couple of weeks.

I know you can take a bus, or minibus, but another option being touted on some websites is a taxi each way at around 1,000THB each way. (Not sure how up to date those prices are.)

My question really is ... is it worth hiring a taxi for the day to visit Kanchanaburi, and if so what is a ballpark cost to aim for when 'negotiating' the price? Is it worth having a taxi to see around Kanchanaburi town itself, or is it better to go with local tuk-tuk or songthaews for getting around? (Thinking here about Jeath Museum, War Cemetries, Bridge itself, somewhere to eat, maybe shop ...)

Happy to travel from BKK to Kan on the bus if that is the opinion of those in the know, but looking at options too.

Advice welcomed. :)

I would imagine, that it would be a 7 seater or larger car, rather than a saloon car for up to 4 people.

the going rate for renting a 7 seater is 2k for a full day + petrol. If you are in need, I can contact you with my neighbour, who does this job and speaks english.

I did it about 3 years ago. Went to the Tiger Temple and bridge. Left soi 4 about 10 and returned about 6.30. Cost 2500b. I got to know that driver and expect he inflated the price in hindsight. It was worth the price just to see him offer his hand to a tiger cub and get bitten.

I did it about 3 years ago. Went to the Tiger Temple and bridge. Left soi 4 about 10 and returned about 6.30. Cost 2500b. I got to know that driver and expect he inflated the price in hindsight. It was worth the price just to see him offer his hand to a tiger cub and get bitten.

I don't know, maybe I am a sucker, but I just don't think that 2500 baht sounds that inflated for the whole day. Gas alone was probably at least 500 baht, if not more. So that's 2000 baht for about 9 hours, which equals 222 baht/hour. The taxi drivers I've known said that they had had to pay 1000 baht/day to the person/company they rent their taxis from. So, unless your guys owned his own taxi, his profit would be knocked down to 1000 baht. That's 111/baht an hour. Hardly seems inflated to me. Well worth the cost of having a driver on demand, in my opinion.

In most Bangkok taxi's you get in there is a couple of laminated placards hanging off the headrest of either of the front seats. One of those cards outlines cost estimates for catching taxi's long distances, ie bkk to kanchanburi etc.....if you got a look at one of those cards it would give you some idea what most taxi drivers would be attempting to get for the trip. I'd imagine that the price quoted is just for the direct trip and drop off.

If there was a group of you, you could consider hiring a mini van for the day, generally those guys charge 1800-2000 baht per day (24hrs) plus fuel and tolls. Many of them have decent vans too, a bit better than ur average bkk market minivan.

Take the train. There is a tourist train that stops at the cementary, temple and goes across the bridge. It is good fun as far as a tourist activity goes, only down side is that it leaves early 6'ish and you return in the same train around 8 pm. Full day tour.

Take the weekend train....

Train Timetable

train03.gif By Rail : Ordinary trains leave Bangkok's Thon Buri Railway Station (Bangkok Noi Station) every day at 7.35 a.m. and 1.45 p.m. for approximately 3 hour journey to Kanchanaburi. Call Thon Buri Railway Station at tel: 0-2411-3102 or Kanchanaburi Railway Station at tel: 0-3456-1052 or visit www.srt.motc.go.th.

The weekend special train leaves Bangkok Railway Station (Hualamphong) at 6.30 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. For more information, call : 1690, 0-2223-7010, 0-2223-7020.

Edited by sorensen

agree, train is better, (Kanchanaburi/bangkok road traffic terribe) if times suit .. cost negligible.

Take the train. There is a tourist train that stops at the cementary, temple and goes across the bridge. It is good fun as far as a tourist activity goes, only down side is that it leaves early 6'ish and you return in the same train around 8 pm. Full day tour.

Take the weekend train....

Train Timetable

train03.gif By Rail : Ordinary trains leave Bangkok's Thon Buri Railway Station (Bangkok Noi Station) every day at 7.35 a.m. and 1.45 p.m. for approximately 3 hour journey to Kanchanaburi. Call Thon Buri Railway Station at tel: 0-2411-3102 or Kanchanaburi Railway Station at tel: 0-3456-1052 or visit www.srt.motc.go.th.

The weekend special train leaves Bangkok Railway Station (Hualamphong) at 6.30 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. For more information, call : 1690, 0-2223-7010, 0-2223-7020.

Thanks for all the responses.

There will only be 2 of us travelling, so minibus sounds like overkill.

Still not sure how we will travel, but thanks for the offers, contacts, and the idea of checking the 'menu' hanging off the front seats - will do that on way into town from the airport.

Thanks for all the responses.

There will only be 2 of us travelling, so minibus sounds like overkill.

Still not sure how we will travel, but thanks for the offers, contacts, and the idea of checking the 'menu' hanging off the front seats - will do that on way into town from the airport.

If you're 2 guys travelling, you might want to take a couple of local girls along to do the talking... Worked well for me..

The best thing to see is the Death Railway Museum at the top of the Hellfire Pass and this is a considerable distance beyond Kanchanburi town proper, about 50 km if my memory is right, and it is worth spending a couple of hours. I would reckon it is the best museum in Thailand largely because it is run by the Australian Government's Department of Veteran Affairs and the curator, William, oozes enthusiasm. The museum closes at 4pm. The signage is outstanding, it really tells the story of the death railway and you can actually take a walk down into the railway cutting and walk along a stretch of the line and go for a fairly lengthy hike if you are interested. There is an evening sound and light show near the bridge in town which is probably the best comedy show in Thailand, its theme being how Thailand won the war and the heroism of Thais!!! The war cemetery in Kanchanaburi town is also worth a visit. The area is really beautiful and there is lots of grandiose scenery with forests, mountains and big lakes. For this reason you would be best with your own transportation. You might consider renting a car and while there are clear risks involved in driving in Thailand, I can assure you it is not a complete no no, depending really on your own attitude and confidence ...and once you have negotiated your way out of Bangkok it should be fairly easy .....everything is signed in English. Best wishes