Bringing Car To Thailand

Welshman

I'm moving to Thailand in August and have just contact a shipping company about shipping some of my heavier stuff over. It seemed so cheap that I joked that I could have my car shipped over.

Seems they can...however...

Bearing in mind the prices being asked for cars over there, might be a good investment but on the other hand, what I do know about Thailand is that nothing is that simple.

Has anyone tried it? And what likely obstacles is Thai red tape likely to throw up ?

Surely it's the import duty that's the big problem. The tax itself is only 30% or so (depends on engine size / vehicle type), but because it's applied to the amount after import duty, it's rather inflated...

You could try asking tuktukmike. I believe he imported a car from the UK (as it was old enough that the import duty was relatively low, and he was very attached to the car as he'd worked on it himself for years...). A search on the forum should pick it up.

I honestly don't think there's much profit to be made from a personal import, partly because you're only allowed to bring in one car, which I believe you must have owned for 18 months already (assuming you have a work permit), and because you still have to pay the import duty, taxes, shipping costs, etc.

And before you start using low UK used car prices to base the tax calculations on, the base amount for the duties and taxes is what Thailand thinks the car is worth, not necessarily what you paid for it...

Last year, I wanted to bring in a 1991 Mazda Miata, and I was told that the duty would be around B3 million - that's more than a new Miaia costs in the Kingdom.

Wow! you can buy a new mercedes in thailand for that kind baht.

A bit more than than 30% of the value I'd say.

A buddy in Patong wanted to bring his old Triumph motorcycle in and was told it would cost him a million. Kind of insane.

You could try asking tuktukmike. I believe he imported a car from the UK (as it was old enough that the import duty was relatively low, and he was very attached to the car as he'd worked on it himself for years...). A search on the forum should pick it up.
I remember well the end of the story... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=23946&st=45

I remember well the end of the story... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=23946&st=45

He never did report on the ultimate outcome.

Thai customs site !!!!!!!!! Don't count on it.Rules are made up as they go.Wanted to bring a 2 year old Ford from Australia Duty around 300% plus.They do not look at what you paid ,but the recomended retail price.

Just imported a BBQ ,spent a day trying to get it out & payed motza.

Surely it's the import duty that's the big problem. The tax itself is only 30% or so

A slight typo error there. You have left a nought out

No. The tax rates are about 30%. What I left out is the 65% import duty.

i.e. Car costs £1,000

Add 65% import duty (assuming Thailand agrees the £1,000 value)

= £1,650

then add the 30% tax (or more depending on engine size)

= £2,145

and that's without the cost of shipping, and assuming that Thailand will accept your valuation (which they probably won't). I said in the earlier post, you are not going to make money importing a car into Thailand... (although Australia, with the FTA, should now be exempt from the import duty...???)

Are the custom rules similar for Thai citizens? For example, a Thai spouse handling an import would have to pay the same taxes, duties, etc.?

Also, is it possible to import a brand new car? Having to own the car from 18 months seems to rule this out, also rules out buying a second hand car and importing it... however I do know some Thai people who imported brand new cars from Germany and Japan without owning them for more than a month or two.

I'd like to import my car from Japan (let my wife do it if more expedient). This crowd have many interesting Toyota and Honda models that aren't on the market here:

Batfa

All their prices are in US$, and they charge US$ 600 to ship to Thailand. Which seems cool.

Would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing. Some of these cars would tempt me even if the price was to be doubled after duties etc.

I have seen some showrooms at various places around Bangkok that seem to be selling imported cars that are not officially on the market. Anyone know anything about these? Prices are probably too high since they only seem to stock up-market models, which I guess makes sense because people looking for an "exclusive" car usually have money.

I just don't like many of the cars in Thailand. I don't like the equipment levels, and when you do find the one with the right equipment, the trim includes a lot of fake wood (ick). I'm just picky I suppose.

On a slightly askew point: cars that are assembled here in Thailand have lower vehicle registration tax than those assembled elsewhere. So how about importing a new car minus some easily added parts... let's say ... the wheels. And then "assembling" the car parts here to qualify for lower tax? Okay, not likely to work! :o

Finally... is there a website, official government or otherwise, that provides figures on the taxes and duties for imports, giving details of various engine sizes, power output, etc.?

Surely it's the import duty that's the big problem. The tax itself is only 30% or so

A slight typo error there. You have left a nought out

No. The tax rates are about 30%. What I left out is the 65% import duty.

i.e. Car costs £1,000

Add 65% import duty (assuming Thailand agrees the £1,000 value)

= £1,650

then add the 30% tax (or more depending on engine size)

= £2,145

and that's without the cost of shipping, and assuming that Thailand will accept your valuation (which they probably won't). I said in the earlier post, you are not going to make money importing a car into Thailand... (although Australia, with the FTA, should now be exempt from the import duty...???)

That'll be phased in

• 3 weeks later...

What about the maintenance after you get the vehicle here? Anyone know about how hard it is to get parts and to find someone who knows or can figure out how to fix it? Would it be a good idea to bring a shop repair/rebuild manual along with the car? Also what about gas compatibility. In the USA they have lead free gasoline.....don't know if they have that here or if it would matter. Also are octane ratings compataible?

So little time....So many questions!

OK, thanks for all the posts - ask a silly question I suppose !

Just that I was a bit taken aback by the prices over here. But then again, with collapsing prices in UK and so much competition cars have become rediculously cheap over here and quite a shock when you look elsewhere.

I've managed to find a couple of websites with cars for sale and figure on spending around 200,000 baht for my first motor - though it will depend on where I end up after doing my TEFL course and finding work.

Thanks for all the pointers.

:o

• 5 years later...

How about the reverse situation? Exporting a car (Honda Jazz) to the U.S.? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love recommendations for a reliable import/export firm that can ensure certification and handle the transport?

How about the reverse situation? Exporting a car (Honda Jazz) to the U.S.? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love recommendations for a reliable import/export firm that can ensure certification and handle the transport?

Don't know what you are smoking but must be really good stuff! :D

Last time I checked, they were selling Jazz in North America (assuming US got the same models as Canada), with a sticker price of around $14,000 ($10,000 less than in Thailand), just with a different lable - Honda Fit.

Knowing US prices, it must even be cheaper South of the boarder from Canada.

Don't know what you are smoking but must be really good stuff! :D

Last time I checked, they were selling Jazz in North America (assuming US got the same models as Canada), with a sticker price of around $14,000 ($10,000 less than in Thailand), just with a different lable - Honda Fit.

Knowing US prices, it must even be cheaper South of the boarder from Canada.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not looking to buy one in Thailand and export it; my fiancee already has one. I'm trying determine whether it will be worth bringing over vs. selling and starting over. (Of course there is always the MIL option.)

in this case think what it will cost at the end. $24,000 car + shipping + whatever import fees you need to pay in the States + it's LHD car (not sure about the US but Canada will not allow LHD cars in unless they are 15 years or older I believe). So in the end you may end up with $30,000 used car that new costs less than a half of that.

I would sell it and buy a new one.

hi welshman take a tip from a welsh man £240 inc.ins.to send 3cubic mts.to thailand is what my wife paid,cheap you would say but it cost her another £400 to get it through customs plus the agents fiddles and she is thai,havent the agent in the uk warned you about this because it is going to cost you big time,and dont even think about the car,you said you have seen a car for 200,000bht did it have any wheels,because any decent car over 10years old thats running is more likely to be around 400,000bht.