Denied 30 Days Tourist Visa Extension

Yesterday me and my girlfriend for the past 12 years went to Chock Chai (Korat) immigration to extend my tourist visa with 30 days. I deliver my application, passport, passportcopys and a picture. This was not enough for the lady behind the counter. She asks for a copy of my girlfriends ID. We gave her a copy. Then she asked for a prof of my adress in Surin. I could not give her that because there is not written in the visa-rules that you need a prof of your permanent adress to extend your tourist visa. I ended up with a extension of only 7 days. I wonder if anybody has experienced the same as I did. I browsed the Immigration website last night and found nothing about their "permanent adress prof"

post-84155-1259211482_thumb.jpg

Do you actually have a visa issued by embassy/consulate abroad, or are you on visa exempt entry? 7 day extension would apply to the latter. Immigration can ask to see whatever documents they want.

Sounds a bit like that doesn't it ? Mind you the officer may have taken exception to a lack of sartorial splendour on the part of the applicant. :) The OP is a four post newbie and I see that two of them are in the trash. He does tend to get a lil bit

aggressive if all isn't going his way.

Do you actually have a visa issued by embassy/consulate abroad, or are you on visa exempt entry? 7 day extension would apply to the latter. Immigration can ask to see whatever documents they want, but request is unusual.

I have a double entry tourist visa from Vientiane. I heve been in Thailand 17 months, and ai have never had this troubble before.

I used to live in Hua Hin. Maybe the immigration practice different from office to office.

Immigration seems to be correct as you are now required to make application in the area you live. If doing in a tourist area they would probably not ask but you should have hotel receipt to show if they do. Upcountry you should have some proof that you are in the area that Immigration office serves. It also seems this was a last minute extension so no time to obtain the requested document?

Immigration seems to be correct as you are now required to make application in the area you live. If doing in a tourist area they would probably not ask but you should have hotel receipt to show if they do. Upcountry you should have some proof that you are in the area that Immigration office serves. It also seems this was a last minute extension so no time to obtain the requested document?

Yes it was a last minute extension. Next time I will have documentation that proof my adress ! I used to liv in Hua Hin, and they never asked for this documentation. Thx. for the advise :)

"Next time I will have documentation that proof my adress ! "

That could also be a problem, depending on what proof you offer.

Most legal tourists aren't going to have much more than a hotel receipt to show them.

If you offer something more permanent, then you really aren't a tourist and would probably be denied on those grounds.

Most legal tourists aren't going to have much more than a hotel receipt to show them.

If you offer something more permanent, then you really aren't a tourist and would probably be denied on those grounds.

Sorry but that's rubbish. I rented a house in Pattaya using 30 day exempt entries and nobody ever queried my status. Left every 30 days (except one 7 day extension ----- and they will not budge on the 7 days on an exempt entry) but had proof of an address in the form of the rental agreement.

Im still a tourist untill I enter again in 4 days on my new B visa

Cheers :) 2SS

sorry but I go with the Thai Authorities here in that case. A tourist is someone who is VISITING the country, NOT someone who is LIVING here!

So I guess the best tip is to get real and bring the proper paperwork or apply for a one year Visa outside of Thailand. KL is a good idea to go, if you dont want to leave for your (real) homecountry :)

will cost you a flight and a hotel in KL for two days but hereafter you should get a one year non O visa and with that you have to leave the country every three month only. The one year visa is ok for 15month if you use it clever :D

btw, we have already too many farangs here living on one month TOURIST Visa

sorry but I go with the Thai Authorities here in that case. A tourist is someone who is VISITING the country, NOT someone who is LIVING here!

I also support this feeling, if you want to live there get the correct visa.

It is all the cowboys (no insult to the real cowboys) that make it difficult for the people with married lives / family, good jobs or a respectfull business. I understand rental property is an excemption and so it should, costs a lot less that a hotel for 30 - 60 days.

It is not difficult to plan the visa process in advance to ensure last minute runs are avoided or unnecessary. use the correct visa, follow their instructions, it is their country and they can do whatever they want. we just want to live there.

Very true.

Lazerlab why are you bothering with such a short-term 'tourist' visa when its fairly common knowledge locally that you have a business and internet site over here.

Immigration personel are not stupid :)

You will not get one year Non-O visa in KL on basis of Thai gf. The nearest consulate providing such a visa is Perth. Tourist visas usually provide 60 day stay from date of entry providing visa is valid (but for a few countries is only 30 days).

Absolutely Mr. thaiphoon, he will not get the visa there because he have a Thai GF but I am sure if he is willing to get a Visa in KL and bring all the necessary

documents requested he will get one without flying to Australia. A little bit he has to inform his self what is requested at the immigration, but if he want go on living here its just a little bit work to google or use the SEARCH in THAIVISA Forum :D

have a great day :)

Very true.

Lazerlab why are you bothering with such a short-term 'tourist' visa when its fairly common knowledge locally that you have a business and internet site over here.

Forgive my ignorance, but if one has a business here, shouldn't one be here with a proper work visa or one of those business investment visas?

Where is the point to show off at an immigration office, with your girlfriend, for a tourist visa extension?

Also, to my knowledge. tourist visa extension can be done at any immigration offices, all over Thailand... as for the address, just mention a hotel in the city your applying for it. Actually, you are a tourist and supposed to travel extensively around the country :)

Correct me if I am wrong...

Very true.

I do not have a business in Thailand. My girlfriend has a business. By the way; I have decided to go to Bankok and sign up for a 200 lesson thai language course, and apply for a edu-visa. We have a nice condo in Lat Phraya, so accmondation is no problem. :D

Very true.

I do not have a business in Thailand. My girlfriend has a business. By the way; I have decided to go to Bankok and sign up for a 200 lesson thai language course, and apply for a edu-visa. We have a nice condo in Lat Phraya, so accmondation is no problem. :D

Sounds a bit naive to me for someone who has long term connections in Thailand, for me after 10years married and living in Thailand, with correct visa, i was refused a visa foer who knows what? and got a 7 day extension, so i sat at the officers desk for about 3 hours after i had my passport back, untill eventually i received a 60 dat extension, 60 days passed i tried again, with the same response, untill i asked is there any way around this, 5 minutes later, another years visa, work it out for yourself.

So I guess the best tip is to get real and bring the proper paperwork or apply for a one year Visa outside of Thailand. KL is a good idea to go, if you dont want to leave for your (real) homecountry :)

will cost you a flight and a hotel in KL for two days but hereafter you should get a one year non O visa and with that you have to leave the country every three month only. The one year visa is ok for 15month if you use it clever :D

We, WE! Who are you to say that! Being a tourist for 6 months or 6 years means you still have to 'LIVE'. Honestly, the cheek of some.......

It is all the cowboys (no insult to the real cowboys) that make it difficult for the people with married lives / family, good jobs or a respectfull business. I understand rental property is an excemption and so it should, costs a lot less that a hotel for 30 - 60 days.

It is not difficult to plan the visa process in advance to ensure last minute runs are avoided or unnecessary. use the correct visa, follow their instructions, it is their country and they can do whatever they want. we just want to live there.

Sorry, if he works here, why not get a non B and pay the tax etc....

Saves all kind of problems especially if you do something needing a workpermit.

... why you not go out of Thailand and stay in Cambodia or the Philippines ? ? ? Or Malaysia ? Here u can stay and have no problem with visa.

I think "they" make it difficult for the people with thai married lives / family. I think "they" not want long - time. Now "They" only want short time tourist.

I see this problem in the imigration - now more papers - more problems -

I'm glad that I'm not petty enough to care what kind of visa the guy next to me has. If Thailand has a policy that allows people to stay a long time on a Tourist Visa, maybe THAILAND should change the name of it OR, like they have been doing, change their policy. Either way, it isn't any farang's business what visa the other guy is living here on. If it bothers you, go seek counseling. Seriously.

I had a similar situation at immigration in Samut Prakan a couple of months ago. They wanted to see proof of where I was living, either a receipt from a hotel or rental contract. They don't care how many months or years people stay here on tourist visas, as long as rules are followed and fees are paid.

I got off the hook for this time btw., but the message was clear: next time, I would have to provide documentation (unless the rules have changed of course...).

Can't we be spared for all the self righteous "knowitalls" on threads like this. Some people have very long holidays, and a relevant visa isn't available to all (myself included). If somebody asks an honest question, he deserves an honest answer, not some sour remarks about what a scum he must be who hasn't provided himself with an eternal non-immigrant xyz. Life isn't always as simple as that.

When I went to Nong Khai for 30 day extension on 60 day tourist visa they asked for my thai cell phone number and address. She then asked me a question I couldn't understand, English a bit broken but fine until this point. After a couple attempts to understand I politely asked her if I could return in a moment with someone that could speak in Thai for me. She said okay. My girlfriend came in they talked a little, my girlfriend looked totally confused and handed the lady her ID. She photo copied it, crossed out the address I had written and wrote in my girlfriends address even though I understood her saying I am not staying at that address. Stamped the 30 day extension and I was on my way home.

Got a 30 day extension at Chock Chai 3 weeks ago. no problems. Very quick. 30 mins. First time there and I will say that it was the friendliest Imm. office I have ever been into. Sitting (in an armchair) waiting for my application to clear and watching the staff go out of their way to help other applicants. After a few less pleasant experiences (Chiang Mai :) ) my faith has been restored.

Regards.

• 4 months later...

A question comes from what I have read on this thread.

I have previously been in TL on a Non-o visa but let it expire for various reasons and went back to NZ for 8 months and returned to TL one month ago on a Tourist visa because i will go back to NZ at the end of the year for a few months.

I am looking at the requirement for 30 day extension of address, I have rented the house I am in in TL for over a year now but my visa shows I have only entered a month ago.

Question: are they likely to ask why this is and would it be best to get a new rental agreement

Thanks to anyone who can help