Bringing New Diamond Ring To Country

ChiangMaiThai

According to my experience, most things get taxed/dutied at 30% against their value when coming into the airport. Then they try to tell you that "without invoice" it's 1/3 of it. So be prepared to pay at least 10-20,000 THB coming in (cash that is). If you don't keep the case and documenation on it, how is anyone supposed to know it's a brandnew item?

Of course you should declare it, but unless it's outrageously ornate/expensive jewelry (3000$ doesn't count for that), I don't think anyone would care/ask about it.

"Of course you should declare it..."

Why?

If you buy a watch or camera to be given as a gift, do you think there is a requirement to declare them? New clothes?

I'll assume it's for personal use or to be given as a gift. If so, I don't think you need to declare it.

If my thinking is wrong, which in my personal experience it's not, then someone will be along to set me straight.

1. Dutiable items

items that you did not have when you left Thailand and their quantities are not reasonable

for personal use or/and the total value of belongings is more than 10,000 baht.

items that are intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes e.g. molds

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

a $3000 diamond is actually only worth a fraction of that. Probably $300 for resale.

Really, a diamond loses 90% of its value after you buy it??? What is that based on?

fact :)

Rule of Thumb : you will not be surprised to hear that we have a quick "rule of thumb" which will give you a rough and ready guide as to how much to expect. We tend to say about 10 - 15% of the valuation, or retail, price. We used to reckon about 25% to 33% but retail mark-ups seem to have increased in the past few years. Please don't use this as an absolute figure, it is only a guideline.

Little snippet from a quick search

Edited by rabcbroon

I brought a diamond ring from the UK for my Mrs, in the box with the certificate just in my hand luggae and didnt even think about declaring it until I have seen this post.....!!! Who will know it's there anyway?? I am sure if I was actually stopped by customs I would explain the exact reason that I am proposing to my girlfiriend and like someone else mentioned they probably wouldnt know the difference between that and a cockroach!!! I am sure they would congratulate you and send you on your way!!!!

I did the exact same thing with our wedding rings and had no trouble!!

I don't want to declare. But would like to know what the law is. It is a gift. I would prefer to leave it in the box and everything. But with the receipt somewhere else, what is to stop me from telling an overzealous customs officer that I bought it for a few hundred dollars?

Jesus, put a toy bubble gum ring in the ring box and put it in your luggage. If asked about it, it's a joke on your wife. Put the real one in your pants pocket. Throw away the invoice, or mail it to yourself if you want it.

Gold and precious stones are on the "prohibited" list for import, so if you declare, you may be opening up a can of worms. Why would you want to go there? Don't worry so much. I have never seen anybody's pockets checked at the BKK airport (the U.S. is a different story). The odds are overwhelmingly with you.

"Of course you should declare it..."

Why?

If you buy a watch or camera to be given as a gift, do you think there is a requirement to declare them? New clothes?

I'll assume it's for personal use or to be given as a gift. If so, I don't think you need to declare it.

If my thinking is wrong, which in my personal experience it's not, then someone will be along to set me straight.

"Why?" Because I think one of the Thai Visa forum rules is not to advise anything illegal.... So take the "of course..." tongue-in-cheek, or take it at face value, depending on your morals and threshold for accomodating customs official's questions.

That said, the maximum personal items exemption is 20,000 THB (or so I was told on one of my recent trips by customs when I had about 80,000 THB worth of personal stuff and motorcycle gear in my bags). Everything above that is assessed at 30% (with official invoice), or less (upon cash payment, no receipt).

Telling a customs officer that a girl's diamond ring is one of your personal possessions would stretch it abit, that's really "why". But it's not too hard to put a ring somewhere incognito, for sure.

Sometimes, it's best not to ask...