Tesco

Went to Tesco yesterday,had this guy checking car boots & writting down #plates.

Is that a security meausure just for Songkran?They also had a policeman at the customer service desk as an observer.

Is this Tesco's answer to what is happening elsewhere?

Yep went to Lotus myself today with my motorbike which has a big black plastic locking box fitted on the back portion of the bike for safe dry storage.

The security guys asked to look under my seat (I guessed for a bomb?).

I told them if I had a bomb it would be in the big black box in the back of my bike.

But who ever it was who told them what to do didnt mention or "think" to tell them to search the carry all boxes so they didnt.

Think for themselves; it appears to me over and over its just not possible.

There is a book written by an Asian with the title "Can Asians think?"

:o I dont think I need to actually read the book.

Edited by ayakiawe

Personally, I would feel safe if there is a security check on places where there are a lot of people....like Tesco for instance.

Let's not forget what happened a few years ago in Bali; this could happen also in Thailand, BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or even Samui.... :o

We should be happy and feel safe with good security checks.

LaoPo

Laopao,no one is making a joke,it's great to see something or let me rephrase an attempt at something being done.I think a more visual presence by police could be a good deterent,god knows what else they do.I think the threat of terrorism on the island is taken very lightly by authorities ( Will never happen here ).

As others on this thread have said,it seems to be just going through the motions.

They should be training these people.

Personally, I would feel safe if there is a security check on places where there are a lot of people....like Tesco for instance.

Let's not forget what happened a few years ago in Bali; this could happen also in Thailand, BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or even Samui.... :o

We should be happy and feel safe with good security checks.

LaoPo

Not that i disagree , you are more than right on the possibilaty that there can be a attac on all this places . I think that for terrorists maybe Samui is even more attractive than Phuket now because the amount of tourist visiting has gone up and it is placed in the south of Thailand . If however you really want to make a lot of noise ( i know not the good word for it ) Phuket and Pattaya are still more attractive for such things as Samui . BKK itself has great opportunities for doing such a thing because of several reasons( capital city , big foreign company's , many people , etc etc etc ) . You never know what such people are thinking but security itself is a laughter , and not in Thailand alone . Everywhere around the world , if you want to do anything very bad , you can do it without any problem whatsoever ( i'm a chemical engineer , so making bombs or poisenous gas is a laughter for me even with common household goods ... i'm pretty sure that they can do it also :D ) . So , you can have as much control as you want , i wouldn't feel any safer for such kind of thread ....

• 2 months later...

Well, i do reallly appreciate some security measures but not if its obviously a farce just to show some action. Since Songkran, most of the times all motorbikes are stopped to lift the seat and check for arms or bombs. But nobody cares about any other luggage. So you might hold your unfriendly stuff in your hand having the guy from THAKSIN-security :o checking underneath your seat. Cars were never checked. So please be honest and explain to a dummy tourist where's the clue?

Scamp I have been told , by a fairly prominent figure on the island,that a meeting of top police personel has taken place regarding security.

I am told that several undercover personel are circulating in key areas & keeping a close eye on certain people.

That terror threat has been present for a while. I hope it is true mate & they are keeping an eye open.

I did not mean for that to sound alarmist in anyway.But anywhere in the worl is prone to an attack by these bastards. So just talking about makes feel , that they are getting their point accross & I bloody hate it,but sadly that is what the world is getting to today SAD.Rule by fear.

Scamp I have been told , by a fairly prominent figure on the island,that a meeting of top police personel has taken place regarding security.

I am told that several undercover personel are circulating in key areas & keeping a close eye on certain people.

That terror threat has been present for a while. I hope it is true mate & they are keeping an eye open.

I hope so.

The best Thai friend I ever had is a single mother of two in Lamai who regularly shops there.