Is Avoiding Chiang Mai A Good Idea?

webfact

ASK THE EDITOR

Is avoiding Chiang Mai a good idea?

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

Published on November 27, 2009

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has finally revealed his decision on the trip to Chiang Mai. He has taken the safe option - to skip the Chamber of Commerce meet-ing in the northern capital this weekend.

The decision was made after the pros and cons of the trip was discussed both inside and outside the House by those who mattered as well as analysts. There was an appar-ent consensus that whether he addresses the Chamber of Commerce conference via satellite or in person, there would be consequences.

Already, the focus is not on the meeting - which is being held to tackle a few crucial matters regarding the weak economy - but on the man who was scheduled to say just a few ceremonial words to participants.

If he had decided to go, this attention would have been greatly amplified, affecting virtually everyone from the hotel staff to the highest-rank-ing provincial officials.

However, if he had a safe and uneventful trip, it would have boosted him politically and had a positive impact on his international standing as well as helped his domestic agenda in some way. If there is to be any hope at all for national reconciliation, the head of the government should be able to visit any corner of the country - with or without the protection of commandos and helicopters.

The Chamber of Commerce suggested this week that he not go. Initial concerns that this might puncture Abhisit's pride and thus have a reverse effect did not materialise. Instead, the advice gave the premier an excuse to bow out gracefully.

If this had been a state-organised function, Abhisit said, he would surely be in Chiang Mai. "But this is organised by the private sec-tor and I have to listen to what the organisers say," he rea-soned.

The red shirts might now taunt him for being a "coward" for a few days, but that should be the least of his concerns.

His no-show means he has bowed following a relatively mild bluff from the red shirts - or a solid threat if you know something that we don't. This will only encourage the use of a similar strategy in the future.

Maybe the next time it will be in Udon Thani or another province where the red shirts are strong, unified and aggres-sive enough to mount such threats, or bluffs.

In the context of the Thai crisis, which has seen Government House occupied and an international confer-ence ambushed, the Chiang Mai affair might look small. And while it may appear Abhisit has little to lose by opting not to go, it may well wonder how much he might otherwise have gained if he had decided to go.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Abhisit should have gone to CM with sufficient support to whack all the trouble makers who have threatened to react to the visit, it now looks like they have frightened him off and it will be repeated next time he wants / they don't want a visit.

Despite all the weasel words he should have shown that it's not Takki and his lakkies who are in control -but the current government.

A poor decision, submitting to the school yard bully.

At this point he will not get extra vote from there any way, so he can focus on other problems elsewhere and increase his popularity. Who cares what CM think. After all they are the one choose to like Mt T. (sorry I forgot his new name). CM will see the light soon and figure out that Mr. T is only for himself and not for any one and not especially for Thai or CM folks. Oh yeah who cared what the RED shirt say or think

Clever move of Abhisit!

Thaksin and the Dems are playing a game of high profile chess.

Thaksin calls off his Red Revolution this weekend, Abhisit calls off his CM trip.

Takki thought to be clever by calling his Red errand boys back, so that any involvement in potential violence in CM could be denied!

The end-game, at least at present, would favor Abhisit!

Clever move therefor!

I just saw a caravan of police vans leaving Chiang Rai around 07:00 a.m. today and it seemed they were heading towards Chiang Mai. Looks like the security preparations/measures have not been called off.

Now I wonder who will be tasked with protecting the Citizens of Chiang Rai?

At this point he will not get extra vote from there any way, so he can focus on other problems elsewhere and increase his popularity. Who cares what CM think. After all they are the one choose to like Mt T. (sorry I forgot his new name). CM will see the light soon and figure out that Mr. T is only for himself and not for any one and not especially for Thai or CM folks. Oh yeah who cared what the RED shirt say or think

But the many Thai citizens, who live in Chiang Mai but don't vote for TRT/PPP/PTP, may feel that CM51 and their weapons have triumphed over democracy and freedom yet again. :)

Hi All.

The PM should have definitely gone to Chiang Mai, All he has done now is give the Red scum a lot more confidence

To create NO GO area's any where they like. Where next ? Khonkaen. Udon Thani Anywhere Abhisit wants to go now they will just threaten him again, The man has let himself down badly and probably lost a lot of much needed support.

Phupaman.

But the many Thai citizens, who live in Chiang Mai but don't vote for TRT/PPP/PTP, may feel that CM51 and their weapons have triumphed over democracy and freedom yet again. :)

Yes, absolutely. And there's quite a few of those, especially in the city area.

I just saw a caravan of police vans leaving Chiang Rai around 07:00 a.m. today and it seemed they were heading towards Chiang Mai. Looks like the security preparations/measures have not been called off.

Ive just seen possibly the same convoy going past Rimping/Ruamchok on the super Highway about 11am, maybe 15 or 16 in a row.

Hi All.

The PM should have definitely gone to Chiang Mai, All he has done now is give the Red scum a lot more confidence

To create NO GO area's any where they like. Where next ? Khonkaen. Udon Thani Anywhere Abhisit wants to go now they will just threaten him again, The man has let himself down badly and probably lost a lot of much needed support.

Phupaman.

Sorry, but the "creation of no-go areas" for prime ministers of Thailand has begun with the PAD and their Democrat Party collaborators, when Somchai was blocked from going to many southern provinces, where airports have been blocked last year on the news of his arrival, and his motorcade has been attacked. This is here is just a logical development of an existing and yet unsolved conflict scenario where hardly anyone has the moral high ground, especially not Abhisit.

Edited by justanothercybertosser

Sorry, but the "creation of no-go areas" for prime ministers of Thailand has begun with the PAD and their Democrat Party collaborators, when Somchai was blocked from going to many southern provinces, where airports have been blocked last year on the news of his arrival, and his motorcade has been attacked. This is here is just a logical development of an existing and yet unsolved conflict scenario where hardly anyone has the moral high ground, especially not Abhisit.

:) Sorry, but finding excuses for the actions of the CM 51 group is hilarious!

And why does Abhisit lack morallity, please explain!

By cancelling his visit to Chiang Mai, the PM has in effect accepted that might is right. Any proposed future trips to Red Shirt territory are now likely to see a similar pattern of death threats to keep the government's ministers from visiting.

They will therefore probably lose face, and votes at the next election, whenever that is - as per the Red Shirts' plan.

I suppose though, until political Thailand matures very considerably, and politicians go into the job to serve the electorate rather than themselves and their cronies, this unedifying game will continue. (I'm not holding my breath.) :)

:) Sorry, but finding excuses for the actions of the CM 51 group is hilarious!

He's just saying how it was. Loathe him for what he represented but the simple facts are Somchai was an elected PM who was in exactly the same shoes as Aphasit is now.

Edited by mca

Abhisit should have gone. He is the PM for all of Thailand. By not going he appears to have been cowed by threats of violence for the Red Shirts - thereby giving impetus to their infantile tactics.

In the US, any threat to harm the president is taken very seriously. How serious is it in land of 'mai pen rai' a.k.a. Thailand?

Abhisit could have ordered a change in venue at the last minute - to a place that was already secured. The attendees could have scrambled to the new location, leaving the protesters hamstrung.

How Abhisit comes out of this who knows? There are arguments he looks weak and arguements he is sensible. Another question though is how do LCM51 come out of this? They may appear strong but they also have again publicised themselves as a lunatic extremist group and this time with quite a few explosives and guns.

Discalimer not sayiong all reds are loony extrmeists and also not makinh any comment on yellows.

'.........triumphed over democracy in Thailand!!!!!!!' What sort of democracy? one controlled by the army and Chinese elite in Bangkok if you dont believe me count the number of army coups in the last 40 years and have a look at the constant all is well brainwashing as evident all around the streets on the BTS and everywhere in Bangkok

'toybits' date='2009-11-27 09:24:51' post='3166855']

The real question that still needs to be addressed is "Why would ordinary citizens need to be protected to this height anywhere in Thailand " .

The organization that made the invitation, the Chamber of Commerce, withdrew it. This left Abhisit in an awkward position. The Chamber neither wanted the PM murdered in Chiang Mai (along with others in attendance) nor did the Chamber want a safe Abhisit in the building while a riot occurred outside or spread throughout the streets of the city. In this light, Abhisit's decision appears balanced, rational and understandable.

At the end of the day, however, Chiang Mai is now separated from Bangkok and Thailand, in the hands of

goons, thugs and other assorted insurrectionists. Why are tourists now going to visit a city controlled by violent minded anti government factions? The central government now has ceded Chiang Mai to the worst of the reds. While events of recent months have been trending towards Abhisit and his coalition, the PM has to recover from this strongly negative development. Arresting some goons with their guns and explosives will be encouraging but not decisive in reversing the negative impact of this development.

Whether Abhisit does return to CM at some not too distant time, it's probably time to declare martial law in CM. Tourists aren't comfortable about going there any more. Thailand has to know the government is back in control of the city as CM is vital to Thailand. The reds can't be seen as controlling the government. If it must be, let the particular groups among the reds who are at the center of this wage a guerilla insurrection against troops enforcing martial law, and let the troops have it out with the CM splinter reds.

People in LOS and out need to know the government isn't a bunch of pushovers. Abhisit needs to regain his forward momentum. It boosted Abhisit to take on Cambodia and Thaksin the Cambodian; it isn't likely to hurt Abhisit to take on the most extreme and most violent factions of the reds in CM. There's nothing for Thailand to lose in doing this because CM already is lost to tourists, investors, the assessments of foreign governments and to Thais themselves.

Abhisit needs do this after a few more weeks pass.

'.........triumphed over democracy in Thailand!!!!!!!' What sort of democracy? one controlled by the army and Chinese elite in Bangkok if you dont believe me count the number of army coups in the last 40 years and have a look at the constant all is well brainwashing as evident all around the streets on the BTS and everywhere in Bangkok

A sick and emerging democracy obviously, in a country just emerging from feudalism, where the political-leaders are still mostly corrupt regional power-brokers, out for themselves and their friends. Roll-on the next generation of leaders !

As an optimist, I prefer to count the number of army coups in the last 15 years (one), where power was returned to the voters as promised & within 15 months.

Also what I like to view as improving press-freedom, with 'Red News' on-sale in a country with a Democrat-led government, and both red & yellow TV-channels available on satellite-TV.

Which is why I am sorry to see a senior politician feel unsafe to visit any part of the country, I must agree with mca, this is similar to PM-Somchai (admittedly a weak figure and really just a nominee) being unable to visit the South. But I don't recall his being met with thousands of ping-pong bombs, just an angry crowd, this 'Rak CM 51' mob really are an unsavoury bunch ... perhaps any truly-democratic red-shirt leaders might condemn at least their tactics ? Or perhaps not. :D

But I don't recall his being met with thousands of ping-pong bombs, just an angry crowd, this 'Rak CM 51' mob really are an unsavoury bunch ... perhaps any truly-democratic red-shirt leaders might condemn at least their tactics ? Or perhaps not. :)

Interesting that you mention this. Abhisit himself publicly chastised the PAD for their hounding of Somchai when that situation was in its hey-day. His statement indicated that he believed the PAD hand-clapper nonsense was distasteful, inappropriate, and undemocratic. I've looked high and low for a reference in a newspaper many times since then, but can't find one. I know I read it because at the time it made an impression on me. I didn't know much about Abhisit, so I carefully followed the news and was quite surprised when I read about this condemnation. This was when I first began to respect Abhisit. Not necessarily his party, but him personally.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I usually keep out of these political discusions. I certainly agree there shouldn't be no-go areas for a prime Minister.

A couple of things have got me thinking the last few weeks. I picked up the paper in a local Knoodle shop a couple of days ago. Someone had drawn a couple of large ears on a photo of the prime minister, also a couple of large feet had been drawn on his face , quite comical to me, but I suspect Quite an insult by Thai standards. Its not the first time I seen this. I've also had a few discusions recently at a few places where takings are down , it would appear a lot of the local farmers have less money in there pockets than they did under Mt T. probably more to do with International Markets but its easy to blame and hate the current prime minister. Something we brits are familiar with .