Acer D 725or Compaq Cq40-514 Au ?

Samuian

As Tesco has this offer out now - which one would you decide for?

The new Acer eMachine D725 laptop is a 14-inch dispaly laptop powered by the dual-core Intel Pentium T4200 processor with dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM.It features a 160GB hard disk drive, 8x DVD-Super Multi double-layer optical drive ,an integrated ‘low-luminance enhanced’ webcam, touch pad pointing device and quick launch keys.
CPU Athlon (Sable) QI-46 (2.1 GHz, 512 KB L2) Chipset AMD M780G, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics x 64MB

14.1 inch WXGA (1280x800) Memory 1 GB DDR2, HDD 250 G 5400 RPM, DVD Writer (Dual Layer Support)

Webcam Built-in, Two integrated omni-directional, USB 3, Firewire, D-Sub/VGA, HDMI , Card Reader 5 in 1

Wireless Lan IEEE 802.11 B, G, Bluetooth, LAN, Modem, Li-ion 6 Cell, 2.44 Kg.

The Acer D725 is an old model and if Tesco is asking 15,000 for it, it is overpriced.

The newer model with better specs is less than 15k.

i think you're mistaken with the D525 that is old, but the D725 is the latest modern model, there's nothing newer than this one actually.

The Acer D725 is an old model and if Tesco is asking 15,000 for it, it is overpriced.

The newer model with better specs is less than 15k.

i think you're mistaken with the D525 that is old, but the D725 is the latest modern model, there's nothing newer than this one actually.

What you are saying is right, but within the D725 series there are different models. The model with T4200 processor has model# D725-421G25Mi/C010. This appears to be the model that Tesco have on offer, and since this model is no longer being distributed by the Acer distributors I'm guessing that Tesco bought whatever the distributors had left for a cheap price when the new model came, and then they still sell it for the original price, which is why I said it was overpriced.

The new D725 model is called D725-431G25Mi/029 has T4300 processor, and has a list price of 13,900 excl VAT.

thanks for the many hints and tips - bought it and happy with it!

only wanted a reasonable priced laptop, no time machine!

and I am aware that in these days, if one walks out of the shop the article is outdated already...but not really!

• 2 weeks later...

Samuian....are you satisfied with your emachine?? I noticed today in a Carrefour flier that they have the d725 with 250gig hd @ 13,800 and may go for it. It seems like a lot of notebook for that price and I have not found any negative reviews on it. Seems it is a model targeted to the Asian market. would like to double the ram to 2g.

Before buying at carrefour, I'll check with the acer dealer direct and maybe up the ram.

Will most probably remove the windows 7 stater package and install good old XP.

Samuian....are you satisfied with your emachine?? I noticed today in a Carrefour flier that they have the d725 with 250gig hd @ 13,800 and may go for it. It seems like a lot of notebook for that price and I have not found any negative reviews on it. Seems it is a model targeted to the Asian market. would like to double the ram to 2g.

Before buying at carrefour, I'll check with the acer dealer direct and maybe up the ram.

Yep, happy with it, it got everything the "normal user" may need - yes up the RAM...

it's imho a fine piece - and yes the problem is that once you bought a piece like this, there is always a later model, with higher performance for a few baht less and.... I needed a use able new one, then not any time tomorrow and HERE on Samui, so there was this offer, no Carrefour down here yet.. plus I am not a scientist or graphic artist, so this model was just the right one!

For one: I like the keys integrated webcam....almost as good as on the lenovo machines..

Google for and you find plenty of Information..

the results:

Why? I would just run another version of windows 7. Maybe pro or Ultimate. Then dual boot with windows xp.

I run windows 7 on my netbook and it runs fine. On a proper laptop it should be fantastic.