Wheel Rims

ChiangMaiFun

Is this a new car from a dealer? My question is, why do you want to change the diameter of the factory suppied rims? What gain is there, apart from putting extra strain on the transmission, and higher top speed with less torque? Will you still be covered by the new car warantee?

Is this a new car from a dealer? My question is, why do you want to change the diameter of the factory suppied rims? What gain is there, apart from putting extra strain on the transmission, and higher top speed with less torque? Will you still be covered by the new car warantee?

Hi - yes I'm buying a Yaris and putting better suspencion in (softer) and I think it looks better with 17 inch sporty wheels - they supply boring 15 inch

Hi - yes I'm buying a Yaris and putting better suspencion in (softer) and I think it looks better with 17 inch sporty wheels - they supply boring 15 inch

Apart from looking boring, Toyota made them 15" to suit their engine and transmission specifications, which are....

1.5-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm

By my calculations, by increasing the rims to 17" you will loose 20% of your torque. To say nothing of the incredible strain you will place on the transmission.

I doubt very much if a dealer will cover this on warantee, but there again, this is Thailand :)

Apart from looking boring, Toyota made them 15" to suit their engine and transmission specifications, which are....

1.5-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 106 hp @ 6000 rpm; 103 lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm

By my calculations, by increasing the rims to 17" you will loose 20% of your torque. To say nothing of the incredible strain you will place on the transmission.

I doubt very much if a dealer will cover this on warantee, but there again, this is Thailand :)

really? wow good info thanks... maybe I should keep the wheels the right size and put rim covers on - cheers

Does the wheel itself not stay the same diameter ?

(i.e. with alloys and low profile rubber)

B400,000 or even B260,000 is nuts for rims on a B600,000 car. There are lots more options, I'd suggest shopping around a lot more.

I was quoted a similar price for 22" rims a while back - 17's for a Yaris should be significantly cheaper even if they are imported.

B400,000 or even B260,000 is nuts for rims on a B600,000 car. There are lots more options, I'd suggest shopping around a lot more.

I was quoted a similar price for 22" rims a while back - 17's for a Yaris should be significantly cheaper even if they are imported.

40,000 down to 26,000 not 400,000 down to 260,000

Toyota main dealer just confirmed that all warantees are VALID as they are fitting the wheels - I'll check diameters etc. you'resaying that the tyre is not so thick so diameter is same?

Why int he world would the warranty be void? Then again this is Thailand...

Depends on the brand of rim and what they wrap them in.

For the simple reason that the vehicle is being overworked, and increasing strain on the transmission. Nothing to do with the brand of the rim, it's the diameter that counts.

Unless you put ultra low profile tyres on, your speedometer will be in error because of the increased diameter.

To my knowledge all automotive manufactures in that sell in the west (same manufactures that sell in Thailand) state that any modification from their original issued parts or equipment can and may nullify the warranty. AKA; tires, rimes, suspension, etc...

To my knowledge all automotive manufactures in that sell in the west (same manufactures that sell in Thailand) state that any modification from their original issued parts or equipment can and may nullify the warranty. AKA; tires, rimes, suspension, etc...

I understand - but Toyota are putting it in writing that they changed the wheels and rims - well at least the dealership is putting it in writing (Toyota Lanna). I am double checking this... I was planning to change the suspension too of course not just the wheels!

To answer the OP, 26,000 Baht for 17" rims and tyres seems about right (obviously depends on the brand).

If you want to compare prices, drive along the road from the Narawat bridge to the super highway - there are loads of rim/tyre shops there.

Just a quick question - if you're putting on bigger rims, shouldn't you be going for harder suspension springs rather than softer ones?

To answer the OP, 26,000 Baht for 17" rims and tyres seems about right (obviously depends on the brand).

If you want to compare prices, drive along the road from the Narawat bridge to the super highway - there are loads of rim/tyre shops there.

Just a quick question - if you're putting on bigger rims, shouldn't you be going for harder suspension springs rather than softer ones?

Thanks... they say TEIN? sorry I dont know much about them but they fit them day in and day out and say the wheels are perfectly safe and everyone puts in TEIN suspension which makes the ride softer? not sure if the actual suspension is harder or softer? but the drive is softer (they say)

http://www.autocarparts.com/p_TEIN/

I must emphasise that this is the main Toyota dealership here... and they guarantee it does not effect warantee etc.

I understand - but Toyota are putting it in writing that they changed the wheels and rims - well at least the dealership is putting it in writing (Toyota Lanna). I am double checking this... I was planning to change the suspension too of course not just the wheels!

This is Thailand anything is possible read the fine print which maybe hard to come by in English. And for your information there is not many new vehicles solid in Thailand that would meet western safety standards. And yes I bought my vehicle from Toyota Lanna.

This is Thailand anything is possible read the fine print which maybe hard to come by in English. And for your information there is not many new vehicles solid in Thailand that would meet western safety standards. And yes I bought my vehicle from Toyota Lanna.

I'm going in with a Thai friend today... if there is any doubt I'll stick with the tyres provided and find a nice looking cover for them

I do think those 17 inch wheels look more sexy though!

I'm going in with a Thai friend today... if there is any doubt I'll stick with the tyres provided and find a nice looking cover for them

Nothing to stop you putting on 15" mags instead of the pressed steel. Depending on choice they can look pretty sexy too :)

Nothing to stop you putting on 15" mags instead of the pressed steel. Depending on choice they can look pretty sexy too :)

I think this maybe the way to go...cheers just think Yaris looks better with skirt (around the car and in the passenger seat!) and nice wheels

Toyota main dealer just confirmed that all warantees are VALID as they are fitting the wheels - I'll check diameters etc. you'resaying that the tyre is not so thick so diameter is same?

Woops... numerical dyslexia must have kicked in with the hangover this morning...

26 k is a reasonable price IMO.

Woops... numerical dyslexia must have kicked in with the hangover this morning...

26 k is a reasonable price IMO.

:D I know the feeling... anyhow after all this - the 17 inch ARE the exact same diameter as the 15 inch but with low profile tyres hence the warantee is intact PHEW!

thanks for all the comments... now... they can't supply the car :) after all there is no stock for 3 months! Jeeze :D

:D I know the feeling... anyhow after all this - the 17 inch ARE the exact same diameter as the 15 inch but with low profile tyres hence the warantee is intact PHEW!

thanks for all the comments... now... they can't supply the car :) after all there is no stock for 3 months! Jeeze :D

Iam interested to know what size these 17inch tyres are.

Your Yaris is fitted with 185/60/15 tyres (602.99mm Overall Diameter), playing around on a rolling diameter calculator i cannot find any 17inch tyres that are the same, a 215/40/17 is close though, it has a 603.75mm overall diameter

Iam interested to know what size these 17inch tyres are.

Your Yaris is fitted with 185/60/15 tyres (602.99mm Overall Diameter), playing around on a rolling diameter calculator i cannot find any 17inch tyres that are the same, a 215/40/17 is close though, it has a 603.75mm overall diameter

Jeeze man I don't know... the rims are 15 inch not the tyres and I am going to 17 inch rims - the tyres supplied are 'thicker' for 15 inch rims and I'm going to low profile... so the diameter is the same? (I mean with the tyres attached).

Why int he world would the warranty be void? Then again this is Thailand...

Depends on the brand of rim and what they wrap them in.

For the simple reason that the vehicle is being overworked, and increasing strain on the transmission. Nothing to do with the brand of the rim, it's the diameter that counts.

Unless you put ultra low profile tyres on, your speedometer will be in error because of the increased diameter.

Oh, I understand the reasoning and I read it the first time.

It just stands that I have never heard of a dealership actually caring. I amd friends have done many different mods and have had no problem with the dealerships in the US. Pretty much as long as you keep it to mid pies and back, wheels, springs, audio, short throws and other minor mods you are fine. Headers and gears can be covered if you buy things like Ford racing and have them installed at the dealer.

I don't see why he would have a problem if he decked out his Yaris in TRD, all added on by the dealership.

But whatever, each dealership is different.