Work Permit-copy Of Degree?

any time i've applied for different work permits, i've been asked to fill out a form detailing my educational background, simple enough.

i've just been informed that a friend has been asked to scan his degree, is this a new policy and has anyone else gone this route rather than just filling out the form?

I believe it might be something to do with stamping out the influx of sex-tourists with Khao San Road degrees, but I'mk mainly thinking of English teaching. I dunno much since it all began just before I accepted my invitation to ever travel to Thailand to teach English in 2004 (2547) but it might be a fair enough sort of reaction to the foreigners taking advantage of the exchange rates from back then, to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Too bad that there's a little good wheat gets lost in the process.

My experience a few weeks ago.......

I had to show all original degree qualifications and original academic transcripts at the Ministry of Education, Immigration and the Ministry of Labour.

The Ministry of Education, in order to support the transfer of my Tourist Visa to a NON-B visa, by means of a Sponsor letter addressed to Immigration.

Immigration inspected all original documentation and even ran their fingers over the embossed University crest of the degree certificates. Once they were satisfied, they transferred my Tourist Visa to a NON-B for 3 months. Cost 2000 THB. Half an hour at Cheang Wattana.

They also insisted on a genuine teaching qualification.

Once the Non-B was issued by Immigration, I went to the Ministry of labour to apply for my work permit. Same again here, all original documents were inspected, together with my passport and the NON-B visa.

One week later I collected my Work Permit; 3,750 THB

Next I will need to go back to Immigration, to get a one year extension on my NON-B, with my Work Permit and company documents as proof of my teaching position.

All very straight forward.

Frm-Bkk

I recently received a work permit a couple weeks ago (for a non-English teaching position) and did not have to provide any official documentation from my schools proving my educational background. Based on the above posts they may only require official proof of educational background if you are an English teacher, but that's just a guess.

I've always been employed in Sales/Mgmt here and never had to scan my degree, my friend is being hired into middle mgmt and this is his first thai work permit application, just curious if it was only him or soon to be everyone. thanks for the replies