Tiger Woods- "i Need A Kobe Special"

globerunner4

Tiger Woods is as American as Barak Obama, neither care much for Thailand except as it may help them in their own life.

Like most expats, huh? :)

Ouch! :D

A few lines for the OP.

Tiger Woods is so rich that he owns lots of expensive cars. Now he has a hole in one.

What's the difference between a car and a golf ball? Tiger can drive a ball 400 yards.

Tiger Woods wasn't seriously injured in the crash, but he's still below par.

What were Tiger Woods and his wife doing out at 2.30 in the morning? They went clubbing

Tiger Woods crashed into a fire hydrant and a tree. He couldn’t decide between a wood and an iron.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually think the father's race doesn't have much to do with it and it's more the fact that Tiger Wood's completely disregards his being half thai in the media and the American media has embraced him fully as black. So that's the direction he ran with.

Actually, in the past I've seen a couple of sit-down interviews where he talked -- briefly -- about his Thai heritage. However, he's lived in America his whole life, and as such isn't any more Thai than I am Irish...even though my ancestors came from Ireland.

Ever since Tiger first came to prominence, I immediately noticed the lack of interest or press coverage over a person who is half Thai. Even amongst Thais who are aware that he is one of the greatest sportsman whoever lived, they show little interest or enthusiasm for the fact that he is half Thai through his mother.

When I first came here in the early seventies, the country was still "overrun" by GI's and of course many shacked up and married Thai girls.

I vividly recall the looks of revulsion on the faces of Thais whenever they saw a Thai girl walking down the street, hand in hand with a black man, to say nothing of the disparaging comments they would make behind their backs.

There is a lot of ignorance here that a better education system and government public service campaigns could start to address, in time, but it will never happen because nobody cares. They just don't care.

Once again I find myself in significant disagreement with you. First, I see a reasonable amount of coverage of Tiger Woods on Thai t.v. sports/news programs, considering that golf is a sport relatively "off the map" in terms of international competition in this country.

As to some of your other points -- I wonder if (as you put it) the fact that Thailand was once ""overrun" by GI's and of course many shacked up and married Thai girls" is part of the xenophobia some people believe exists in this country (although I have still failed to see it).

In the not-that-distant past, there was a look of revulsion when male/female couples walked along holding hands, regarding of race or mixed race. In Bangkok that has changed, but up country I still find it far less common. Yesterday at Siam Skytrain station I saw that same look of disdain for a Thai couple who were kissing in public.

It's not that they don't care. Thais are not yet at that point of public activism that you see in the West. And, perhaps in a third world country you are worrying about other things. You might want to take a look at Maslow's hierarchy.

Maybe NO One Cares

And why should they care?? So someone crashed his car in the middle of the night. What makes that so news worthy, just 'cos he is Tiger woods?

Gruesome accidents happen everyday, do you read about them? No... why 'cos its not someone famous?

I mean who cares, he plays golf for a living, its not like he's a leading AIDS researcher who died on ths cusp of discovering the cure.....

I think there are two reasons why people care about this incident. First, there have been a lot of rumors lately that a man who portrays himself as a "Mr. Clean" and posts professional family photos on his website is, indeed, having an affair. That ties in with speculation as to where he was going at 2 or 3 a.m....to the 7/11 for a donut? Second, although apparently he is not required to do so, he has dictated (so far) that he will not talk to the police about the situation. Most Americans would. Therefore it appears he is reserving special treatment for himself because of his celebrity status.

Let's not forget that Tiger has always "used" the Press to further his career and his endorsement deals, and his foundation. Now, he is going to pay the price as he find that the Press is going to use him for a while.

Tiger is making the same mistake we have seen countless politicians make. If there's a personal issue, it won't go away. Do your mea culpa and then you'll be able to get on with life.

And just in case you're wondering...I'm a big fan of Tigers. But in this he has made a serious error.

Edited by phetaroi

he did what many of us have considered ( me anyway) and in the end did not do..fool around on his wife ( allegedly)..the best move I never did..if he did screw around, it'll definitely mess up his sex life with the Swede..i saw the alleged gf on entertainment tonight in Vancouver this eve..she apparantly is a real mover..aged 34.. slept with Derek Jeter.. A Rod, etc etc..so they claim on the gossip tv show..oy..he's in deep doo doo now.. up the proverbial creek without a paddle...btw..his lookalike works at the BKK rot fie..the spittin' image..no kiddin'..maybe a a distant relative of Mrs Woods Sr.

He has a problem because he is clearly hiding something that might impact the "morality" clauses in his commercial contracts. His entire commercial image is based on Mr. Nice Guy Perfect. Who knows, maybe he will be forced to retire in Thailand?

Edited by Jingthing

He has a problem because he is clearly hiding something that might impact the "morality" clauses in his commercial contracts. His entire commercial image is based on Mr. Nice Guy Perfect. Who knows, maybe he will be forced to retire in Thailand?

Have to say JT, there is certainly more to the story than what has been released. The Tiger spin machine is certinaly in overdrive at the moment. You have probably hit the nail on the head, that a lot of this is due to protecting his commercial contracts. The problem for people that portray themselves as Mr Clean, is that when shit flies, it sticks really well.

While it is certainly understandable that posters want to veer this off to Mr. Woods' present predicament, this is still ThaiVisa, and topics need to be Thai-related.  So please keep that in mind and keep posts on the original question of his popularity or lack thereof with the Thai people.

Thanks.

Why should one who is not interested in Golf care about a golf player - no matter how rich he is? How many Thais are genuinely interested in Golf? - Yeah, right - not so many. The big majority of Thai look at Golf as a past time for the upper elite - something they don't have access to. There are so few Thai that could identify themselves with a rich golf player. There are so many more that could identify themselves with a top boxer or a top Muay Thai athlete.

Personally I also would not call him an athlete - you really don't need much athleticism to play golf.

No need to start a debate about golf athleticism mate.

Re Tiger Woods, I read somewhere that his mom advised not to marry a local for various reasons. Good thing I am not Tiger Woods.

Would like to find out more about his lil accident at 2:45 am. Where was he heading at that hour, to the driving range? Seems to me he should have been heading to driving school. :)

Drives by touch, Is supposedly reported as having a 'Mai Noi' and his mother is Thai. He might claim not to be a thai but there is a striking resemblance. :D:D

Why should one who is not interested in Golf care about a golf player - no matter how rich he is? How many Thais are genuinely interested in Golf? - Yeah, right - not so many. The big majority of Thai look at Golf as a past time for the upper elite - something they don't have access to. There are so few Thai that could identify themselves with a rich golf player. There are so many more that could identify themselves with a top boxer or a top Muay Thai athlete.

Personally I also would not call him an athlete - you really don't need much athleticism to play golf.

No need to start a debate about golf athleticism mate.

Re Tiger Woods, I read somewhere that his mom advised not to marry a local for various reasons. Good thing I am not Tiger Woods.

Would like to find out more about his lil accident at 2:45 am. Where was he heading at that hour, to the driving range? Seems to me he should have been heading to driving school. :)

Drives by touch, Is supposedly reported as having a 'Mai Noi' and his mother is Thai. He might claim not to be a thai but there is a striking resemblance. :D:D

Am I the only one that thinks there is more to the golf club in this story? Where's Steve Williams when we need to ask him if Tiger is missing his driver?

Oh yea Thai related, he played here a couple of times in the JW Cup.

I can’t remember where I have heard this, and have no idea whether its true or not….

In his earlier days as a half Thai he wanted to represent Thailand in one or another Asian golf tournament. Apparently he was dealt with rather poorly based on his mother’s social status and his father’s race.

Once famous and clearly emerging as a world # 1 he was asked to represent Thailand in one or another golf competition, he told them to get lost and that is why he has not been such a huge hit here.

Has anyone else heard this story ?

I can’t remember where I have heard this, and have no idea whether its true or not….

In his earlier days as a half Thai he wanted to represent Thailand in one or another Asian golf tournament. Apparently he was dealt with rather poorly based on his mother’s social status and his father’s race.

Once famous and clearly emerging as a world # 1 he was asked to represent Thailand in one or another golf competition, he told them to get lost and that is why he has not been such a huge hit here.

Has anyone else heard this story ?

I recall hearing something along those lines. Certainly from my understanding, it was only when he started to become successful did ole Somchai want to deal with him properly.

Tiger Woods is very big within the growing golfing community in Thailand. Not because of his Thai heritage, but because he is worlds number one. His Thai heritage is well acknowledged though, and his pairing with Thongchai Jaidee for the first two days in last months HSBC Champions tournament in China last month made headlines (at least on the sport pages) in the local papers, Especially since Thongchai made the comment that Tiger had used some Thai phrases when speaking to him.

All this stuff about not being liked because he has rejected Thailand or Tiger having been “dissed” by Thailand is nonsense.

Tiger is not the only major US sports star of Thai hertige. When was the last time you saw anything about Johnny Damon (who lives in the same devlopment as Tiger) in a Thai newspaper. But, they are considered Americans that happen to have Thai mothers. The Thai gossip rags are way too tied up in local gossip to spend much time on American stars.

TH

Tiger Woods is very big within the growing golfing community in Thailand. Not because of his Thai heritage, but because he is worlds number one. His Thai heritage is well acknowledged though, and his pairing with Thongchai Jaidee for the first two days in last months HSBC Champions tournament in China last month made headlines (at least on the sport pages) in the local papers, Especially since Thongchai made the comment that Tiger had used some Thai phrases when speaking to him.

All this stuff about not being liked because he has rejected Thailand or Tiger having been “dissed” by Thailand is nonsense.

Tiger is not the only major US sports star of Thai hertige. When was the last time you saw anything about Johnny Damon (who lives in the same devlopment as Tiger) in a Thai newspaper. But, they are considered Americans that happen to have Thai mothers. The Thai gossip rags are way too tied up in local gossip to spend much time on American stars.

TH

Good points as usual TH.

On that note, when was the last time you heard about Lewis Hamilton's mother / roots? Is he considered Thai? I doubt it. Willing to guess that 99.9% of the local population here wouldn't know of his Thai roots. At least he gets paid not to crash his car.

Thailand offered him citizenship and he told them he did not want it so Thai people don't like him for this reason.

Thailand wasn't interested in Tiger earlier in his career, i.e., before he was famous. Then he got famous and they changed their mind. So, what would you have told them?

As far as whether "Thai people" like him or not is .. like everything else about Thailand .. very individual.

When was the last time you saw anything about Johnny Damon (who lives in the same devlopment as Tiger) in a Thai newspaper?

Couple of reasons.

1 - Thailand > Baseball?

2 - Tiger is much higher in the sports-star food chain than Damon

[quote name='bkkjames' date='2009-12-01 15:56:36' post='3176382'

On that note, when was the last time you heard about Lewis Hamilton's mother / roots? Is he considered Thai? I doubt it. Willing to guess that 99.9% of the local population here wouldn't know of his Thai roots. At least he gets paid not to crash his car.

Are you in possession of secret information? :)

This was news to me, so looked him up in Wiki.....

His Mom is white and his Dad is of Grenadian origin.

There are so few Thai that could identify themselves with a rich golf player. There are so many more that could identify themselves with a top boxer or a top Muay Thai athlete.

Or David Beckham.

Well tennis is not exactly a mass participation game in Thailand, and I doubt that a majority of Thais have ever seen a tennis court.

Yet the estimable Paradorn Srichapan was feted for years and well is known and adored throughout Thailand - and this was before he married Miss World!

In my humble experience, any Thai you speak to knows very well who Tiger Woods is but shows little enthusiasm to support him or even talk about him.

All you guys out there are entitled to your opinions, and I respect that, but there is no doubt in my mind that racism is the root cause of the Thais' indifference to Tiger.

I think some of you live in up market areas of Bangkok, mainly mix with other high earning farangs and upper- middle class Thais, many who have been educated overseas,(or at some of the few select schools in Bangkok), and you get a false impression of what Thailand is all about.

Most of you probably speak very little Thai, and have no idea what even the so -called Hi So Thais are saying to each other and behind your back. When you are present, of course they will speak the PC stuff as far as racism is concerned - they are smart enough to keep those thoughts to themselves, but many are every bit as racist as your 'ignorant' working class man on the street and in the villages who are more inclined to say what they think.

Indeed it was only after working and living here for eight years in the mid seventies, early eighties, that I started to learn enough Thai to start to understand that Thais are not all they appear to be on the surface, and I started to realise how little I knew about them. Dig under the surface of most educated, suave Thais and you will find a racist.

Just look at they way they talk about and regard Indians, many of whom are Thai citizens and have been here for generations. They are still looked down upon and regarded in an extremely derogatory manner.

Yes, you may well ask if The UK is any better? Probably not, but at least they have laws that try to control the excesses of racisim, and I honestly feel that in my life time, people of different colour have come to be accepted and assimiltaed far more into English society than they have in most Asian countries.