Normal Thai Driving Licence : Valid Up To How Much Weight ?

PXR5

With the normal farang 5-year driving license, you can drive up to how many kilos (total weight of car) ?

I prefer to know in European kilos ! ... kopun kap

Would it be something like 3.500 kilos ?

Maybe more ?

Or is it unlimited ?

The reason for asking is ... can we drive heavy trucks ? Or do we need a special driving license ?

I do not need a commercial license ! It's just for the fun of driving !

I saw this most gorgeous US military truck on sale !

Thanks for your info.

You may drive any vehicle which has a "tabien lek" as opposed to a "tabien yai".

An example of "tabien lek" - a small delivery truck or van may have registration number บจ - 1234. This is classed as a regular passenger vehicle or personal use rigistered vehicle, not so much determined by weight, but by over-all size of the vehicle. Anyone can drive this on a normal license. (Some exceptions with commercially registered vehicles such as taxi's & limousines).

A larger vehicle may have a registration number 80-1234. This is a "tabien yai" and you will need any one of three license types to drive this depending on whether the vehicle is rigid, articulated &/or carrying hazardous materials.

You may drive any vehicle which has a "tabien lek" as opposed to a "tabien yai".

An example of "tabien lek" - a small delivery truck or van may have registration number บจ - 1234. This is classed as a regular passenger vehicle or personal use rigistered vehicle, not so much determined by weight, but by over-all size of the vehicle. Anyone can drive this on a normal license. (Some exceptions with commercially registered vehicles such as taxi's & limousines).

A larger vehicle may have a registration number 80-1234. This is a "tabien yai" and you will need any one of three license types to drive this depending on whether the vehicle is rigid, articulated &/or carrying hazardous materials.

Thanks a lot.

That was very fast, informative and short ! Good job !

Thanks a lot.

That was very fast, informative and short ! Good job !

There are vehicles as small as 2 door pickups with tabien yai, like the atm service pickups and some minibuses like Hi Ace. There are some really large trucks with tabien lek.

There is one more restriction, any tabien not more than 7 passengers/seats for farang driver.

I think truck driving may also be one of the occupations reserved for Thais under the Labour Law which raises an additional problem. However I know an expat who owns a transportation company and he frequently drives one of his own semi-trailers, although he is vague about the legality of how he does this.

I think truck driving may also be one of the occupations reserved for Thais under the Labour Law which raises an additional problem. However I know an expat who owns a transportation company and he frequently drives one of his own semi-trailers, although he is vague about the legality of how he does this.

truck driving without makng money is legal if it has tabien lek. I checked it out when I needed a watertruck 5 years back. They could register it (5 ton Hino) without watertank on tabien lek.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the heavy vehicle driving test open to aliens?

Assuming it was possible to get the license: accepted you can't get a job as a truck driver as this is something a Thai can easily do, BUT, what about being an owner operator?

i.e. Running your own truck moving trailers for reward?

Is the heavy vehicle driving test open to aliens?

Assuming it was possible to get the license: accepted you can't get a job as a truck driver as this is something a Thai can easily do, BUT, what about being an owner operator?

i.e. Running your own truck moving trailers for reward?

Quote from another board member. Here.

Hmmm, thanks Soundman. In that thread Khonwan said:

บ2 is limited to "own business" driving a truck with a black on white reg plate (not yellow plate, which is for hire

Well that's no good then because as an owner driver i would be for hire & reward.

Slightly off topic, anyone know if they have any laws governing truck drivers hours as we have here in the UK & Europe?

• 2 months later...
There is one more restriction, any tabien not more than 7 passengers/seats for farang driver.

That's interesting, I have a Hiace with 8 passenger seats in the back and two up-front, been stopped at checkpoints a couple of times, but this hasn't been mentioned - admittedly with only 1 passenger! I better get my spanners out and remove the back row of seats! I have a 4 number plate (blue numbers, white background), what sort of tabien do I have?

Trev

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Hiace with 8 passenger seats in the back and two up-front, been stopped at checkpoints a couple of times, but this hasn't been mentioned - admittedly with only 1 passenger!
I am driving a Ssangyongg Stavic, 11 seats including driver. Never had a problem at a checkpoint even with a completely loaded car, all with family members. The plate is blue on white (private use with more than 7 seats).

I have a Hiace with 8 passenger seats in the back and two up-front, been stopped at checkpoints a couple of times, but this hasn't been mentioned - admittedly with only 1 passenger!
I am driving a Ssangyongg Stavic, 11 seats including driver. Never had a problem at a checkpoint even with a completely loaded car, all with family members. The plate is blue on white (private use with more than 7 seats).

problems may occur if you have an accident with following policereport and insuranceclaim. problems with breaking the law (policefine), insuranceclaim and labour department for driving a vehicle only thai citizens can drive even if you dont get payed for it