Christmas Present Ideas...

dsprtliving

So, after living here for ages, I'm going home this Christmas for the first time in 9 years and I'd kinda like to bring home something a little special for the family back home. I've taken along little souvenirs on previous visits, but I'd like to take them a gift/gifts that will be extra special. Therefore, I thought I'd fish here on the forum for ideas and stories from you guys regarding gifts taken back home that have really had that "wow" effect on the family or good ideas that went terribly wrong along the way. For example, my ex decided one year after we'd been together a while to present my mother with an expensive swath of really nice Thai silk. Unfortunately, it was that neon pink that you see sometimes in traditional Thai dresses, so i think it remains neatly tucked away in the attic of my parents house to this day. Any good success stories or ideas out there guys? :)

mine just been to argos,and bought 150pounds worth of watches,8 in all i think good bargins there,not sure if same price in los,but look better coming from abroad.

(sorry read post wrong thought you were going back to thailand,mai pen rai.)

Edited by true blue

Personally, I love the Playmobil idea, which originally appeared in another thread, but I'm now realising has an infinite variety of uses.

However, in this instance, I think Thai gold chains would be an excellent gift that keeps on giving. If I was heading back to the West, I would absolutely include this in my Christmas gift list.

just bought at TESCO this afternoon:

thats what my folks back in Europe like most - Thai sweets of all kinds.

Plus, I will still have to buy tons of dried Mango and Papaya next week before heading to cold Europe for XMas - there would be a major uproar if I arrive there without these things....

post-43883-1259682490_thumb.jpg

Given the state of the Pound, and the UK-economy in general, perhaps Red-Cross-style food-parcels might be welcome ? :)

But seriously, a bottle of honey or our locally-made (in Chiang Mai / Samoeng) strawberry-jam, usually goes down well.

Have a good trip ! Don't forget your thermal-underwear ! :D

No offense to the other posters, but I think that the gold chains here are absolutely hideous. If those are your mom's or sister's "style," go for it, but all of the ladies I know well would never wear one of those. Maybe I'm just a silver person, though!

Last year, I brought home a lot of the cheap silk purses from the night market (or JJ, I'm assuming). Those were a huge hit! Very different from the purses at home, and much cheaper. Also, silk pillowcases were well-received. And those sets that they have at the market that have placemats (silk, bamboo, etc.) with chopsticks and napkins. I know that the night market goods may seem touristy to someone who has lived here a long time, but everyone loved those gifts.

I also got a lot of my gifts at the Thai Craft Fair (which is now weekly until Christmas). I got jewelry, potholders, baskets, soap, Christmas ornaments, etc. For most of the gifts, I kept track of which charity/village/hill tribe produced them. I was able to find information about each organization online to include with the presents. My family loved that! They thought that the presents were great, but they also loved the fact that their presents helped support bar girls getting out of prostitution, and kids with disabilities, and a struggling hill tribe, etc. It made the gifts much more meaningful.

I agree with the food idea, as long as they're good treats. Coconut candy was popular with my relatives last year.

If your family members are big readers, books about Thailand could be a good idea. I know, I know, that sounds boring and it IS theoretically something you could get in your home country. But, I have found many awesome books at the "Thailand" section of the bookstores here. My family loved getting them as gifts. They seemed to enjoy reading more about the place I live. And I don't mean travel guide type books. I mean ones on topics that may be interesting to the specific gift receiver. A brought home a book about ladyboys/gender issues in Thailand, a book about the mystery of Jim Thompson, and a book written by a POW who worked on the Death Railway. The whole family ended up passing them around and sharing. Maybe they could get the books at home somehow, but they probably wouldn't.

Silk shawls and scarves come in popular colors as well as florescent. My wife buys them for the female rellies in Australia with great results.

Kids get dolls in national and hills tribe dress, model tuktuks, ornaments carved from wood and buffalo horn. I shop for family all year, not just a last minute rush at Christmas, then it's all ready to go when I go back.

Make sure you declare wood and animal products at your customs, I've never had a problem yet though.

Sorry that I cannot be constructive in assisting you by making sensible proposals. My mind is totally consumed by the possibility of you bringing me back a few crates of Loch Fyne kippers, a hundredweight of Bounty bars, and a few cartons of Rothmans cigarettes. I won't hold my breath. :)

I would stick to things that can be consumed (or easily thrown out). Nothing worse than getting a photo / sculpture etc of a place that only those giving them to you have an emotionally attachment to.

Now that I got that off my chest, what about some nice Thai Silk? :)

Now if I worked for TAT and wanted to reach out to family members and friends of those living / or visiting here, this is what I would do.

AT COST! I would....

Put together a nice packaged box of goodies - all things Thai. A few things that evoke images of the country's better side. Things like Lanna Teas, dried tropical fruits, flowers, nice postcards, DVD, maybe some scented candles etc and a nice invitation letter from the new TAT boss.

These would be available in the duty free shops at the airport I guess.