Is Government Health Insurance Mandatory For Employees?

heretostay

Hello all,

I used to be in the Thai health insurance scheme through my previous employer and was fully satisfied with the services of the hospital I was registered with.

Now I have a new employer and they are avoiding all of my questions about government health insurance; to keep a minimum coverage, I've signed onto my employer's group health plan with a private insurance company. (It's minimal, but better than nothing.)

My question is this: is the employer obliged by law to register me (as an employee) with government health insurance? (Yes, I have a non-immigrant B visa with extension and a valid work permit through this employer.) If not, can I register directly with the social security office?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Hi,

In answer to your questions, to the best of my knowledge, a) no, your employer isn't obliged under Thai law to register you and B ) yes, you can register directly at a social security office.

Sorry if I'm mistaken and this information is incorrect, but I believe that if it's been less than six months since you were covered under your last employer you can go and sign up to pay on your own. I even think (though I've never tested this for myself) that you are still covered during this half-year period, after which time, if you don't register yourself, there would be a waiting period before you are covered again.

You sign up at a social security office, using you passport details (take your passport with you), of course having your Social Security card will expedite the process :)

Employees at private schools are no longer in the system unless they pay on their own.

Aussiebebe is correct. After you stop paying you can still collect benefits for six months.

Before the end of that six months you can sign up to pay yourself. The 'pay yourself' fee is normally 432฿ per month.

When I signed up the soc sec office was very helpful. There is a minimum amount of paperwork involved.

If your new employer is supposed to be in the system is a different matter. If you ask soc sec, they'll tell whether they should be, or not.

If they are, and aren't signing you up, they'll call your employer and get them squared away.

Of course that may not go over so well with your employer...

Thanks everyone.

Indeed, the new employer is a private language school. I had heard that they are no longer obliged to register employees (even Thai employees) with social security, and the above post confirms that (thanks, TerryLH).

OK, I will attempt to sign myself up at social security. Anyone know exactly which documents I'll need?

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to the social security office (on Silom Road) to get things going. I learned the following:

- Employees of private language schools are no longer allowed to register in the social security system. ull stop! I'm not altogether convinced that Thai employees are similarly persona non grata, but we foreigners certainly are.

- I could have signed up as a private member of social security (not through an employer), if I had done it within six months of leaving my last job (it's been a year). The M39 resgistration form clearly says this, so I think it applies to Thai people as well.

- I then asked if I could sign up for social security if I were here on a retirement visa/extension and the official clearly said that that would be out of the question.

Fortunately, my employer has a group policy with a good health insurer, so I have some coverage; not sure what I will do when I retire, but I have a few years to figure that out.

Thanks again for your help everyone.