Plugs, Power , Uk Computers In Thailand

themangostays

:o Hi,

I'm moving to Thailand in June and want to bring my current home PC with me. (I live in the UK). Can I get away with buying a simple plug adapter for my current multi plug to run my PC, monitor and speakers? (please say yes..)

Thanks

Adam

Yes.

Six months later, when a power surge cause an expensive component to blow up and you spent a fair amount of time and money figuring out which one to replace, remember that a UPS is still recommended computer equipment in Thailand. There are cheap ones for 3,000 baht (40 UKP) available anywhere, they don't do anything intelligent like powering down the PC to stop the battery going flat if you aren't around, but they protect against messy surges and flickers, and you can plug your multiplug adapter into it.

Been using mine for 2 years with nothing more than a "Toshino" power surge extention lead...... so far so good it was even ok when the power transformer 20 meters from me took a direct lightning strike ,it went with a good loud bang too.

no damage to any of my equipment. Lucky ???

I'm moving to Thailand in June and want to bring my current home PC with me. (I live in the UK). Can I get away with buying a simple plug adapter for my current multi plug to run my PC, monitor and speakers? (please say yes..)

If you've other equipment it might be worth getting a couple of multisocket sets and just replacing the 3-prong UK plug with a Thai 2-prong plug (but connect the earth if you can). It's probably better to get the socket sets without leads and add your own allegedly dangerous long lead. (This hint is basically due to 'James' at www.thailand-uk.com. I remember a very frustrating hunt for an adaptor in Bangkok.)

Your PC will work just fine.

Buy a surge arrestor for the power and phone line and a UPS if you worry about losing data if (when) the power goes off.

If it is a desktop make sure the supply is properly grounded otherwise you will get a 'tickly case' (minor shocks from the metalwork caused by the mains filter in the PSU).

BUT

Why would you want to lug a PC and monitor halfway round the world, I just gave my kit to the kids and bought new here, turned out only marginally more expensive, and far less hassle. One negative, it has a Thai keyboard, can't keep the wifey off the machine now.

If you've other equipment it might be worth getting a couple of multisocket sets and just replacing the 3-prong UK plug with a Thai 2-prong plug (but connect the earth if you can). It's probably better to get the socket sets without leads and add your own allegedly dangerous long lead. (This hint is basically due to 'James' at www.thailand-uk.com. I remember a very frustrating hunt for an adaptor in Bangkok.)

If you are going to change the plug change it to a US/Japan type three prong plug that will still provide ground rather than a two pin plug. Three pin plugs are available. If electric supply has no ground then you need to make other arrangements to ground your equipment. Believe adapters are available at Carrfour and probably Home Pro if you are attached to your plug.

Good Advice so far...

I brought a surge protector extension cord thingie and used a regular travel plug thing to plug my english plug into a thai socket... but id recomend using a UPS as well just to be double sure/safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you have recently bought the latest "you beaut" PC, leave it in the UK.

PCs are a little cheaper in LOS..... keyboards are only 200B, no problems if the have Thai and English on the keys, just no 'pound' signs :o

You can get 4 or 6 socket extension cords that take all sorts of plugs, including UK ones. (Singapore and Hong Kong both use(d) UK plugs, so there is a reason for them existing.)

For use with a computer though - make sure it's earthed (i.e. the extension lead has a 3 pin plug on it, or you will get little shocks off the case if it's metal).

These extensions are commonly available in computer / electrical stores, especially places like IT City. (I even got one in Big C - a supermarket - recently, although it was 3 times the price of the regular American style 2-pin extensions.)

Do get a UPS though. Especially if you're not in central Bangkok, and plug it into that, and make sure the UPS is also earthed.

However, unless it's something special, I would wonder why you don't just take the odd expensive component (easier to pack a processor / memory and a graphics card), and then just pick up a new case / motherboard / DVD-writer in Thailand.

As for getting a pound sign on a non-UK keyboard. Just press Alt, and hold it down while you type 0163 on the numeric keypad. £

Edited by bkk_mike

As for getting a pound sign on a non-UK keyboard. Just press Alt, and hold it down while you type 0163 on the numeric keypad. £

Amazing! Where did you learn that trick? :o

Check out your character map for any other signs you might want

To use 0163 on a laptop to get the £ sign you need to:

Enable the number pad. (On my Toshiba Fn + F11)

Use the number pad keyboard. (You will see the small numbers on the front of some of the keys, usually to the right hand side. On a Toshiba the M = 0, J = 1, K = 2, L = 3, U = 4 etc)

Hope this helps

forgive me but what is a UPS? (i am taking my laptop with me to Bangkok from the UK and was under the impression that a simple adaptor would be enough)

thanks

A UPS stands for Uninterupted Power Supply.

In essense it is a big battery which is always charging from the mains power and then has an outlet power for your appliances(computer, moniter and so on). In the event of a power blackout you will still have power to your computer for a few minutes and and annoying beeping noise telling you the power is off.

forgive me but what is a UPS? (i am taking my laptop with me to Bangkok from the UK and was under the impression that a simple adaptor would be enough)

A laptop effectively has it's own internal UPS, so long as the battery is in while you're using it from the mains.