Hua Thanon...what's It Like?

Just wondering what it is like down on the southern part of the island. Is Hua Thanon a nice place? Are there any beaches down there? Nice ones?

Is it being developed like crazy like up in the north end of the island or is it a little more chilled and peaceful?

Are there many tourists or foreigners living down that way? I am thinking of moving there and would like a house in the hills, and am thinking maybe down there is a little quieter and less developed than the rest of the place. your thoughts?

Thanks.

I lived there on the main road for a long time, a bit noisy in the day with the market, fishermen, & cars going round the ring road but the nicest place for peace & quiet in the nighttime IMO, as it is predominantly muslim there are no bars & just a couple of resteraunts that have a mainly thai clientele so the place is dead at night, the beaches are not so great in comparison to other parts of the island due to the fishing & rocks but a really nice place to live all the same, especially if you can get a place on the beach as we had for less that 10k a month.

For hill side land, there is some avaiable near hua thanon & if you go nearer the butterfly garden around the corner there are some nice plots there too, I really fancy lipa noi further towards nathon as it is relativley untouched & still resonable price for land but for how long, I couldn't guess.

I live about 1Km north of Hua Thanon. The beach here is ok. Shallow water, great for children, for adults a long walk before it is deep enough to swim. Unfortunately this part is like a "trap" for garbage that is thrown into the sea. My piece of the beach is clean, but the most part is littered with dirt that predominantly is garbage from fisherman. (Instant coffee, noodles, broken foam etc).

The land between the beach and the ring road is narrow, so it can be a bit noisy. For me a lot less because there is one house in between.

At night it is quiet, only the sounds of the small waves. If you are a light sleeper you will be awake when the fishermen start there engines (with no dampers of course), but if you are like me you'll just sleep through it and don't notice it.

Hua thanon itself has no nice beaches, and because thai people without any respect for nature live there it is very dirty and sometimes smelly. I go there for the market but i would not like a place on the beach there. A little inwards it is nice though with houses available for very cheap prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm. How long ago did you eat there. Now it is rather a smelly breeze. And according to my wife (i don't eat fish) it wasn't that great and not really fresh as they are not as busy as it used to be. By the way. This place is for sale. Only 50.000 baht rent a month and 3 miljoen baht to take over.

Mmm. How long ago did you eat there. Now it is rather a smelly breeze. And according to my wife (i don't eat fish) it wasn't that great and not really fresh as they are not as busy as it used to be. By the way. This place is for sale. Only 50.000 baht rent a month and 3 miljoen baht to take over.

Eaten there 4 or 5 times last month and didn't notice any "whiffs" and my TGF seems to like it.... Am currently in BKK on business and here really is an assault on the nasal passages.... :o

Didn't know it was for sale though,cheers - Could do something interesting with that location....

• 1 month later...