2024 - Your top 3 stock picks

Posted (edited)

I might start this thread yearly. Bit late to the mark this year as Im smarter and wiser now than I was in Jan 2024 when I didn't have this idea come to me.
We can review at year end 2024 to see who can gloat a bit or alot or who gets their head dunked in cold water to waken them up from a terrible pick to choose wiser in the year ahead.

SO go on then, what is your top 3 stock, crypto or other picks from now until year end that you think will give you the best returns.

Name three stocks and give the ticker and the price today and an explanation of why you are bullish on that stock.

Of course nobody on here can give anybody else investing advise unless you are a profession advisor.

Nothing in this thread is investment advice, This is just a game for fun, a bit like fantasy football, Let's keep it that way. 

Edited by Startmeup

Posted (edited)

Ok I'll kick it off to get the ball rolling. I won't go too deep into the thesis of these a brief outline.

1 - WHC - Whitehaven coal - Price $7.70 - ASX listed - $A6.5B MC

Recently acquired assets from BHP that will more than double their coal production in Queensland Australia. Will go from being an almost fully thermal coal producer to predominantly met coal producer. Didn't use any equity to acquire the assets yet the MC has barely increased since the acquisition. Near term catalyst of selldown of 20-30% of newly aquired assets to pay off existing $1.4B in debt and resume buybacks and increase dividends. Fully franked dividends so no withholding taxes for foreign investors.

2 - ADT - Adriatic metals - $4.56 - ASX listed - Circa $A1.3B MC 

Commissioning ongoing in Bosnia, first production over the last few weeks ramping up throughout the year. A risky stage of mining investment but if they can pull it off the stock should do well. High grade precious metals and Polymetalic project. Big silver producer so if your bullish PMs especially silver this has good torque to upside there. 

2 - B2G - B2 Gold - $2.55 - NYSE - $3.3B MC

Stock is close to 52 weeks lows despite gold at all time highs. One of the world's biggest producers has had issues in Africa with government implementing a new mining code and its weighing badly on the stock. If some resolution can be reached that will lift some of the handbrake off thats weighing it down. Great management, building a new mine in Canada right now, 6% yield, close to debt free. Not alot has to go right for this to be re-rated. If gold goes higher that would be great but they dont need higher gold prices to be spitting out cash next year. On the lower costs producers globally. 2024 is a rebuilding year will go from circa 850k oz to 1.2-1.3m oz next year is what the company says.

Edited by Startmeup

1. BAE Systems 1,338 GBX

With the current political environment, arms manufacture should be good business, and while BAE has been performing well, I believe there's more to come.

2. Boeing BA NYSA 167.84

Surely they can't continue to mess up forever, so should be good opportunities for growth, and they are another military supplier.

TEGO. A cyber security company. They have a great platform. Stock was as high as $1. At $.016 at the moment. Some mamafement issues, and taking longer to market the product than they thought. I see it going well past $1, could go much higher if management gets a Nasdaq listing, or if they get bought out by a large company in their field. 

I like higher risk, higher yield investments. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

TEGO. A cyber security company. They have a great platform. Stock was as high as $1. At $.016 at the moment. Some mamafement issues, and taking longer to market the product than they thought. I see it going well past $1, could go much higher if management gets a Nasdaq listing, or if they get bought out by a large company in their field. 

I like higher risk, higher yield investments. 

The ticker symbol is TGCB on the pink sheet. Tego Cyber. 

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

1. BAE Systems 1,338 GBX

With the current political environment, arms manufacture should be good business, and while BAE has been performing well, I believe there's more to come.

2. Boeing BA NYSA 167.84

Surely they can't continue to mess up forever, so should be good opportunities for growth, and they are another military supplier.

+1 for Boeing, they will never fail. Its a hiccup. Get in whilst its low.

KWEB - Chinese tech ETF (up 20% on this already).

BATT - EV/Battery manufacture/material ETF.

Third pick, I'm not sure, been looking at GRAB recently, or just continue to DCA into A200/VHY.

I don't go into all these stocks. I bought shares when Maggie sold off the Gas, Phones and Electrics, so made quite a nice profit some years ago. Now, I just put spare cash into gold, and am doing quite well thanks.

• Like 1

Haven't followed in a while, but there is always 3 constants:

... Defence

... oil

... healthcare

I made a sh!tload of money in 2, as I don't do defense contractor stocks.  Too moral, though some of the best profits to be had.   There will always be conflicts, as simply too profitable not to have.   And they will always drive up oil prices.

Iv done ok on Rolls Royce, still doing well... have been thinking same about Boeing... As Buffet says buy quality at a good price for the long term

Posted (edited)

1) Ping An (2318 HK)

2)China Unicom (762 HK)

3) Power Asset (6 HK)

HK and China will be the best markets to be in for 2024 and 2025, My Opinion FWIW

I would probably also have a side bet on BT in the UK.

Full disclosure; I own shares in all of the above. 

Edited by wordchild

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 7:41 PM, wordchild said:

HK and China will be the best markets to be in for 2024 and 2025, My Opinion FWIW

They have been beaten up for a long time now. Just looking Unicom already bounced back strongly. Power assets holding also which looks very cyclical. These markets seem a good contrarian bet. Why those companies over any others? Alibaba being the most obvious

Some of the ones you mentioned are trading on more than one exchange, why did you choose the exchange you did?

Edited by Startmeup

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Startmeup said:

They have been beaten up for a long time now. Just looking Unicom already bounced back strongly. Power assets holding also which looks very cyclical. These markets seem a good contrarian bet. Why those companies over any others? Alibaba being the most obvious

Some of the ones you mentioned are trading on more than one exchange, why did you choose the exchange you did?

i would agree Alibaba looks pretty cheap now but i am concerned about political risk and also they have been somewhat tardy in terms of returning their massive capital surplus to shareholders.

There are many shares in HK/China that look cheap , and i own a number.

The 3 i picked  (you asked for 3) have a couple of common characteristics

1) They  have very strong balance sheets

2) They pay decent level of dividends (around 7% 2024 consensus forecasts)  which they have the capability of growing 

so they are pretty defensive. There are other shares that will do better if the market bounces strongly but i believe these 3 will do pretty well whatever the market does.

On Your points

As you mention CU has bounced strongly from its lows  with a move up from just under 4 to 5-96 HKD. However if you look further back the shares were trading over 12 HKD in 2014. All of the major China Telcos look very cheap and have announced a  strong commitment to grow their shareholder returns. China Mobile is the biggest and arguably the safest of the three, but CU has a better growth outlook (in my opinion).

I would argue that Power is not particularly cyclical, If anything,  it has been rather dull, in recent years.

It is part of the CK group of companies and its largest shareholder is CK Infrastructure ,which attempted to buy them out a few years ago.

Power is a holding company with significant positions in a number of network and power businesses around the world. Because of the nature of its underlying businesses , mainly regulated utilities, it is a pretty defensive company, it also has an extremely strong balance sheet.  

Edited by wordchild