Non - Imm O Visa Extension

This is my first Non-imm O visa after living here on a couple of back to back tourist visas with extensions. My current visa expires on 7 June 2005. I have all the supporting documentation as quoted on Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and on many posts on Thaivisa forum. My question is how long before the expiration of my current visa do I go to apply for an extension from the immigration office.

I have read on some of the posts that the time from application to approval may be in the order of weeks. I just want to make sure that my timing is right for the extension.

I am a 47 yr old Australian passport holder.

Hey - Dr. PP - wht holiday is May 11th? In my book, May 2nd and May 5th are holidays - but nothing the following week. But - I have been surprised before by "mystery" holidays - so I accept with an open mind that one might be lurking deeper into May.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony is on the 11th this year and that is a Government Holiday (although not a public holiday).

You can go for extension any day during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay. There is no need to be really early as you will receive an extension of stay for about 40 days when you make the application but it would always be prudent to allow a couple of days in case of snow.

Edited by lopburi3

The Royal Ploughing Ceremony is on the 11th this year and that is a Government Holiday (although not a public holiday).

You can go for extension any day during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay.  There is no need to be really early as you will receive an extension of stay for about 40 days when you make the application but it would always be prudent to allow a couple of days in case of snow.

There's a lot of snow forecast for BKK this month Lop :o

The date you apply is not that critical.

About a month before the visa is due to expire, is the general rule.

I few days later will not matter.

They take about 40 days to process the application and will give you the

necessary extension stamp to cover that period.

the rules are the same for the whole country, nevertheless they vary from immi to immi:

f.ex., Chok Chom (prov. Surin) : they keep telling us, come about one week before expiration, not earlier, and they will only give 30 days, and then again 30 days!

but they are always very friendly and helpful, didn't even pay being 15 days late for 90 days notice, just gave 15 days less for next one!

question (to lop, please) : does the extension has to be applied for where you live, or could it be done at any other immi office too? as Ptty f.ex. gives the stamp the same day! :o

the rules are the same for the whole country, nevertheless they vary from immi to immi:

f.ex., Chok Chom (prov. Surin) : they keep telling us, come about one week before expiration, not earlier, and they will only give 30 days, and then again 30 days!

but they are always very friendly and helpful, didn't even pay being 15 days late for 90 days notice, just gave 15 days less for next one!

question (to lop, please) : does the extension has to be applied for where you live, or could it be done at any other immi office too? as Ptty f.ex. gives the stamp the same day! :o

It really should be applied for in the nearest immigration office/office that serves your home area as they are also going to have to verify your home and home life.

Are you sure same day issue is not for retirement? Believe all the support Thai wife have to be reviewed by Bangkok first (at least in first few years).

To say I'm confused would be an understatement. I spoke to the officials at Nong Khai whilst getting the immigration clearance for the drivers licence renewal and they told me not to apply for the extension any earlier than one week prior to the expiry date (early June). They did give me written instructions in English for the documentation I would require to get the 12 Month extn. Not looking forward to the 120km drive to get clarification.

To say I'm confused would be an understatement. I spoke to the officials at Nong Khai whilst getting the immigration clearance for the drivers licence renewal and they told me not to apply for the extension any earlier than one week prior to the expiry date (early June). They did give me written instructions in English for the documentation I would require to get the 12 Month extn. Not looking forward to the 120km drive to get clarification.

Clarification of what? They told you not earlier than one week so do what they ask. Really easy and no trip required. :o

The general rule is that they will not be accepted earlier than 30 days before the end of your allowed stay. Nong Khai has requested you apply at the one week mark (which is what I also do here in Bangkok) so that is what I would do if I were you.

Clarification of what? They told you not earlier than one week so do what they ask. Really easy and no trip required. :o

The general rule is that they will not be accepted earlier than 30 days before the end of your allowed stay. Nong Khai has requested you apply at the one week mark (which is what I also do here in Bangkok) so that is what I would do if I were you.

For your first extension of one year to a non-immigrant 'O' visa you will be at immigration for at least two hours.

Both you and your wife will be interviewed at length (upto an hour each) and the answers written down longhand. They will expect you to have support documentation as necessary but also evidence of a relationship so take loads of photos, wedding photos are always popular. Photos of you both together with family are obviously good.

Take two copies of all documents, passports, wedding certificate, tabien baan, ID card, passport, bank book (all pages) letter from bank etc and both of you should sign and date both copies of everything. Take the originals too and they will be returned to you.

You will be given a 30 day extension (stamped in your passport) and told to come back exactly on that date. All the paperwork is sent to Bangkok for their decision. When you go back a month later they will say 'Not back from Bangkok yet, come back next month' and you will get another one month extension. Perhaps, but not guaranteed for the first extension, on your second return trip the visa will be there. If not you'll get yet another one month extension. Three is my maximum. All that way for a 5 minte visit. When the visa is approved they will stamp your passport, dating the one year from the date you applied, not from the date when it was approved, so you might by now end up with a nine month extension. You will also end up with a passport full of one month extension stamps which might necessitate a new passport earlier than you think.

The following year they will say 'Oh, it's you again' and the process will be a breeze, so long as you have all the paperwork and signed copies they want. No interview in the second year. In and out in 30 minutes.

All the above is from my own experience over the past four years here, living in Khon Kaen and driving two and a half hours to Nong Khai immigration who have always been unfailingly polite and helpful.

Derek

Nong Khai immigration now has office in Udon thani open 3 days a week for all visa services, no need to go long way. I think Mon, weds & Friday.Downstairs in AEK hospital

I know about that office and the woman who runs it. I believe she has some very bad days and takes it out on her farang applicants. She also has a very unflattering title --- "The Dragon Lady"

Thanks Derek (lungbing) for your post #18. Lots of good info, I thought I had all in readiness but now readdressing the whole thing. --- Double up on the photo copies for a start, preparing a photo album and copying ALL pages of my bankbook etc.

Thanks again

:o

For your first extension of one year to a non-immigrant 'O' visa you will be at immigration for at least two hours.

Both you and your wife will be interviewed at length (upto an hour each) and the answers written down longhand.  They will expect you to have support documentation as necessary but also evidence of a relationship so take loads of photos, wedding photos are always popular.  Photos of you both together with family are obviously good.

Take two copies of all documents, passports, wedding certificate, tabien baan, ID card, passport, bank book (all pages) letter from bank  etc and both of you should sign and date both copies of everything.  Take the originals too and they will be returned to you.

You will be given a 30 day extension (stamped in your passport) and told to come back exactly on that date.  All the paperwork  is sent to Bangkok for their decision.  When you go back a month later they will say  'Not back from Bangkok yet, come back next month'  and you will get another one month extension.  Perhaps, but not guaranteed for the first extension, on your second return trip the visa will be there.  If not you'll get yet another one month extension.  Three is my maximum. All that way for a 5 minte visit.  When the visa is approved they will stamp your passport, dating the one year from the date you applied,  not from the date when it was approved,  so you might by now end up with a nine month extension.  You will also end up with a passport full of one month extension stamps  which might necessitate a new passport earlier than you think.

The following year they will say 'Oh, it's you again'  and the process will be a breeze,  so long as you have all the paperwork  and signed copies they want.  No interview in the second year.  In and out in 30 minutes.

All the above is from my own experience over the past four years here, living in Khon Kaen and driving two and a half hours to Nong Khai immigration  who have always been unfailingly polite and helpful.

Derek

I agree with Doc,very informative post for future ref.

But I believe that if one's P.Port

gets filled up with stamps they can just get additional pages added to their current P.Port rather than having to apply for a new one.This is especially good to know if one has years left on his/her current P.Port. Ive had this done myself(in Costa Rica)and it took about 20 mins. at the U.S.Consulate there.