Chao Phraya Express Boat Help

Athlon

I have some questions about the Chao Phraya Express Boat.... I've taken the boat often in the past, but is there a difference between the Blue Flag Line and the Tourist Line? Is this the same line or is there a difference? I've always seen the tourist boat with a blue flag at the back, and I've never seen a regular blue line, so that's why I wonder. And when taking the tourist boat, is it possible to exit/enter at the Maharaj Pier?

Another thing is the Green-Yellow Line. I know it continues after Nonthaburi to Pak Kret, but at which piers does it stop in between? The official website says "Wat Klangkred" (N32), but then which pier is N31? And does the Green-Yellow Line stop there? I hope someone can help me with it.

Edited by Athlon

ATAIK this tourist line has been abolished-since at least 1 year-too few tourists etc.

there is NO yellow/green line-these are separate-in fact all boats follow the same-obviously a river restricts that. But the colour-flags mean EXPRESS=some stops are not served. This is utmost clearly shown on maps at about any pier in the central area. Also some of the flagged ''lines'' only run in the peaks/mo-fr. as of now there are orange, yellow and green (and not=normal=thammada). yellow for sure only runs peaks-with other type bigger boats-and cost a lot more.

This -again AFAIK- the Nonburi-PKret section-which is run as a separate shuttle and peaks only.

I saw a "Chao Phraya Tourist Boat" just a few days ago. They used to run the large boats only during peak hours. Then they got the bright idea of running them through the middle of the day to rip off anyone silly enough to pay whatever sky-high fare they are charging.

I don't know "Maharat Pier" by that name. If you know another name for it, or know a nearby landmark, I can likely tell you the nearest pier.

ATAIK this tourist line has been abolished-since at least 1 year-too few tourists etc.

there is NO yellow/green line-these are separate-in fact all boats follow the same-obviously a river restricts that. But the colour-flags mean EXPRESS=some stops are not served. This is utmost clearly shown on maps at about any pier in the central area. Also some of the flagged ''lines'' only run in the peaks/mo-fr. as of now there are orange, yellow and green (and not=normal=thammada). yellow for sure only runs peaks-with other type bigger boats-and cost a lot more.

This -again AFAIK- the Nonburi-PKret section-which is run as a separate shuttle and peaks only.

This is pretty close from my experience. I take the boat to a client's office from Central Pier up near Nonthaburi pretty regularly. Essentially the Orange and Yellow and Yellow/Green flags run pretty much the same length, but not identical. Some run all the way up to Pak Kret and some run all the way down to Ratburana and Wat something or other. When they do this and when they run depends on the time of day and which direction you're going, which takes a bit to wrap your head around. Yellow flag boats and Yellow/Green flag boats run South to North and North to South starting and stopping at different times depending on which direction you're heading. As someone mentioned, it's best to look at the schedule. Fares vary as well, depending on which flag and how far you're going, but they're really cheap either way. You're talking about a difference between about THB 13 and THB 18 for the same trip that I run depending on whether you take orange or yellow.

http://www.chaophrayaboat.co.th/routemap_fare_e.htm

Enjoy! I do. The thing that will really bake your noodle after you get the express boat down is figuring out which piers have either ferries or small hire boats and which don't and why they do and when they do. That still drives me nuts at some of the smaller ones. Also, don't pay attention to any information you find telling you that the big boats run down to Khlong Toey now - they don't. Apparently the city wanted them to, but it didn't work out. Still, you can catch a sampan from KT up to or back from, I believe, wat whatever it is (South of Ratburana), during rush hours.