Thais Hunt For Missing Hippo At Chiang Mai Night Safari

george

Some cunning Thai Hippo called Harry has escaped prison and is on the run.

Harry'd heard there was a Hot Female Hippo in the area and is hunting her down. We suspect though that this is only Rosie O'Donnell, who's currently on vacation in Thailand (see a shot above of Rosie dabbling in her Thai villa's private pool)!

Harry was pretending to have a nice soak in the bath, while waiting for the security guard to fall asleep. When the moron guard nodded off, he sawed off his restraints with a file sent to him inside a giant cake! In no time, he made good his escape!

Harry's cunning disguise as a fat, bad-mannered, smelly Frenchmen has since been fooling the authorities.

None of em can catch the fat criminal mastermind in the beret and huge striped shirt who's chewing garlic 24/7!

Nice work Monsieur Harry Le Hipppo!

Edited by dublindog

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mistreatment of ALL animals, wild or not, in this so called buddhist country makes me sick every single day.

It is unbelievable and a shame for every human beeing how Thais treat all kinds of lifeforms. In my opinion they are in the most cases not worth called Buddhists!

Buddhism in Thailand is in most cases restricted to burn incense sticks and pray to get rich soon, and to firecrackers. Until today I did not meet anybody who read the Dharma, and who does not read it, will most probably not live it.

This just goes to show that baby hippos are more intelligent than Thai security guards

I hope they find the hippo alive and well, can't say I feel the same about the security guard

I bet the hippo would do better in an IQ test than some of these Thai's :)

I bet the hippo would do better in an IQ test than some of these Thai's :)

Congrats, you evoke the 'typical' response from this typically pathetic OP 'breaking news' item but importantly you get to feel superior as a bonus (!)... But MOST importantly, TV reaps massive page impressions which pays the rent (regardless if viewers actually clicked on any of the waning TV sponsors banners;)

Feeling swindled? Well, perhaps just call a 'Babe in the city' or others with similar titular 'feel good for a price' value...

All in all, yet another completely successful TV pork barrel o' breaking news... (with crackling)

Cheers! (or perhaps in this case simply *Snort*)

Edited by baht&sold

Fears for baby hippo

By The Nation

Published on December 7, 2009

gallery_327_1086_254.jpg

An internal investigation has been ordered at the Chiang Mai Night Safari after a baby hippopotamus went missing.

Narong Tananuwat, an administrator of the nature theme park, said yesterday that the onemonthold female was in bad health and probably could not survive without human care.

"In case she's dead, we can find the carcass following the stench within a day or two," he said.

The case first broke as a rumour and the zoo just admitted it yesterday.

Narong said he did not believe the disappearance was related to conflicts among zoo staff.

The baby hippo was under intensive care. She had received an injection and was kept in a tank filled with warm water under 24hour watch.

However, the unnamed animal apparently climbed out and wandered off after a keeper fell asleep on the job.

Narong said her footprints led through a sewer main. A team of 100 personnel was dispatched to track the animal but has not yet found her.

The Night Safari has 1,751 animals on exhibit on about 300 rai of the 819rai compound.

"The zoo is surrounded by thick jungle, making a search for her difficult," Narong said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/7

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

What's the value of a female hippo baby?

Where there's value, there's possibility for foul play.

Granted, we're all speculating here, but here's another scenario.

The baby is reported as sick. The baby dies/drowns. The security guard panics, as it happened on his watch, so he disposes of it and makes up a soggy story that it walked away.

If the average person happens to be hanging around a Thai building with any connection to officaldom (a zoo clinic, for example), ...if that person does anything odd (walks strangely, etc) someone is going to notice. Thais are no less observant/curious than any other people. Now take a baby hippo walking out of a building and out on the grounds. Are we to believe that no one noticed? Too weird.

There are American Indians from the SW USA who are hired to search for people in hot dry deserts stretching hundreds of square miles, with nothing more to go on than some very faint week-old footprints. Then there are dogs who can trace the faintest month-old scent and find a trail. Are dogs being used in the search? Doubtful: that's thinking outside the box, and we know how common that type of thought process is here in LOS.

Was it seen getting on the shuttle bus and then leaving thru the front gate or did it slip out the back way.

The story gets funnier everytime the Zoo makes a statement.

Edited by Artisi

It's probably been eaten by now. I remember about eight years ago when 400 crocs escaped from the crocodile farm in Pattaya, not all them were retrieved.

A baby hippo has a similar physical resemblance to a pig doesn't it?

The som tam carts should be well stocked for the next couple of days then.

Anyone for a bit of kao neow and hippo yang?

Looks like Ole Somchai must have had his sticky rice, Somtam and Lao Kao and fallen asleep, or he got paid off so that the Hippo has been smuggled out.

More likely a strong possibility. Falling asleep is a reasonable excuse here as it is so common not just in security companies, but is common even when you walk into many slow businesses. Often I walk in and the find a girl asleep on the front counter, :) I gently tap on the glass to wake her, and receive a yawn and usually a polite smile, then a bit of fear at a farang is standing in front of me! :D

Considering the wages these people are on, selling an African hippo on the black market is far more likely to earn a heap more money than a year of sleeping, sorry, working, in a security firm. :D TIT! Well, surprise surprise surprise no hippo found. :D

Are dogs being used in the search? Doubtful: that's thinking outside the box, and we know how common that type of thought process is here in LOS.

I'm afraid using tracker dogs is well and truly "inside" the box. Pretty standard.

When LOS has mastered all the "inside the box" solutions to everything maybe then they can step up to "outside the box" strategies.

the amount of racial stereotyping of Thais on this thread is a bit alarming, but not too surprising.

Anyway, funny story, really, and a bit sad for the hippo. Can't believe it, it really does sound like fiction this story, doesn't it?

The mistreatment of ALL animals, wild or not, in this so called buddhist country makes me sick every single day.

It is unbelievable and a shame for every human beeing how Thais treat all kinds of lifeforms. In my opinion they are in the most cases not worth called Buddhists!

Buddhism in Thailand is in most cases restricted to burn incense sticks and pray to get rich soon, and to firecrackers. Until today I did not meet anybody who read the Dharma, and who does not read it, will most probably not live it.

THANKS fxe, you are using much better words as I can write with my little english but I meant the same.

Someone here wrote it is the same like in western countries and the churches there. I doubt it. Everybody knows that westerners does not visit churches so much like Thais are visiting their temples. Thais are living the Buddhism, even if they dont understand what it means but its not their fault. Like I said many times before. It is the fault of the government which like to keep ppl stupid. Stupid ppl dont ask questions etc etc etc.....

If one here doesnt believe in the unaware of Thaipeople and the Buddhism, just ask your tirak for the full name of Buddha and what she/he said....you wont believe that :D :D

Anyway, some NEWS on the HIPPO case ? :)

Edited by moskito

Thai people have no compassion for animals at all. so many times,

I believe this is nonsense. I see Thais feeding feral dogs and cats everyday in Pattaya. I never see them running over dogs and cats either. In other countries in the region they're looked upon as food.

From what I see generally, Thais love animals.

My wife's family lives in a village outside Lampang, we visit a few times a month and a local dog would come to see us as we would feed him. He was owned by a family not too far away. We liked the dog, so i told the wife to ask if we could have him to take back to Chiangmai. We knew the owners were getting tired of feeding him. So they ATE him...the family pet...don't have to go to Issan for dog meat!

maybe just coincidence but Ian F. Arrived in town yesterday. Slayer of wild animals and Isarn virgins. I reckon he shot it from his cab with his AK 47 and currently at taxidermist but we should see endless dead hippo picks soon not to be confused with the virgins, they kinda have the same facial expressions :)

Edited by zorro1

why is it okay to eat a chicken but not a Hippo? last time I watched animal planet never saw a chicken kill a human. Hippos kill more humans than any other African beast . Bring on the BBQ I say before it gets any bigger :)

Edited by zorro1

the amount of racial stereotyping of Thais on this thread is a bit alarming

Especially when you consider how frequently Thais are accused of being xenophobic on this forum.

I did laugh at the poster who said perhaps the guard was hipponotized! :)

While it would certainly appear the guard was not doing his job, I do have to tell you that one of the security guards at my condo recently had to work 18 hours straight, 8 hours off, work another 18 hours straight. Wonder how tired we'd be doing that?

MISSING BABY HIPPO

Her carcass found

By The Nation

Her carcass found

A carcass of a one-month-old hippopotamus that went missing a week ago was found on Monday in a sewer not far from a medical care where she was last seen.

The unnamed baby hippo went missing from a medical care of the Chiang Mai Night Safari where she was put under intensive care after being sick. The animal received an injection and seemed to be in a better condition.

She was then kept in a tank filled with warm water under 24-hour watch on November 29.

Officials learnt that she went missing the following day. She apparently climbed out of the tank and wandered off after a keeper fell asleep on duty.

The Chiang Mai Night Safari authority has just admitted on Sunday the rumours that the baby hippo went missing. It claimed that it had earlier used a team of 100 personnel to hunt for her but failed to locate her.

On Monday, the authority used sniffing dogs together with police to help locate the animal. Finally the dogs led the team to find her carcass.

Initial investigation said that after wandering from the tank, the animal may go into the sewer to find water. However it may be unable to get out of the sewer.

She may die from having no food and she was weak because of illness.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/7

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]